The ILLUSION OF CHOICE....

#11The_404sPosted 1/9/2013 6:42:53 PM
The_N8dog posted...
Let's not have TOO many options.
Mass Effect 3 endings anyone?

ME3 did a much better job at making your choices matter within the game, despite the God awful endings.

In TWD (spoilers)

No matter who you're cool with, you always end up going with Kenny.
No matter what you did for Kenny, if you don't help him kill Larry he will hate you for it.
No matter how many supplies you get in your last run to the pharmacy, you lose all of them.

I'd go on, but I'd be preaching to the choir.

The lack of impact your choices had is just pitiful.
#12MrPibbRulesPosted 1/9/2013 9:48:08 PM
The_404s posted...
The_N8dog posted...
Let's not have TOO many options.
Mass Effect 3 endings anyone?

ME3 did a much better job at making your choices matter within the game, despite the God awful endings.

In TWD (spoilers)

No matter who you're cool with, you always end up going with Kenny.
No matter what you did for Kenny, if you don't help him kill Larry he will hate you for it.
No matter how many supplies you get in your last run to the pharmacy, you lose all of them.

I'd go on, but I'd be preaching to the choir.

The lack of impact your choices had is just pitiful.

Also, ME3's ending can hardly be linked to its choice and consequence system. Pretty much all evidence points to poor writing attempting to come off as deep in order to create speculation.

This series does need a deeper relationship with its choice/consequence dynamic. Does it need to span off into several different stories? No. But a little extra diversity to deepen the illusion, even slightly, while keeping up the same standard of writing would be an improvement. Now if for some reason, and I can't imagine one aside from time restraints of budget, they could only give us one or the other, Id choose the writing and emotional depth. But I'd like both.
---
-Javik: You and the Quarian are...joined? -Shepard: You could say that. -Javik: She calls it your emergency induction port? Shepard: I should go.
#13scoobydoobydontPosted 1/10/2013 10:43:44 AM
ME3 did not suffer from too many choices...
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#14joyce_181502Posted 1/15/2013 3:58:21 PM
Yes it's annoying that the game tells you your choices matter over and over again and then (by Episode 3 at the latest) you realize that's all a lie.

Even at the beginning, it seems pretty clear Lee is going to die protecting Clementine. And even the setup for it in Episode 4 seems pretty hokey. And because of that, you then know what is going to happen at the end of Episode 5.

But the surprising thing is that the game still seems able to do genuine emotion even though you have a really good idea about what is going to happen.
#15Asuka2013Posted 1/15/2013 4:05:43 PM
Oh, some ignorant people just love to slam this game for being good.
Your choices matter...because they affect YOU, the player, the most. There is no "illusion of choice" in this game...you do pick your choices and how you interact with the other characters. You want to be an a$$hole Lee and tell off everyone? Pick and choose.
Want to be a caring, hardened survivor willing to do anything to protect Clementine?
Lee himself is crafted by what you choose him to do and say.
However, given the idiocy of the TC's post, he'll probably remain ignorant or never play the game. This isn't some shoot-'em-up COD; this is an experience, and the choices affect the player more than the game, and that's what Telltale has advertised.
---
Halo, Assassin's Creed 3, CoD? Hah! Congrats to Telltale:
THE WALKING DEAD - Game of the Year 2012
#16joyce_181502Posted 1/15/2013 4:54:31 PM
It seems quite clear the people complaining about the game's "choice" are the ones who have actually played and beaten it.

Unfortunately you don't have a choice because the game funnels you to the same end.

Thus the choice in this game boils down to: do you want to wear a RED shirt or a BLUE shirt ... and then the next non-interactive cutscene shows your shirt being ripped off so the characters can comment on your lack of shirt.

If you exit out to the main menu during conversations, you can see first hand that some timed conversations have the responding character all say the exact same thing regardless of your choice.

That alone does not make it a bad game but the touting of "your actions matter" when they really don't makes some people feel cheated.
#17ROFLROOSTERPosted 1/15/2013 6:17:14 PM
Asuka2013 posted...
Oh, some ignorant people just love to slam this game for being good.
Your choices matter...because they affect YOU, the player, the most. There is no "illusion of choice" in this game...you do pick your choices and how you interact with the other characters. You want to be an a$$hole Lee and tell off everyone? Pick and choose.
Want to be a caring, hardened survivor willing to do anything to protect Clementine?
Lee himself is crafted by what you choose him to do and say.
However, given the idiocy of the TC's post, he'll probably remain ignorant or never play the game. This isn't some shoot-'em-up COD; this is an experience, and the choices affect the player more than the game, and that's what Telltale has advertised.

exactly. you don't choose what happens, you choose HOW it all happens
---
No.
Dead to me.
#18Tech9Posted 1/18/2013 2:04:14 PM
I would argue you could still have choices you make, like character A lives/dies, and have events in between Season 1 and Season 2 be different. Like instead of going to a house for shelter you move on to gas station. As long as the end of Season 1 is "forced" then Season 2 can start at the same place. If the overall game would suffer in terms of quality, I would rather have it exactly like Season 1..

It's just annoying that the events and locations are all the same. I think lots of us were expecting that instead of just different dialogue. As it stands, it's still a good game but I wouldn't play through it again.
#19Sega9599Posted 1/27/2013 2:04:26 PM
Tech9 posted...
I would argue you could still have choices you make, like character A lives/dies, and have events in between Season 1 and Season 2 be different. Like instead of going to a house for shelter you move on to gas station. As long as the end of Season 1 is "forced" then Season 2 can start at the same place. If the overall game would suffer in terms of quality, I would rather have it exactly like Season 1..

It's just annoying that the events and locations are all the same. I think lots of us were expecting that instead of just different dialogue. As it stands, it's still a good game but I wouldn't play through it again.

I agree. I really thought the game should take you down completely different tracks, not based on the BIG choices you make, but based on some small decision perhaps.
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.