None of your decisions matter

#1X_SpectatorPosted 1/1/2013 3:24:46 AM
Great game. I felt the ending hit me like I did a lot of the emotional parts. But none of your choices matter when you think about it...

It doesn't matter if you leave during the day or wait it out until night time to begin. You end up running into Shawn regardless.

It doesn't matter if you save Doug or Carley they both die at the exact same spot later regardless.

It doesn't matter if you have feelings for Carley you can't save her.

It doesn't matter if you side with Lilly or Kenny you end up leaving the Motor Inn either way.

It doesn't matter how you decide to deal with Larry whether you want to placate him with food or take a tough stance with him... he meets the same fate regardless with you standing right there unable to do anything.

It doesn't matter if you take the supplies or not you end up stalked for it regardless.

I thought that different choices would have different gamers in entirely different locations at the end of the game. Some may try to get to the coast, some may just stay at the Motor Inn, some may try to track down Clem's parents. The game does a great job giving the illusion of choice while funneling gamers down the same path no matter what.

Mass Effect 3 got ripped for exactly the same thing. I thought this game was great. One day a game will come along as open ended as this one should have been and will be better for it.
#2jakeDiLLaPosted 1/1/2013 4:11:14 AM
You're right, it's just that the game gives you the illusion that they do matter if you only play it once. If you're like you and me and go on the internet to find out what the alternate paths lead to, you realize it's just one big movie with slight alterations in the story and characters.

I loved the game to be honest, but it should not be game of the year. It did one thing extremely well (storytelling) and not much else. It also benefited from its license due to the Walking Dead craze this past year.
#3jakeDiLLaPosted 1/1/2013 4:13:16 AM
PS I don't think we'll see a true choose your own adventure type of video game unless people are almost guaranteed to do multiple playthroughs because the developers do not want to make parts of a game that may never be seen by some people
#4masterarbiter44Posted 1/1/2013 6:10:54 AM
To be fair, try making a game where every single decision matters, it is an illusion of choice, but right now, this game is the closest we have ever been to having an actual choice that matters. Also lets not forget Mass Effect was grilled because it advertised, the ending will drastically change depending on your choices and decisions through the game, and it didn't. Actually it's the polar opposite, none of your decisions matter at all. Let's not forget, Mass Effect had a huge budget, this game did not.
---
It's about the games, not about the hardware
#5scoobydoobydontPosted 1/1/2013 11:40:59 AM
Mass Effect 3 got ripped for auto-dialogue and completely ignoring anything that happened before, not because it was giving merely the illusion of free choice. There was no illusion being maintained, and that was the problem. Get out of here with this strawman link between the two. TWD did choice, even illusory choice, a lot better than ME3.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#6joyce_181502Posted 1/1/2013 8:08:59 PM
The only game I've played where choice matters is Alpha Protocol.

For some reason that game didn't "review well" but in it you can skip or kill off major characters at different points in the story depending on how you play. Also how you treat people results in a hated -> dislike -> neutral -> liked -> loved and their states will determine if they help or hinder you.

I was hoping this game was the same way. But the longer you play through it, yes you become very aware that it is a disappointingly linear game. Unfortunately that also means it doesn't really have any replayability.
#7Lightning_fanPosted 1/2/2013 1:23:31 PM
joyce_181502 posted...
The only game I've played where choice matters is Alpha Protocol.

For some reason that game didn't "review well" but in it you can skip or kill off major characters at different points in the story depending on how you play. Also how you treat people results in a hated -> dislike -> neutral -> liked -> loved and their states will determine if they help or hinder you.

I was hoping this game was the same way. But the longer you play through it, yes you become very aware that it is a disappointingly linear game. Unfortunately that also means it doesn't really have any replayability.

Idk in a game like this the new dialogue is worth it imo.

I agree that the pseudo choice is a little annoying though. Its even worse when they state your decisions matter before each episode.

Reminds me of the let down of Mass Effect 2 not giving your choices much weight (amazing game regardless though)
#8Unsugarized_FooPosted 1/2/2013 7:26:47 PM
Does dropping Ben in the bell tower place save Kenny later on or not?
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#9JackieMoon33Posted 1/2/2013 7:34:44 PM
Idk but i'd guess that since ben wouldnt be there, kenny would go last and it'd just break on him. Ya know, since our choices dont affect the outcome. They matter, they just dont make a difference.
#10Blitzkrieg182Posted 1/3/2013 6:17:00 AM
masterarbiter44 posted...
To be fair, try making a game where every single decision matters, it is an illusion of choice, but right now, this game is the closest we have ever been to having an actual choice that matters. Also lets not forget Mass Effect was grilled because it advertised, the ending will drastically change depending on your choices and decisions through the game, and it didn't. Actually it's the polar opposite, none of your decisions matter at all. Let's not forget, Mass Effect had a huge budget, this game did not.

Lol saying this game is the closest is a complete lie. This was a terrible game of the year BTW