Who is a casual gamer? good read.

#21SoftAssassinPosted 9/3/2014 2:07:18 PM
sanas_thiritu posted...
elbarto1 posted...
How is this a good read?

It is a good read.

I applaud you for finally keeping your word and changing your signature. Good integrity.
#22RybalPosted 9/3/2014 2:11:14 PM
I'd probably base it off of time.

If, over the course of any given year, you average less than an hour a day, I'd say you're casual.
Between one and three, normal/average.
More than 3 (which is more than 1000 hours in a year) would be considered hardcore.

To me, it wouldn't matter if someone is getting to those numbers by playing some iOS/FB game, COD, Madden, or any number of RPGs. To get to more than 1000 hours takes dedication to gaming.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#23duericPosted 9/3/2014 2:12:27 PM
ChiliPup posted...
dueric posted...
You're not hardcore, dude. You're just really into playing video games.

Hardcore gamers are people who play because they have to. Not because they want to.

So only a professional gamer can be considered hardcore? I realize this is all about personal opinions, so I will respect yours. But I wholeheartedly disagree.

---

No. Being a professional gamer and someone who literally can't not play are two completely different things. Hardcore gamers forgoe everything else to game. It's always their priority. Not because they want it to be, but because it has to be.

For the sake of argument. I wouldn't call your girlfriend a gamer at all. She's just someone who will play Wii Bowling every now and then.

I, in the other hand, am a casual gamer. Despite the fact that I play a lot and spend tons of money on the hobby. The difference is, I can quite literally stop at the drop of a hat. Because its just that. A hobby. Not a way of life. I don't need to plan around my gaming.

If that makes any sense?
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#24Cows Go HisssssPosted 9/3/2014 2:15:10 PM
I agree with TC.

I would also like to add:

Hardcore gamers in general are people where gaming is their one of their main hobbies, and they play and buy more games than the typical extremely popular games like CoD, Halo, or GTA.

There are also hardcore gamers to a particular game. Hardcore gamers play on the hardest difficulty for a game. If you don't, you're a casual to that game. Sorry. They also play that game so much that they're pretty much an expert to that game. I would say that I am a hardcore Titanfall player, but I am a casual Dark Souls player, and I am a ****ty Gears of War player. I'm not even casual to Gears. I just plain suck ass.
---
hey foo
hey foo
#25MetroidFan9999Posted 9/3/2014 2:16:44 PM
Casual gamers to me are the ones that mainly do the phone/tablet gaming, but also those that follow the fads in gaming. COD for example.

My brother is not a heavy gamer at all, but he does own a 360 and plays COD every now and then. I would definitely label him a casual.
---
For a good laugh - http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/
#26ChiliPupPosted 9/3/2014 2:17:58 PM
dueric posted...
No. Being a professional gamer and someone who literally can't not play are two completely different things. Hardcore gamers forgoe everything else to game. It's always their priority. Not because they want it to be, but because it has to be.

For the sake of argument. I wouldn't call your girlfriend a gamer at all. She's just someone who will play Wii Bowling every now and then.

I, in the other hand, am a casual gamer. Despite the fact that I play a lot and spend tons of money on the hobby. The difference is, I can quite literally stop at the drop of a hat. Because its just that. A hobby. Not a way of life. I don't need to plan around my gaming.

If that makes any sense?

Well I would still argue that I am a hardcore gamer. Because unlike you, I could NOT stop at the drop of a hat. I desire gaming. I crave it. I look forward to my dedicated gaming time. And I often daydream about gaming while I'm at work or driving. It's my second favorite hobby, next to playing music. But both of those "hobbies" are more like lifestyles for me. They are both a part of who I am. And I'm not ashamed of that fact, because I'm still able to manage a career and a long-term relationship. If one of those things suffered because of my gaming, I might feel differently about it.

---
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]
#27duericPosted 9/3/2014 2:18:00 PM
I think the problem is the internet oft portrays the term "casual gamer" as a negative thing.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#28duericPosted 9/3/2014 2:19:06 PM
ChiliPup posted...
dueric posted...

If that makes any sense?

Well I would still argue that I am a hardcore gamer. Because unlike you, I could NOT stop at the drop of a hat. I desire gaming. I crave it. I look forward to my dedicated gaming time. And I often daydream about gaming while I'm at work or driving. It's my second favorite hobby, next to playing music. But both of those "hobbies" are more like lifestyles for me. They are both a part of who I am. And I'm not ashamed of that fact, because I'm still able to manage a career and a long-term relationship. If one of those things suffered because of my gaming, I might feel differently about it.

---

Let me ask you this. Would you literally forgo plans with friends or family to game?
---
#29Juzten76Posted 9/3/2014 2:19:15 PM
Casual gamers don't hang out on gamefaqs.
---
"demoes are dumb anyway. just buy the game. solves that." - The Village Idiot
#30ChiliPupPosted 9/3/2014 2:20:28 PM
dueric posted...
Let me ask you this. Would you literally forgo plans with friends or family to game?

If it's plans to go out to dinner, or to a festival, or a movie, then no, I would not miss it. But if it's plans to go grocery shopping, then maybe ;)

---
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]