interesting game but GOTY is a sick joke

#11Blitzkrieg182Posted 12/26/2012 7:58:57 AM
Definitely a sick joke start episode two, game replays 1, and defaults the decisions I made. Im not replaying am episode of this arcade game wo I can sit through lag and make choices that at any time the game can screw up. I played many many games this year and this is not the best one.
#12giantqtipzPosted 12/26/2012 12:50:14 PM
Holy crap there are so many spoilers here for other games its not even funny
#13rwfan2cPosted 12/26/2012 1:47:09 PM
I Love The Walking Dead and i have always loved the Mass Effect Series. However i will say this.

Although at the time when you make the decisions in this game it seems like they hold A LOT of weight. However in actuality, it changes SOME dialogue. The biggest of any of the decisions is to save Carly because then she gets to give you a chance to tell everyone about your past. But Folks... thats it. Thats the biggest thing that changes.

Dont get me wrong i think this was one of the best stories i have ever experienced in a video game and for that reason alone should have at least been in the talks for GOTY.

Should it have won game of the year? Maybe, is all i can really say.... this year was a pretty big joke for games. The only releases i actually enjoyed were this, ME3 and Borderlands 2. and thats it.

of those three i would probably give GOTY to Thw Walking dead.

However saying that your choices in this game change anything important is just false. Everyone Telltale wants dead will die one way or another and everyone Telltale wants alive will be alive. and that is Linear game design people.
---
XBOX GT: thetimeofthe9
Steam ID: Thetimeofthen9ne
#14JohnMafiaPosted 12/26/2012 4:30:41 PM
Its a great game, but I agree that anyone who hypes it up to be a real "Choose Your Own Adventure" type of game is just delusional. Your choices really don't affect much. Honestly, ME3 changed more.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#15InvaderZorkaPosted 12/27/2012 11:27:52 AM
I don't think anyone is saying that the choices in this game make dramatic changes to the storyline. Most people know that it's mostly a well written illusion. When I said that the choices in this game have more weight than games like ME i mean that the choices here are much more personal to the player, and not as the character you are roleplaying. The changes in this game are nuanced and subtle. In one playthrough Lee get pinned down in a store by an aisle and Kenny didn't help me get up, but he shot zombies in front of Lee to distract them. In another playthrough Kenny helped me up and shot at the zombie. There are tons of these small changes that alter a characters actions or personality based on your choices. The group dynamic in TWD is the universe in ME, just on a much different scale.
#16rwfan2cPosted 12/27/2012 12:13:59 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that the choices in this game make dramatic changes to the storyline. Most people know that it's mostly a well written illusion. When I said that the choices in this game have more weight than games like ME i mean that the choices here are much more personal to the player, and not as the character you are roleplaying. The changes in this game are nuanced and subtle. In one playthrough Lee get pinned down in a store by an aisle and Kenny didn't help me get up, but he shot zombies in front of Lee to distract them. In another playthrough Kenny helped me up and shot at the zombie. There are tons of these small changes that alter a characters actions or personality based on your choices. The group dynamic in TWD is the universe in ME, just on a much different scale.

I can see what your saying and to a point i agree. But Mass Effect has a few of those as well.

***MASS EFFECT SPOILERS INCOMING***

I will say that in my game i did not have a choice to save both the Geth and the Quarians, (Because i didnt have a Mass Effect 1 playthrough on this xbox, however i am now in the middle of ME2 trying to get a perfect playthrough since i bought the whole Trilogy)

And the scene when the Quarians were getting blown out of the sky it was already heart wrenching. Then Tali throws herself off the cliff and my jaw was agape. That.... unfortunately ( i say unfortunately, because its not considered the perfect PT and alot of people didnt experience it as i did) Is the best scene in the series to me. Its both Beautiful and Tragic at the same time. The quarian fleet falling from the sky against a sunset. And Then Tali removing her mask and saying "Im sorry sheppard", Against that same Sunset then throwing herself off the cliff. and i never thought about the similarities there but as the Quarian Fleet was blown out of the sky, falling to there home world, Tali was also falling to her death, to her homeworld...

Long story short... i felt, Personally responsible for the genocide of and entire Species. And it weighed heavily on me for the remainder of the game. (To bad it didnt have any real relevance to the end of the game, but that doesnt take away from the scene.)

and as a side note, I was not a fan of the original ending to ME3 but i thought "Ehh its okay i guess... doesnt make alot sense but whatever." The Expanded ending was better but still not what i wanted to see. But unlike so many people who were complaining about the ending who said the last 20 minutes of the game ruined not only the entire game but the entire franchise. I feel that ME3 was by far the best of the series on a storytelling standpoint and feel of gameplay. I just wished it was more RPGish like ME1 and less Gears of Warish.

also if anyone could tell me how to do the black line spoiler thing that would be awesome :P
---
XBOX GT: thetimeofthe9
Steam ID: Thetimeofthen9ne
#17JohnMafiaPosted 12/27/2012 2:52:50 PM
Yeah the ME series is amazing. Saying that the last 10 minutes ruined 100+ hours of gaming reeks of typical internet hyperbole to me, but whatever.

To do the spoilers thing just put your text between < spoiler> and < /spoiler> without the space after <
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#18JustJ0shPosted 12/27/2012 9:36:17 PM
It won the award for having the ability to make grown men shed their sacred man-tears.
---
Don't Steal. The Government Doesn't Like Competition
#19BB52700Posted 12/28/2012 7:30:31 PM
The Walking Dad...Journey>Destination. If you play through expecting multiple endings based on the choices you make, well, you're doing it wrong. the choices shape the interaction you have with the characters, and that is what is important.
---
I do the best Chewbacca impression EVER!
#20trashy345Posted 12/28/2012 9:25:30 PM
People saying that Mass Effect's choices had no weight are trolling or copy-pasting things they have heard trolls say having never played the games. TWD was clearly inspired by Mass Effect's dynamic choice system (which was the first of it's kind, I believe), and just threw out all of the big budget epic sci-fi and combat from that series and concentrated on storytelling. Idiots seriously think that Bioware should have created an entire new video game multiverse branching out of every single dialogue choice in the Mass Effect games without stopping to think about how utterly impossible that would be from a development standpoint. The fact is, in the ME games characters -and entire races- live or die with the decisions you make. Even more so than in TWD, where some characters will die regardless of what you do. So to praise this one and crap on that one is blatant stupidity.