Why is it so difficult to make a console that does 1080p and 120fps?

#11Sith JediPosted 9/1/2014 5:41:27 PM
known2FAIL posted...
Dieinafire1 posted...
90% of console users play on tvs and majority are not 120 hz even if they say they are. If you want 120 or 144 hz you need a gaming monitor. So the high fps market is a pc thing and not worth it to Sony or Microsoft

Didn't know the Hz was directly proportional to the FPS. Then is it laziness that each console doesn't consistently pull 1080p with 60fps without any hiccups or is there more to it?

It's a balancing act. To reach 1080p60, sacrifices need to be made. Those sacrifices generally mean lower quality textures/lighting/ai/draw distance and less objects on screen. That's why devs are hovering around 900p, that's where the conditions are balancing for the best possible graphics.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/
#12known2FAIL(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 5:42:57 PM
Sith Jedi posted...
known2FAIL posted...
Dieinafire1 posted...
90% of console users play on tvs and majority are not 120 hz even if they say they are. If you want 120 or 144 hz you need a gaming monitor. So the high fps market is a pc thing and not worth it to Sony or Microsoft

Didn't know the Hz was directly proportional to the FPS. Then is it laziness that each console doesn't consistently pull 1080p with 60fps without any hiccups or is there more to it?

It's a balancing act. To reach 1080p60, sacrifices need to be made. Those sacrifices generally mean lower quality textures/lighting/ai/draw distance and less objects on screen. That's why devs are hovering around 900p, that's where the conditions are balancing for the best possible graphics.

So for the noob questions but is this the case for PC as well?
---
Guess what... I like Micheal Bay movies. Am I crazy? Nope. I'm a guy that likes movies that entertain me and don't judge movies under a microscope. Sue me
#13holden4everPosted 9/1/2014 5:46:50 PM
For pc it's a matter of more power.
---
http://thebulldogs.com.au/media/logo_2010.png http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/holden4ever/ripqld.jpg
#14Sith JediPosted 9/1/2014 5:47:04 PM
known2FAIL posted...
Sith Jedi posted...
known2FAIL posted...
Dieinafire1 posted...

So for the noob questions but is this the case for PC as well?

To a lesser extent. But PCs have the advantage of letting the user choose how they want to balance it based on their rig.
---
#15Dieinafire1Posted 9/1/2014 5:47:51 PM
PC the more horsepower your system has the more you can do. In the games options you can change all the settings you like and different settings effect fps. You can tweak a lot more to find the performance you like
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 ghz | MSI 990FXA-GD65 V2 | EVGA SLI TITANS | 16GB 1866 DDR3 | 850W Corsair | Win8.1 64bit | 3TB HDD 256 SSD | Hyper 212 Evo | 4K | PS4|Xbox1
#16LittleCrispyPosted 9/1/2014 5:48:38 PM
If you have a friend that games on PC, go play a game and mess around with the graphic settings and see how it can drastically change the performance. If they can run newer games at ultra, 1080p or higher, 60fps or higher, ask them how much that computer cost them and ask yourself if you would pay that much for a console.
#17known2FAIL(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 5:50:00 PM
holden4ever posted...
For pc it's a matter of more power.

Is it the lack of power in the current consoles that are causing the inconsistsncies or is it our TVs that are holding us back? Instead of 4K they should increase the TVs HZ if that's the case.
---
Guess what... I like Micheal Bay movies. Am I crazy? Nope. I'm a guy that likes movies that entertain me and don't judge movies under a microscope. Sue me
#18Sith JediPosted 9/1/2014 5:50:26 PM
Now that I think about it, it would be awesome if console games had a quality slider. To let us choose lower resolution for increased frame rate/texture quality or killing AA for more resolution, etc.
---
#19known2FAIL(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2014 5:51:30 PM
Sith Jedi posted...
Now that I think about it, it would be awesome if console games had a quality slider. To let us choose lower resolution for increased frame rate/texture quality or killing AA for more resolution, etc.

That would be awesome. I'm suprised it's not done yet.
---
#20h3IIfir3pho3nixPosted 9/1/2014 5:56:25 PM
known2FAIL posted...
Sith Jedi posted...

That would be awesome. I'm suprised it's not done yet.

TLOUR has an option to lock the framerate to 30 FPS for better graphics.
---
'My rig is so powerful it doesn't render individual pixels, just one continuous image of astonishing detail. The P in 1440p stands for peasant.' -KingDFizzle