Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Help!!

#21garydavexxxPosted 9/3/2014 3:09:56 AM
Darkness3389 posted...
Anyone ever get carpal tunnel syndrome gaming with a controller? I might have developed carpal tunnel syndrome because I have this weird pinching/tingling feeling in my forearm and hands and when an acupuncturist did a test to my wrist in which he pressed down on the wrist I had really bad pain. I was playing Warframe last night and actually had to turn off the vibration because it started to hurt or cause extreme tingling. Does anyone know if there are any type of accessories you could use gaming to avoid this in the future with a controller? I'm planning to not use anymore vibration features for my X1. I'm also going to see my doctor and asked to be sent to a neurologist.

You do realise acupuncture is completely useless and deemed a fake science right?
some guy pressed down on you're wrist and you are wondering why it hurt?

Sheesh I hope this is a joke or something.

You should have gone to you're doctor first, it's then up to him whether or not to send you to a neurologist not you.
---
They picked an allegiance to a system. And they defend it and will lay their own lives for the console of their choosing. The Game of Consoles is just starting.
#22TheGam3925Posted 9/3/2014 3:14:41 AM
Bengay.
---
Reviews? Polls? Sales? Resolution? FPS? Nothing matters now except for what the competition does not have.
#23billsfanno1Posted 9/3/2014 3:15:45 AM
Other than personal factors (genetics, fitness diet), the factors you need to address are force, posture, repetition, vibration and duration.

Force -- ease up/relax, pay attention to how hard you squeeze the controller, press the buttons, type at the keyboard, whether you rest your hand on or squeeze the mouse (a large mouse can help with this)

Posture -- keep your wrists straight, see if you bend them toward the pinky when holding your controller (ulnar deviation) and if so elevate the controller to straighten them (keeping your shoulders relaxed), make sure your wrists are straight when at the keyboard and mouse (typically requires having chair raised all the way up if at a standard table), be sure that the space between the G and H key are in front of your belly button when primarily typing and the mouse is in front of your right shoulder when primarily mousing.

Vibration -- while you feel this aggravates things when symptomatic, I doubt the controller is throwing enough vibration at you to be a risk factor, but disabling vibration when possible would still minimize exposure

Repetition and duration -- your muscles and tendons need recovery time, this involves managing your exposure to hand/wrist intensive tasks, probably the last thing you want to have to deal with so optimizing everything above will give you the best opportunity to stay in the game
#24da_StoOgePosted 9/3/2014 3:21:09 AM
I've been getting it really bad lately. Not only does gaming lying down cause it, but I've also started doing weights again and I'm constantly lugging heavy things around at work.

Another strange thing I'm getting is that if I game lying down on a couch or bed my arms get pins and needles in the elbow joint.
---
"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die."
#25falkedupPosted 9/3/2014 4:20:05 AM
Sith Jedi posted...
Just went to the doctor the other day for carpal tunnel/tendonitis. Prescribed 550mg of Naproxen (Aleve) twice a day and it worked great. No pain at all now. Just make sure to take it with a meal, it's pretty rough on the stomach at first.

Mine was from a combination of video games, guitar and working at a computer for 8 hours a day.

My life exactly
#26kidwgmPosted 9/3/2014 4:39:17 AM(edited)
Sucks TC. But first thing I would do is not to listen to posters on a message board. Make an appointment with a doctor. He is the only one that can really say what's going on and what you should do.
---
Currently Playing: Metro Redux and PvZ:GW.
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#27garydavexxxPosted 9/3/2014 5:00:30 AM
kidwgm posted...
Sucks TC. But first thing I would do is not to listen to posters on a message board. Make an appointment with a doctor. He is the only one that can really say what's going on and what you should do.

Yeah don't listen to posters on a message board, even ones that are telling you what you should have done in the first place and go see a doctor
---
They picked an allegiance to a system. And they defend it and will lay their own lives for the console of their choosing. The Game of Consoles is just starting.
#28MrSpaM111Posted 9/3/2014 5:28:56 AM
Jedi454 posted...
PC is calling you.

It's a lot more likely to happen using a keyboard and mouse
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#29kennyynnooPosted 9/3/2014 5:33:12 AM
Just go to a doctor. I'm married to one and that's what she said. And acupuncture isn't a scam to the above poster, doctors will recommend it if they can't help you. No idea if it help with carpal tunnel but step one is talk to a doctor.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#30Jiggy101011Posted 9/3/2014 5:34:31 AM
holden4ever posted...
kungfuj0 posted...
Or else end up like me, with a likely case of arthritis in the hands at age 39.

This.

I've had arthritis in all of my joints since I was 2. There are some controllers that I cant use for too long because my hands start to hurt, the PS3 controller comes to mind because of the L2 and R2 triggers.

Honestly TC you may just need to take a break after every match or so and stretch your fingers :)
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: Gears of War 3, Titanfall, Halo 4