Digital Foundry--Face-Off: Metro Redux

#11DeschainRedPosted 9/1/2014 6:45:12 AM
bossk5 posted...
Of course the ps4 version trumps the One version... You wouldn't have made this topic if it were the other way around.

Lmao true.
#12mygoodluckcharmPosted 9/1/2014 6:46:26 AM
At least the x1 has better lighting though..
#13casper316Posted 9/1/2014 6:51:24 AM(edited)
quincy2000a posted...
Metro Last Light Redux Video Comparison: PS4 Trumps Xbox One, PC Is Still The Superior Version

http://gamingbolt.com/metro-last-light-redux-video-comparison-ps4-trumps-xbox-one-pc-is-still-the-superior-version#HCGf4WIIMaQ7OqrE.99

from your own DF article

There are far more discussion points in comparing the two PC versions of Metro 2033 than there are when we look at the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 editions of the Redux, which are mostly the same. There's a resolution difference of course - 912p on Xbox One vs 1080p on PlayStation 4 - but owing to the muted colour palette, the 40 per cent resolution boost in favour of the Sony platform manifests as a slightly clearer image, where the difference only really comes to the fore on foliage in the brighter outdoor areas and when eyeballing high resolution textures up-close.

Much more noticeable is the impact of the anti-aliasing. Post-process anti-aliasing is employed on both versions, resulting in shimmer around moving edges. This is most pronounced on the lower resolution Xbox One version, but it is also visible on PS4. We mentioned previously that some of the leading lights in next-gen rendering are looking into new anti-aliasing techniques that seek to address this, something we hope to see in some of the new games arriving in Q4 this year (keep an eye on Far Cry 4 in particular). We're curious to see how the removal of temporal artefacting/shimmer impacts differences in resolution.

Other than that, the differences are minimal. Curiously, a red-tinted lens-flare effect seen in the Metro 2033 prologue scene is present on Xbox One and PC, but absent on the PlayStation 4 version of the game - a minor, fleeting curiosity that will almost certainly be patched. Other than that, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the Metro titles are a match. We got the idea that maybe there were slight ambient occlusion differences - but owing to the constantly changing lighting, it's difficult to precisely nail down and may not be there at all. Certainly there is no major difference in overall presentation aside from the resolution difference and the resultant influence on anti-aliasing quality.Moving onto Metro Last Light, it's interesting to note that there are no further differences between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One editions of the game. What is clear is that it is the more modern title, originally developed from the ground up with higher-level PC hardware in mind - and this manifests especially in terms of even higher quality texture detail, all of which carries across to both of the new-wave consoles. The real question is whether the upgrades make it a worthwhile upgrade for PC owners. Well, remember that all the DLC is bundled, but it is fair to say that while the 4A Engine enhancements are welcome, it is just an additional sheen of technical detail added to the title - not the game-changing leap seen when the title is compared between PS3 and PS4, for example.

go away troll
---
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BlaseCasper316
XBL Gamertag: Casper316
#14BeefEasterPosted 9/1/2014 7:42:02 AM
RuinerEraser posted...
puffnbillys420 posted...
What's the verdict?

No difference apparently, besides the lighting in Xbox 1 looking better and brighter.

where does it say that?
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg
#15casper316Posted 9/1/2014 7:52:26 AM
BeefEaster posted...
RuinerEraser posted...
puffnbillys420 posted...
What's the verdict?

No difference apparently, besides the lighting in Xbox 1 looking better and brighter.

where does it say that?

look at the videos you can barely tell any differences if at all between Xbox One and PS4 there minimal at best.
---
#16turtle_owns_youPosted 9/1/2014 8:01:42 AM
No no no. Didn't you know that if the resolution is less than ps4 then the screen is basically blank? DF has been preaching this to me all year so it must be true.

It's a shame really. I never knew my xbox one screen was blank while enjoying every minute of it. I suppose xbox players enjoy more in life than ps4 players?

Now to my opinion. They will never look different because no one will play both at the same time with the same variables. For example room lighting. Glare. And even then you probably wouldn't be able to image the other while looking at the current. So basically people are giving DF tonnes of clicks for no reason giving them loads of money and allowing them to attack peoples insecurities.

Bye.
#17Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/1/2014 8:05:05 AM
X1 version has washed out brown colors while PS4 seems to have more sharper detail in the textures. Fairly large difference.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#18Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/1/2014 8:05:59 AM
turtle_owns_you posted...
No no no. Didn't you know that if the resolution is less than ps4 then the screen is basically blank? DF has been preaching this to me all year so it must be true.

It's a shame really. I never knew my xbox one screen was blank while enjoying every minute of it. I suppose xbox players enjoy more in life than ps4 players?

Now to my opinion. They will never look different because no one will play both at the same time with the same variables. For example room lighting. Glare. And even then you probably wouldn't be able to image the other while looking at the current. So basically people are giving DF tonnes of clicks for no reason giving them loads of money and allowing them to attack peoples insecurities.

Bye.

You don't need to play them side by side to know the difference, all you need is to see the other version.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
#19casper316Posted 9/1/2014 8:10:51 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
X1 version has washed out brown colors while PS4 seems to have more sharper detail in the textures. Fairly large difference.

it does not, lol if it looks washed out to you I'd suggest you check the color settings on your TV. if anything every PS4 video I've seen the colors look washed out and dimmer to me. stop trolling when you have no idea wtf you are talking about.
---
#20Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/1/2014 8:14:11 AM
casper316 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

it does not, lol if it looks washed out to you I'd suggest you check the color settings on your TV. if anything every PS4 video I've seen the colors look washed out and dimmer to me. stop trolling when you have no idea wtf you are talking about.

You're like the biggest troll on this board.

I'm not going to bother to post the side by side because you'll go criminal and swear it's not true until you turn blue in the face.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2