interesting game but GOTY is a sick joke

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
  3. interesting game but GOTY is a sick joke
3 years ago#1
I like this game... a LOT! Reminds me of pc adventure titles like Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle...

However I cant remember the last time I had so many problems with a game, and after some research I most definitely am not alone. My 360 has hard crashed multiple times, the wrong episode has loaded up multiple times, stutters, jutters, jitters, the previously and next time segments are clunky as all hell, I once after finishing episode 2 the only way I could load up episode 3 was to go back to the episode 2 screen and choose continue which took me to the episode 3 screen and then press play, otherwise the game kept thinking I wanted to rewind (which is X not A) and kept locking up when loading.

And this is in addition to the game design being flawed as well. No way to skip cutscenes, sometimes your only way to advance the game being a small detail in a great big area, the limited exploration, only being able to solve puzzles a very specific way even though you could obviously physically go about things differently you need to find a specific camera angle for a specific icon and only after you have... you get the point.

Again I love this game, when it works I give it an 8.5/10, but when you factor in technical problems and the fact that the retail version is more expensive yet has harsher load times, no option to install from disc, and for me and other users runs louder than other 360 games...

GOTY? Nope... MAYBE DLC title of the year, infact that seems fair. Minus the very ending ME3 has this game beat in every category for me. Decisions made bigger impacts, characters had deeper interactions, gameplay was much smoother and tighter, etc.
---
Bourne Legacy in 60 seconds:
http://youtu.be/AcDIlYannYs
3 years ago#2
Decisions did not make ANY impact whatsoever in ME3.

When it was time for those decisions to have consequences, the game was over, and the ending is the same, with different colors, no matter what.

EA and Bioware REALLY pulled it on us with ME3.
---
You want bugs go play Lost Planet. This is war boy, no bugs or liberals allowed.
-Nick_GF
3 years ago#3
Jimdb posted...

When it was time for those decisions to have consequences, the game was over, and the ending is the same, with different colors, no matter what.

Its true. The krogan genophage isnt cured in anyones game, everyone got the same result with the geth quarian conflict, and everyones shepard is now an immortal badass renegade AI that will destroy any threat to his loved ones.

Tali, Miranda, Samara, etc die in every ME3 playthrough, where in Walking Dead you get to choose if larry, carlie, katja, lilly, etc stick around.

Oh wait.
---
3 years ago#4
RPGMaster95 posted...
Jimdb posted...

Its true. The krogan genophage isnt cured in anyones game, everyone got the same result with the geth quarian conflict, and everyones shepard is now an immortal badass renegade AI that will destroy any threat to his loved ones.

Tali, Miranda, Samara, etc die in every ME3 playthrough, where in Walking Dead you get to choose if larry, carlie, katja, lilly, etc stick around.

Oh wait.

I do prefer ME3 over TWD and I do thinkg that TWD does not disserve the title of GOTY by ANY means, but ME3 does not either.

All those choices have cosnecuences while you play the game, but when you get to the ending, whatever decisions you made, really don't make an impact. At least I felt that way.

I was not trying to be hsotile with my post though :S
---
You want bugs go play Lost Planet. This is war boy, no bugs or liberals allowed.
-Nick_GF
3 years ago#5
Arggg episode 4 again?? At least it quit trying to start over at ep1 again..
---
3 years ago#6
I had none of those problems maybe a few jitters but only VERY rarely. And no descision in any of the mass effect games made any difference to any of the game. This everything you choose affects the game in one way or another. Yea this game may not be my GOTY but I to a degree think it deserves it. It's amazing what one little dev team can do. Also I have never played a game (at least not that I can remember) that has been so emotional. I haven't even seen many movies that are IMO this sad or emotional. That is a big reason why it got GOTY the story and really making you feel emotionally invested in the char. Even in games like gears where I have been with Dom for 3 games and then he died I didn't care that much.
3 years ago#7
There has been a lot of emphasis on the impact of your choices as a means of judging a video game's quality which can be fair but I find it misguided. Having the ability to show the impact of your choices is difficult because it means you have to provide the different events and dialogue changes for those actions which means you need more labor and more money. That simply isn't possible with the development team of The Walking Dead which is a much smaller company compared to Bioware. So instead, TWD settled for choices that had little impact. Although that was the case, I felt TWD was the better game in terms of the choices you had to make.

Games should do their best to find the right mix of accessibility and challenging you. With Mass Effect, I never had trouble with any of the choices I made. Since I was running Paragon, I just flicked to the top right, blue colored dialogue option. It was a never difficult during the heat of the conversation and I never had to think about a choice I was going to make. There was no fun in this for me. This had become less of a game and more of "press A to continue the dialogue" interactive movie.

Walking Dead, on the other hand, was brilliant in its' choice sequences. Though they did not create lasting impact within the context of the game, it succeeded it creating turmoil within the mind of the player during the heat of moment.

SPOILERS
I still remember how hard it was for me to choose if I wanted to save Larry or not. I hated this guy's guts. But saving him might've gotten on Lily's good side which I wasn't on for a while. Attempting to save him also meant endangering us and looking like a naive pre-apocalaypse idiot to Kenny. I doubted Lily's constant informing me that he was alive because of their relationship and I was pretty prepared to kill him but then Clementine would see me kill this dude who could've been alive. Mix in Lily and Kenny both screaming and begging for you to help one of them while your time limit runs down created the most intense choice I've ever encountered in a video game.
SPOILERS END

That level of "WTF DO I DO?!?!" pretty much created the most intense choice I've ever seen in a video game. Mass Effect never encountered this level of complexity within its' choice. The hardest one I made in Mass Effect 1 is probably choosing between the lives of two characters which wasn't even hard because one was such a horrible character. So my point is, we shouldn't be judging games based on their impact of choice, it should be the difficulty of it. Look at Mass Effect 2, you can kill off a ton of your crew in the final mission. But the nature of those deaths were framed in such a way that it left very little emotional impact because that's the nature of having a variety of outcomes in a video game.
---
Shenmue II Fan? Let's talk about how much we hate Sega: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/561258-shenmue-ii
3 years ago#8
I agree with Tim_Linc_Kun 100%

While the choices in the Mass Effect series were more dynamic, TWD's choices had much more weight to them. When I play games like the ME series or Heavy Rain my decisions are influenced by the "type" of character I am playing. The choices I made in ME3 were easy last time i played because i was doing a Paragon playthrough, before that it was the same because I was playing a Renegade character. TWD is the first game I played that forced me to make decisions based on my instincts and emotions.
For example, in episode 1 I decided that I was gonna be on Kennys side no matter what because I took a liking to the character and he was gonna be my zombie killing bro. In most games it's easy to stick with roleplaying the type of character you choose to be in the beginning. Near the end of episode 2 I started making choices that went again Kenny and I sided with two characters I didn't really like that much. I broke roleplaying a certain way to make a gut decision. It's not like Kenny was turning into a bad guy and was making a clear right/wrong choice, far from it. I decided to see if I could help Larry despite the fact that I hated his guts, and the stats at the end reflected that quite a few players made the same choice as I did.
It's testament to just how well TWD is written that gives the choices in this game appeal to real human dilemmas with an urgency not found in any other game. I personally think it's masterful how Telltale managed to give the illusion of real weight while keeping the story linear and focused. The characters are so well written and naunced that it gave me the feeling that every disagreement would effect that characters perception or attitude for me. And TWD is a game is so heavily focused on the human drama aspect within the group the decisions feel just as important as the big universe changing choices in a game like ME.
3 years ago#9
I agree with the 2 above posters, in fact,

Spoiler*

after i found out that ben was the one that get duck and katjaa killed, i almost raged, but somehow i think it's best to keep the group together, then i swear i was going to kill him if i had the chance after she left clem in the street in the beginning of chapter 4, then that chance came, and i realized, while he isn't the best, he's trying to make up for what he's done, even clem insisted. in the hospital, i saved him. i love that the character's so complex, in one time i chose to side with one guy, then i can change side. like the problem with lily / kenny thing. i was sure i want to side with kenny, but both have their reasons and ways. in the end i almost never side with one.
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
3 years ago#10
Tim, ME2's lack of impact was their choice to go down the more restrictive narrative with too many characters. I believe some of the writers eventually commented that it was a mistake to bring in so many new faces in the second game, that's why they returned to a (in theory) smaller squad with stronger ties and interaction.

Anyway as for choices, the problem with a lot of new-age gamers seem to stem from the fact they think choices must have an impact that has neon signs pointing to what the consequence was. I never understood the 'choices don't matter' rubbish for Mass Effect because most choices did have some impact on interaction and the self contained arc. I know a lot of my character meetings in the third game were only possible and/or influenced greatly via how I interacted with them in the first two if they turned up there. A lot of people fail to realise two things; 1) if you kill someone that consequence is he's not going to be there at another point in time (no duh!) and 2) Just because a choice didn't give you an outcome you wanted doesn't mean it didn't affect an outcome.

The second point is really obvious when you see people whinge about the added 'reject' ending in ME3, "That doesn't change anything, our choices still don't matter it's just colours" they shouted, never mind the fact you just epic-failed the game by making that choice... -sigh-, either way people are so entitled thesedays, or some oblivious to subtlety!

TWD choices are quite nice and operate on a similar but separate aim compared to ME though, at least I think so and it works for what it wants to achieve. =)
---
Way Walkers University CYOA RPG Game -
http://www.choiceofgames.com/user-contributed/way-walkers/
  1. Boards
  2. The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
  3. interesting game but GOTY is a sick joke

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived