WHY is Xbox ridiculously unpopular in Japan?

#71TerotrousPosted 9/4/2014 12:19:12 PM
It's really very simple. Japanese gamers tend to like Japanese games. XBox tends not to have many of them. 360 made an effort to get some and thus it sold something, but they kind of lost interest in the Japanese market after 2010 or so, resulting in them having very little momentum for the launch of XBox One.

I didn't expect it to be THIS bad, but I'm not shocked that there's not high demand for it.
---
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/
My novel, now fully published online!
#72crayola555Posted 9/4/2014 12:26:00 PM
Why are people just talking without knowing anything? Japan is not this xenophobic country that despise everything American. Just like in the US, they'll like anything that's popular. Same like how we like our PS4's, our japanese and german cars, justin bieber, etc. Xbox isn't selling because it didn't make it in their market, simple as that. Some products do good, some fail.
---
3DS FC: 0619-4850-3479 IGN: AlmaDelita
#73ORANGE666Posted 9/4/2014 12:43:32 PM
America bombs Japan
Japanese stop buying American products

Mind blown
---
I am a Nintendo Fanboy and let me tell you, being a Drone is actually a great thing.
We have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like other fanboys
#74MoreLemonPledgePosted 9/4/2014 12:47:58 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
America bombs Japan
Japanese stop buying American products

Mind blown

Except that's not what happened.

As stated before, Japan does buy American products. Some American products perform well in Japan.
The Xbox just lacks the software and appeal to sell to this market.
---
A piece of hardware is only dead when the company gives up on it. P.S, Indie shovelware doesn't count as support.
#75nyannyan91Posted 9/4/2014 12:50:13 PM
Apple product is doing well so it's just a Microsoft issue.
#76richboy900Posted 9/4/2014 12:56:42 PM
TrueBlue91 posted...
CammyApple posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...
CammyApple posted...
Not sure if troll or serious inquiry.

Serious. Even when a country vastly prefers a certain console, e.g. in USA the 360 vs PS3, the difference is not THAT huge, to such an extent that even on day one nobody gives much of a crap.

The problem is that you state Playstation has always had better hardware. That statement is false and is something that would be in a troll topic.

As a joke I'll say it's because the XB1 won't fit into a Japanese apartment, it's too big.

Oh, right, the first Xbox. Well the 360 and XB1 then. Inferior hardware.

The Xbox had much better hardware and multiplat over ps2. Like twice the power, and it was as clear as night and day. It was like comparing a 400bhp Ferrari 360 to an 800bhp tvr speed 12.

The PS3 had a more powerful processor than the 360, but again, the Microsoft console had better multiplat games. Better gpu and ram set up as well as easier to develop for. The PS3 was a mess in truth, but eclipsed 360 graphically on exclusives slightly.

Sony at long last has the better multiplat games and hardware for a change with the ps4. Both eighth gen systems are underpowered however.
#77Tajaz2426Posted 9/4/2014 1:01:33 PM
I've been stationed in Iwakuni, Okinawa Japan on Camp Foster. If you are on the islands everyone enjoys Americans as the islands are Americanized.

If you are on mainland, Japan, it is a different story and it depends on where you are and who you talk too. My wife came over on leave in 2003 and she was treated like a model as she was blonde hair blue eyes and the teenagers up to mid 20's enjoy American fads, with clothes, shoes, music.

The older generation will now their heads and look away from you most of the time, if not every time you pass them. You see their culture is a lot different than ours. Everyone works and no one is embarrassed by the work they do. Every 2 blocks you have a gentlemen in a partial tuxedo that sweeps up cigarette butts and garbage. The taxi drivers wear tuxedos, they have an actual work ethic over in Japan.

I have been to Hiroshima and been to the museum, outside some areas as it was an air burst, you can still see the shadows burnt into the cement. The museum has a before and after model of the city. It is quite cool.

This, however, doesn't have to do with sales, they will purchase products that they like and believe are quality. The RROD did a lot of damage to sales over in Japan, as they spend money differently than we do. They only purchase what they feel is the best for their money. They also enjoy handhelds, it is just they way it is.

MS didn't put a lot of money In marketing and if you ask me that was smart, as it would have cost them a lot more than it probably has. Have a good day, ladies and gents. Also, sorry for this being so long winded, I enjoy history.
---
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, PotUS
#78kyncaniPosted 9/4/2014 1:39:50 PM
Tajaz2426 posted...
I've been stationed in Iwakuni, Okinawa Japan on Camp Foster. If you are on the islands everyone enjoys Americans as the islands are Americanized.

If you are on mainland, Japan, it is a different story and it depends on where you are and who you talk too. My wife came over on leave in 2003 and she was treated like a model as she was blonde hair blue eyes and the teenagers up to mid 20's enjoy American fads, with clothes, shoes, music.

The older generation will now their heads and look away from you most of the time, if not every time you pass them. You see their culture is a lot different than ours. Everyone works and no one is embarrassed by the work they do. Every 2 blocks you have a gentlemen in a partial tuxedo that sweeps up cigarette butts and garbage. The taxi drivers wear tuxedos, they have an actual work ethic over in Japan.

I have been to Hiroshima and been to the museum, outside some areas as it was an air burst, you can still see the shadows burnt into the cement. The museum has a before and after model of the city. It is quite cool.

This, however, doesn't have to do with sales, they will purchase products that they like and believe are quality. The RROD did a lot of damage to sales over in Japan, as they spend money differently than we do. They only purchase what they feel is the best for their money. They also enjoy handhelds, it is just they way it is.

MS didn't put a lot of money In marketing and if you ask me that was smart, as it would have cost them a lot more than it probably has. Have a good day, ladies and gents. Also, sorry for this being so long winded, I enjoy history.

Well that was a good post.
#79millimaynePosted 9/4/2014 1:48:04 PM
Haven't been to Japan, but have a similar experience. I went to Pearl Harbor and we were on a boat ride with a whole bunch of Japanese students and tourists that went over the day Japan bombed the site. Never got the sense that there was any resentment or hostility from either the Americans or the Japanese; it was like, it happened, we've learned from it, and moved on.

On another note, just played a few rounds of Gears of War 3 with a guy from Japan last week, so even though there may not be many that enjoy that type of game from Japan, they do exist.
---
"It's official, you SU-" *bam!* The last words of Shao Khan before getting Liu Kang'd
#80WeirdShroomPosted 9/4/2014 6:34:08 PM(edited)
Just to be clear, I got everyone on this Xenophobia kick by purposely making up BS. All me. My bad.

It is my gift and my curse.

However as I said seriously, it's simply about what the product is aimed for. Xbox is not aimed for Japanese gamers whatsoever. They tried for a little while but gave up. Sony and Nintendo own Japan, and even their consoles are floundering. box has been pretty stale in Japan for a very long time. Anyone surprised by this or thinking it's another win for PS4 are simply ignorant.

teehee
---
GT: BxB402 - "Virtual High Five!" - Xbox Live Chat Support