Has 'hype' days/weeks before a game releases ended up leaving you underwhelmed?

#1kidwgmPosted 9/4/2014 9:35:33 AM
80/80

I have seen the "hype" building for games for years now. With the release of Destiny in a few days it got me thinking. Do you guys typically fall into this hype? Therefore the game never reaching your unrealistic expectations because you hyped it so much? Its an odd notion to me. For example I'm excited to play Destiny. Played the beta liked it and have the game preordered/preloaded. But I have probably read maybe one or two articles and I don't think I have seen a trailer for it yet. I don't need to. Maybe its because I'm older, I'm 36. I have been play games for almost 30 years. I know what I like and don't like. But I don't put games on some type of pedestal that has high expectations and then feel let down when the game can't deliver. Thoughts?
---
Currently Playing: Metro Redux and PvZ:GW.
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#2Jiggy101011Posted 9/4/2014 9:54:01 AM
The last game I hyped myself up for was Halo 3 and I was not disappointed. I get excited for upcoming games being released, I just dont go crazy about them like I used to.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: Gears of War 3, Titanfall, Halo 4
#3kennyynnooPosted 9/4/2014 9:55:43 AM
Finding out and studying maps on open world games pre release ruins them for me. GTAV is a great example of that. I am avoiding looking at FH2s map because of it.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#4cheezedadadaPosted 9/4/2014 9:57:37 AM
I hype games up all the time, but I don't get let down if they end up being underwhelming. I think part of the fun of playing games is getting excited for them, so I enjoy doing that.
---
XBL - cheezedadada / PSN - cheezedadadada
#5AWarAmp84Posted 9/4/2014 9:58:27 AM
I can't remember the last time I was blown away by a game so these days I just expect to be let down. Maybe I'm just growing out of gaming. Who knows.
---
Not taking Gamefaqs seriously since 2004. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#6Joey-ZazaPosted 9/4/2014 10:00:36 AM
The last time I was hyped for a game was Halo 3. And it lived up to the hype.

That was over 6 years ago. Now I am hyped for Destiny, and will not be disappointed. I'm a smart hype kind of dude.
---
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower I
#7ComradeRyanPosted 9/4/2014 1:27:47 PM
I have low expectations, so I am usually pleased with the final product of games I am interested in. I only pay full price for games I know that I will play for hundreds of hours though. The only eighth generation games I have purchased so far is Battlefield 4 & Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition. I am finding both to be very enjoyable.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com
#8dnmtPosted 9/4/2014 1:29:11 PM
Joey-Zaza posted...

That was over 6 years ago. Now I am hyped for Destiny, and will not be disappointed. I'm a smart hype kind of dude.

Hahaha
#9MicrosoftLoverPosted 9/4/2014 1:33:42 PM
dnmt posted...
Joey-Zaza posted...

Hahaha

Titanfall > Superman 64 > Whale plaque & gingivitis > Destiny
---
Not changing sig until Hideo Kojima gets fired or retires!
#10duericPosted 9/4/2014 1:34:58 PM
Yeah, dude. That's why it's called hype.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member