Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Help!!

#11Sith JediPosted 9/2/2014 10:48:46 PM
Just went to the doctor the other day for carpal tunnel/tendonitis. Prescribed 550mg of Naproxen (Aleve) twice a day and it worked great. No pain at all now. Just make sure to take it with a meal, it's pretty rough on the stomach at first.

Mine was from a combination of video games, guitar and working at a computer for 8 hours a day.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bandin6385/
#12Darkness3389(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 10:57:06 PM
Thanks guys. I have been using the computer a lot more often because its summer and I don't have a summer job. I have a brace that I'm wearing. Hopefully this will go away because I start school in two weeks and I'm majoring in graphic design so it hard to use photoshop, illustration and indesign with just one hand. I'm resting it for this week and next. Sucks that Destiny is out next week and I have it pre-ordered. For those with CTS do you get tingling and a pinching feeling in the fingers at times and the forearm too? I have no pain in my back so I don't think its a pinched nerve back there. How long does it usually take for the damn tingling and pinching feeling to go away? Will I be able to still game afterwards of course doing stretches so this won't occur again?
---
GT- EndingEye - Patriots, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy & Kings Fan
Kobe Bryant 81 points V.S. Toronto Raptor 1/22/06 Historic
#13kayoticdreamzPosted 9/2/2014 11:15:51 PM(edited)
Im going to blunt TC....if you have nerve damage or carpel tunnel or some variation of hand and tendon and nerve damage......try and minimize your use of that hand for focused tasks like writing or keyboard or whatever. your hand isn't dead or useless but anything that requires focus on the hand will cause problems, sometimes its unavoidable other times it isn't.

also don't then start over using the other hand as that will just tire out the other arm......

Ill also say because xbox one doesn't come with a universal turn off vibration feature(but hey we now have a snap achievements app!!!!!! I tell ya who cares about hand pain when I can snap achievements!!!!) like the 360 I will advise getting out the wire cutter, a tiny screw driver, a needle nose, and electric tape and voiding your warranty and manually ripping out the vibration cords(though truthfully the guide I followed used different but similar things)....google it.....if you know what you are doing it takes five minutes....if you are like me and don't know what you are doing it will take an hour.

why you ask?? because vibrations are only going to make this problem worse. trust me TURN OFF VIBRATIONS.....since a new game I bought like madden does not include this option.....it was either waste 50 dollars on the new game or play it in severe pan.so no not all new games have this option. I know the newest need for speed didn't and ryse didn't either and Im sure there are others.

as for your career choice of graphic design...let me just suggest doing something else as this problem is only going to get infinitely worse as time goes on....this isn't something that tends to go away. its not life threatening but it is irritating enough to force a few life style changes.....one being not getting a computer job.

EDIT:

as for the brace....Ive had more than one doctor tell me it doesn't help....and you know what? it really never did. the damage is in the nerves and tendons....a brace just holds something in place but it cant hold nerves and tendons in place.
#14Bellum_SacrumPosted 9/2/2014 11:27:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as well as other wrist/finger related issues are pretty much either hereditary or due to misuse on the part of the individual himself.

We know by now exactly why typists would get CTS (because their posture when typing was completely wrong) so the same should apply to game controllers.

So far the worst I've seen is people having their index and middle finders lingering over the shoulder buttons with only their ring and little fingers supporting the weight of the controller. It doesn't take a genius to realize you're just begging for issues if you're holding it like that.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#15Darkness3389(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 11:42:13 PM
kayoticdreamz posted...
Im going to blunt TC....if you have nerve damage or carpel tunnel or some variation of hand and tendon and nerve damage......try and minimize your use of that hand for focused tasks like writing or keyboard or whatever. your hand isn't dead or useless but anything that requires focus on the hand will cause problems, sometimes its unavoidable other times it isn't.

also don't then start over using the other hand as that will just tire out the other arm......

Ill also say because xbox one doesn't come with a universal turn off vibration feature(but hey we now have a snap achievements app!!!!!! I tell ya who cares about hand pain when I can snap achievements!!!!) like the 360 I will advise getting out the wire cutter, a tiny screw driver, a needle nose, and electric tape and voiding your warranty and manually ripping out the vibration cords(though truthfully the guide I followed used different but similar things)....google it.....if you know what you are doing it takes five minutes....if you are like me and don't know what you are doing it will take an hour.

why you ask?? because vibrations are only going to make this problem worse. trust me TURN OFF VIBRATIONS.....since a new game I bought like madden does not include this option.....it was either waste 50 dollars on the new game or play it in severe pan.so no not all new games have this option. I know the newest need for speed didn't and ryse didn't either and Im sure there are others.

as for your career choice of graphic design...let me just suggest doing something else as this problem is only going to get infinitely worse as time goes on....this isn't something that tends to go away. its not life threatening but it is irritating enough to force a few life style changes.....one being not getting a computer job.

EDIT:

as for the brace....Ive had more than one doctor tell me it doesn't help....and you know what? it really never did. the damage is in the nerves and tendons....a brace just holds something in place but it cant hold nerves and tendons in place.

What do you suggest if not the brace? My sister had carpal tunnel and used as brace as well as stretching and it got better.

Also too late...I'm in my last year in college studying graphic design. I guess I'll just have to find some way to deal with this. I never ever had any arm or hand issues at all before and think its really because I over used it this summer since I mainly chilled at home and used the laptop with the occasional gaming. Also can you confirm if you had the same symptoms as I did? I haven't been checked out by a neurologist yet...going to get a referral tomorrow, but an acupuncturist checked me out and said I had a mild form of it. I also did the Phalen test and did get some tingling in my left, but not right hand. Did you get occasional pinching sensation in the inside forearm or random places on the arm and tingling/pins and needle feeling in the fingers randomly or doing things that cause the wrist to bend? I sometime hug my pillow asleep and hang my wrist off of it and that's when I get the tingling feeling. It usually starts in 30 seconds.
---
GT- EndingEye - Patriots, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy & Kings Fan
Kobe Bryant 81 points V.S. Toronto Raptor 1/22/06 Historic
#16mjc0961Posted 9/3/2014 1:54:42 AM
kayoticdreamz posted...

The braces can help in that they lock your hand in place so you're less likely to bend it into positions that set off more pain. Like TC talking about hanging his wrist off the pillow and that causes an episode; if he had a brace on he couldn't hang his wrist off anything as the brace would prevent that.

Obviously the brace is not a cure, but it can the user avoid some painful situations.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#17mjc0961Posted 9/3/2014 1:56:05 AM
Jedi454 posted...
PC is calling you.

Dumbest post in the universe, BTW.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#18kayoticdreamzPosted 9/3/2014 2:00:47 AM
I was checked several years ago and didn't have carpel tunnel....that being said since then Ive hurt my arm again and my hand and arm are noticeably worse.....so what exactly I have I don't know because I don't need to pay a doctor to tell me my hand and arm hurt,

as for the brace....yes some claim it works others say it doesn't. I wore one for a while and it did nothing and I know doctors said it did nothing as well.. maybe its a placebo effect? or maybe our symptoms are different enough? although it doesn't sound like.

like you mine sort of appeared out of nowhere although if it wasn't happening now chances are it would appear soon enough....I sprained my wrist one time and it was all downhill from there. over use of the computer will yes make it worse....for me using the mouse is the killer.

I don't know how I score on those tests....but first my hand will hurt and then my wrist and if I am still dumb enough to keep going my entire arm will eventually start aching especially in the forearm area.

I minimize the pain by not writing, avoiding use of the mouse(laptop mouses aren't too bad), killing controller vibrations, and other delicate activities since I am right handed and its my right hand that has the problem.....I don't not use the hand but I try not to over do it.....unless there is a miracle cure im unaware of a career change will be a good idea.

for example six years ago using the mouse bothered but not enough so I kept using it.....now about 30 seconds of use causes pain......so it might not bug you much now but years later it might....another example.....I used to be able to only be a little bothered by controller vibration....now that actually is painful for me

it sucks but my point is I wouldn't just shrug it off because it only bothers a little now because in several years it could really hurt and 20 years of graphic design I am sure would kill your poor arm. if I could do it differently I would treat my arm six years ago like I do now instead of just thinking it was no big deal. while this isn't why I stopped studying computer science.....I will say this is a good reason for me to have changed majors.
#19Spetsnaz420Posted 9/3/2014 2:57:25 AM
This is the first time I'm hearing of carpal tunnel syndrome playing games with a controller

May want to take a break
---
If opinions were a commodity, people wouldn't waste them on stupid crap.
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic
#20Goregasm17Posted 9/3/2014 3:02:06 AM
I actually have a mild carpel tunnel from playing too much UT2004 back in the day. Now I have to restrict my PC gaming to using a controller. Thank god for xpadder!