I would pay money to download things faster

#31fon1988Posted 9/2/2014 8:23:24 AM
I have suddenlink *pukes* and my internet when downloading games/updates on Live takes a considerable dip. It's pretty awful and I have next to the most expensive package you can get from them.
---
NNID/Gamer Tag: PoisonShroom
Greatest line in a NES game ever: "Kill all babies" from Exodus.
#32Charity_Diary(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 11:43:34 AM
ComradeRyan posted...
Charity_Diary posted...
Then wtf am I supposed to do? I just checked, and even with a promotion, what I have (20mb/s dl + cable) costs over $100. And I can't get any other ISP, because Time Warner contracted out my entire town, and even if we weren't "obligated" to use TWC, they're the only ISP available here anyway, unless you count the satellite ones.

Move to a country that believes in free market principles and not one that embraces crony capitalism.

Europe treats their children worse, and is more violent than the US due to gun control.

I'd move to an anarcho-capitalist environment if there was one. Otherwise, it'd be like moving from a cage in a zoo... to another cage :(
---
Trey Songz #1 Fan!
Charity_Diary
#33Styrof0amPosted 9/3/2014 12:19:14 PM
nableet posted...
Am I the only one that gets the feeling that TC is confusing MB and Mb?

Nope, me too.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page ...

Megabit per second is abbreviated Mbit/s.
This is NOT the same as megabytes per second. Megabyte is abbreviated MB.

To convert Mbit/s to MB/s, divide the Mbit/s by 8 (because there are 8 bits to a byte), eg. 20Mbit/s divided by 8 is 2.5, which means under perfect conditions a 20Mbit/s connection will download 2.5 megabyte per second.

To calculate the expected download time, convert the download to MB as well, eg. a 40gb game is 40x1024 = 40960MB

Divide this by you MB/s download speed; 40960/2.5 = 16384 seconds

Now divide this result by 60 to get minutes; 10384/60 = 273minute (circa)
Divide this by 60 (again) to get hours; 273/60 = 4.55hours to download a 40GB file

... Under perfect conditions. This means no overhead, no one else using the connection, only the download is running. Add wifi to the equation and you get your first big overhead.

---

No commentary. No advertisements. Gameplay only ... http://www.youtube.com/user/kyllingefod
#34RybalPosted 9/3/2014 1:28:19 PM
leftturney posted...
carljenk posted...
No the problem is you are downloading 2014 games with 2014 internet on 2008 hardware.

The ponies are out in full force. PSN must be down again.

You're confusing PC fans for PS fans.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#35SuddenlinkHelpPosted 9/3/2014 4:06:39 PM
fon1988 posted...
I have suddenlink *pukes* and my internet when downloading games/updates on Live takes a considerable dip. It's pretty awful and I have next to the most expensive package you can get from them.

Hi fon1988 Thomas with Suddenlink here. Im sorry to hear that youve been experiencing issues with your internet service. Id be happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to email me directly. My email address is socialsupport-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks! -Thomas