The Reason Why the Xbox One and the PS4 Won't recapture the Golden Age of Gaming

#1BraksSandwichPosted 9/2/2014 12:47:16 PM
The fact of the matter is, is that this new generation only cares about Graphics and Exclusives and whether a game runs at 920p vs 1080p 30fps vs 60fps. Fact is, Is that there is little in the way of creativity from either console that makes me want to ever get both consoles again. I had bought a PS4 at Launch and then a week after Christmas I had bought a Xbox One.

I took both Back.

Why you ask?

It's Simple. Neither company cares about producing games with great gameplay, great storylines, Good offline multiplayer and lack creativity. All we get from both companies is a bunch of HD remakes and the same game series (Halo, CoD, Gears, Uncharted, TLOF, Madden, 2K, ect.). No creativity. No imagination on how to make a unique game anymore.

Back in the 90s when we had the first and best console wars between Sega and Nintendo, They were finding all sorts of querky ways to try and out duel themselves. We had Mario vs Sonic. We had Games like Banjo Kazooie, Streets of Rage, Comix Zone, Goldeneye 007, Bubsy, Road Rash, FF, LOZ, Tecmo Superbowl, Ecco the Dolphin, Mario Kart, Pokemon, NFL Blitz, Virtua Fighter, ect.

We had other companies try to join in and see them either rise to stardom (GameBoy) or Fall from grace quicker than the Houston Texans (Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar)

That was the golden age. Where kids sat around and played games together. They didn't limit their library to only a handful of games where they could go online, camp or use glitches to get ahead, or scream/curse with their 7 year old whiny voices. I remember the days where I could have 24 people over and we would have a huge Mortal Kombat or Super Smash Bros Tournament. Today, You can't do that because the interaction and multiplayer experience of having someone next to you play is pretty much dead. It's been dead since 2009.

You spend 60 bucks for a game today. Then you have to download the game to your harddrive. Then you tend to buy all the DLC (Additional 40 bucks in many cases) so that way you can have all the features of the game. Remember when games use to be sent out complete with little or No Glitches? That you could buy a game like Legend of Zelda OOT for 50 bucks and have the greatest time of your life. I still play it. I still have my Genesis, My N64, my Super Nintendo, My PSX and PS2 and my Original Xbox.

Trust me, We won't get any pioneer games anymore. Just a bunch of games that will become irrelevant within the next quarter profit sells. People get old of Today's games rather quickly. Remember seeing 3D graphics from SM64 for the first time, Or doing an Intense 5 day Journey to beat FF7, or experiencing Multiplayer from Mario Party to SSB, to Mortal Kombat, to Marval vs Capcom, to even the Wrestling games back then.

Quality of Gameplay>Graphics, How many systems are sold, How many Exclusives are on a system.

The golden age from 1989-2004. It's dead Now. People care more about BluRay Players, Netflix, Stuff that isn't gaming over the actual Games.

You know why the Wii did so much better than the 360 and PS3 when it was released? Because it was different and Unique. Something that's Lacking in Today's gaming world.

And No. I don't hold any alliance to any company or maker. I'm just simply a Game who sticks to playing the thousands of games from the golden age than shelling out thousands of dollars on a system that will be obsolete within a few years from all companies.
#2adonfrazPosted 9/2/2014 12:50:54 PM
Sorry you feel that way.

I enjoy today's games as much I did when I was younger.
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst
#3kidwgmPosted 9/2/2014 12:52:22 PM(edited)
adonfraz posted...
Sorry you feel that way.

I enjoy today's games as much I did when I was younger.

Edit: I'm 36 and been playing games since I was around 6-7.
---
Currently Playing: Metro Redux and PvZ:GW.
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#4duericPosted 9/2/2014 12:59:28 PM
So all of this was punctuated by the Wii beating the PS3/360 because it offered something different that died with it?

Fads are completely different than innovation.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#5BraksSandwich(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 1:00:21 PM
dueric posted...
So all of this was punctuated by the Wii beating the PS3/360 because it offered something different that died with it?

You mean that same Innovation the Xbox uses with the Kinect? Absolutely the same thing.
#6duericPosted 9/2/2014 1:01:40 PM
BraksSandwich posted...
dueric posted...

You mean that same Innovation the Xbox uses with the Kinect? Absolutely the same thing.

Who said Kinect was innovation?
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#7BraksSandwich(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 1:03:52 PM
dueric posted...
BraksSandwich posted...
dueric posted...

The 13 and 14 year olds on here screaming about how the Xbox One is the greatest console of all time when they haven't picked up a Sega Genesis, N64 or PSX controller before.
#8youngskillzPosted 9/2/2014 1:04:15 PM
kinect is an integral part of xbox an will never be unbundled.
---
Metal Bands -- Remaining Chaos, Ghoulchapel, Walking Across Jupiter, Widek, Deals Death, Mors Principium Est, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Godsire, Allegaeon.
#9duericPosted 9/2/2014 1:07:57 PM
BraksSandwich posted...
dueric posted...
BraksSandwich posted...
dueric posted...

The 13 and 14 year olds on here screaming about how the Xbox One is the greatest console of all time when they haven't picked up a Sega Genesis, N64 or PSX controller before.

What does any of this have to do with what I said?

Ya know what. Forget it. I'm sorry I even replied.

You give us older gamers a bad name, dude. If you really were a gamer, you'd appreciate just how far the medium has come and stop living in the past for shock value on a message board to counter what a bunch of "kids" say.

What a colossal waste of time writing all that out.
---
#10MetroidFan9999Posted 9/2/2014 1:16:42 PM
It takes way more effort and money to make games nowadays, it's why publishers play it safe.

I have faith in the industry now moreso than last gen, simply because these console manufacturers have made a point to ease development as much as possible. But you have to understand one thing...many of those titles you mentioned are japanese, and due to the handheld/wii craze, they've taken their sweet time in getting up to the standards of the rest of the development community. Nintendo even made that point known, saying that Wii-U game development is forcing them to have about 4x the development resources than last gen, it's the main reason why the Nintendo took so long (and is still taking long) getting games out for the system. Developing for those types of graphics requires learning alot more techniques in doing so. Luckily the same techniques are widely used this generation, so the step up isn't that huge.

Most of the stuff you mentioned is mainly nostalgia though, and the jumps in graphics from generation to generation.

This generation looks like it will be amazing, not just due to the AAA games released, but there is also a large focus on indies as well. If AAA publishers choose not to create new things, then look to indie developers that choose to. Some of the indies already released and in the pipeline look amazing.
---
For a good laugh - http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/