Fascinating interview with Microsoft on the conception of the incredible XBOX UI

#61SigmaLongshotPosted 9/4/2014 6:52:43 AM
lilj812 posted...
Exodus_Prime posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
And yet, my thread comparing the features of the current gen consoles' controllers was marked and removed for being off topic/inflammatory, despite each controller being praised on various merited aspects.

Yet this topic is completely "neutral" and "factual", sans bias of any form, so it can stay.

I honestly cannot fathom the criteria for moderation any longer.

It's the "fanboy" rule. There's more on the Sony side they have 10 million how many of those are here lurking and lingering? Xbone only has 5 million which maybe about 1 are fanboys so let's say 2 to 3 mil from the Sony side are fanboys, out of those 3 million maybe half are former peed off "offended" 360 owners who dislike the Xbone because of DRM/No used games/Kinect.

So we bring in the numbers to Gamefaqs, if they don't like you there's more of them to mark your topic or post because what we have learned here and any other gaming website is that they can dish it out but can't handle it when it's thrown back at them. So moral of the story is they have numbers stick together scratch each others back.

---

This thread is neutral and factual. Did you see the first post? It's a interview of Microsoft. How is that not neutral and factual??

A simple concept - contextual differentiation.

Taking a piece of information which can be skewed to bias through time or change in scenario. In this circumstance it's an incredibly dated piece of information which has been presented in a time, place and scenario when it is no longer relevant, in an attempt to abase the company as it stands currently.

This piece of information merely states that the UI allows for user-specific advertisements (a la every sci-fi movie ever). The user interface has the potential to harbour this information. When it was stated (and relevant) it was intended as a positive improvement over traditional advertising which uses random or popularity-based algorithms to choose what you see.

By presenting it now, after such significant change to both the product and business model entirely, and conveying it in a manner not intended, it takes on an entirely different guise, purpose and slant.

And, as this is the internet, I imagine nobody read that.
---
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo
PS4: Gooey_Toto ADD ME OR FACE THE UN-ADDED CONSEQUENCES! Which are nothing.
#62Laylow12(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 7:08:33 AM(edited)
ScRui posted...
Gambitbuzzkill posted...
Laylow12 posted...
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/ads-up-games-down-the-ugly-profitable-truth-about-xbox-live-advertising

I didn't ask you for a link I asked you to tell me where on the XBO are the ads at now stop dodging the question please.

Hey Laylow, someone is asking you a question....

I would like to be enlighten too...

Here you go, not even a year old yet and Yusef Medhi is the key speaker and still a big executive at XBOX.

http://adage.com/article/special-report-ana-annual-meeting-2013/xbox-reshape-marketing/244605/

"We are trying to bridge some of the world between online and offline," he said. "That's a little bit of a holy grail in terms of how you understand the consumer in that 360 degrees of their life. We have a pretty unique position at Microsoft because of what we do with digital, as well as more and more with television because of Xbox. It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way, and hopefully at some point we can start to offer that to advertisers broadly."

Xbox One can essentially work like TV that watches you, potentially bringing marketers a huge new trove of data about what's going on in living rooms, including, as one marketer put it after the speech, unprecedented information about how people engage with TV advertising.
"It could have a big impact on pricing," he said, given Xbox One's capacity for seeing whether people are paying attention or how their bodies respond to the ads, said the marketer, who wasn't authorized by his company to speak for attribution.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#63ScRuiPosted 9/4/2014 7:11:12 AM
Laylow12 posted...
ScRui posted...
Gambitbuzzkill posted...
Laylow12 posted...
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/ads-up-games-down-the-ugly-profitable-truth-about-xbox-live-advertising

I didn't ask you for a link I asked you to tell me where on the XBO are the ads at now stop dodging the question please.

Here you go, not even a year old yet and Yusef Medhi is the key speaker and still a big executive at XBOX.

http://adage.com/article/special-report-ana-annual-meeting-2013/xbox-reshape-marketing/244605/

"We are trying to bridge some of the world between online and offline," he said. "That's a little bit of a holy grail in terms of how you understand the consumer in that 360 degrees of their life. We have a pretty unique position at Microsoft because of what we do with digital, as well as more and more with television because of Xbox. It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way, and hopefully at some point we can start to offer that to advertisers broadly."

Xbox One can essentially work like TV that watches you, potentially bringing marketers a huge new trove of data about what's going on in living rooms, including, as one marketer put it after the speech, unprecedented information about how people engage with TV advertising.
"It could have a big impact on pricing," he said, given Xbox One's capacity for seeing whether people are paying attention or how their bodies respond to the ads, said the marketer, who wasn't authorized by his company to speak for attribution.

Still haven't answered that dudes question, Laylow..step your game up, you are disappointing me...
---
"Be Smart @ Being Stupid & You'll NEVER Lose"
<If you ain't #NoseDeep, you ain't doing it right>
#64Laylow12(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 7:16:03 AM
ScRui posted...
Laylow12 posted...
ScRui posted...
Gambitbuzzkill posted...
Laylow12 posted...

Still haven't answered that dudes question, Laylow..step your game up, you are disappointing me...

Are you unhappy with what they said? You do know it's all direct quotes from the manufacturer, don't you? What is it about the advertising that bother you the most? Is it the them watching and listening to you thing or the fact that they still charge you for XBL while making money off your viewing habits and privacy? These are the things you should be asking yourself as a person that enjoys video games.

---
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#65ScRuiPosted 9/4/2014 7:26:13 AM
Laylow12 posted...
Are you unhappy with what they said? You do know it's all direct quotes from the manufacturer, don't you? What is it about the advertising that bother you the most? Is it the them watching and listening to you thing or the fact that they still charge you for XBL while making money off your viewing habits and privacy? These are the things you should be asking yourself as a person that enjoys video games.

I'm happy with my purchase of my Xbox ONE, what you keep posting are old articles talking about ads... so? What is the issue? Does it affect me playing games or maybe watching tv, twitch... how about me skyping with family? Nope... these so-called ads (where are they?) Don't affect me or my gaming hobby...

It seems to me that you keep purposely avoiding the question that poster asked you... I think it was:

Show him where those ads are on the Xbox ONE

So... my lovely fellow gamfaqer, please continue posting useless articles about ads... that in reality are nowhere to be seen on my Xbox ONE, and most definitely not affecting my gaming hobby...
---
"Be Smart @ Being Stupid & You'll NEVER Lose"
<If you ain't #NoseDeep, you ain't doing it right>
#66GambitbuzzkillPosted 9/4/2014 7:41:06 AM
Man Laylow I just wanted an answer to my question all you did was dodge the question so please stop pulling a Neo and just tell me where to find the ads at on the XBO please.
---
Gametag-BLOODLUST66
PSN-Dalust66
#67Laylow12(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 7:53:36 AM
Gambitbuzzkill posted...
Man Laylow I just wanted an answer to my question all you did was dodge the question so please stop pulling a Neo and just tell me where to find the ads at on the XBO please.

Thank you for asking. Now that I have your attention, here is a report from this Spring on how your time is spent online and how you are interacting with the ads.

http://advertising.microsoft.com/en/WWDocs/User/display/cl/researchreport/5784/global/Xbox-Audience-Insights-CANADA-Web-Final.pdf

---
#68ExempliGratiaPosted 9/4/2014 7:56:58 AM
Moral of this topic: LayLow likes to troll.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#69Laylow12(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 8:01:00 AM
ExempliGratia posted...
Moral of this topic: LayLow likes to troll.

How am I trolling? So quoting the manufacturer is "trolling" now? You sound confused as to what trolling is.

---
#70lilj812Posted 9/4/2014 8:07:11 AM
Gambitbuzzkill posted...

UI, now that that's out of the way. Why can't you answer his questions? No one is answering anyone's questions and there is constantly complaining. Both sides ask great questions, I answered yours, ads are around the dashboard or whatever. Now answer his.
---
"Worlds best heel"
"I really don't understand the irrational hatred a lot of people have for IE. It's not a bad browser." El Pollo Diablo87