Alpha Protocol.

You stole my recommendation!
#12JC_PhoenixPosted 1/24/2013 3:01:21 PM
joyce_181502 posted...
IronTusk posted...
Alpha Protocol.

You stole my recommendation!

Thirded.

As far as 999 goes its a great visual novel, adventure, point and click type game. Your choices lead to one of 5 or so possible endings. It's very interesting and Dark, a lot like Walking dead. Not much on commentary though. Your choices are basically choosing which door to go through. it never really has those small personal choices like who to give food to, it's more just deciding which fork in the road to take.

Virtues last reward I haven't played, but supposedly it has a lot more endings
---
"You are a planned organism, the offspring of knowledge and imagination rather than of individuals"-Morpheus
#13Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:41:37 PM
Well, since Alpha Protocol seems to be the favorite and is incredibly cheap at Amazon - I think I'll try that one out first.

Keeping all the others on my radar though. Thanks!
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727, NintendoID: the1graz (friend me through Miiverse)
#14lovable_lombaxPosted 1/24/2013 8:09:27 PM
Look into visual novels. That's the most abundant source of games similar to this. I'd play 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, and if you like those, try some others like Saya no Uta, Planetarian, Ever 17, and Muv Luv Alternative for example.

And while Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy are most similar to The Walking Dead gameplay-wise, the general consensus is that their writing is not really that great, and going straight from a very well written game like The Walking Dead to one of those will likely be fairly disappointing.

And I will also recommend Nier. While there's not much choice at all, (though there are 4 endings) I'd say in terms of the tone of the story, it is the closest game to The Walking Dead that I can think of. It's story and soundtrack is about as good as it gets.
#15Sega9599Posted 1/27/2013 12:45:24 PM
Cosmic Mayhem posted...
Check out Back to the Future: The Game. It's made by Telltale Games and it has similarities to The Walking Dead.. It's available on every platform except the 360.

is it pretty good?
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#16Cosmic MayhemPosted 1/28/2013 12:49:17 AM
If you like the point and click adventure games AND you love Back to the Future than yes. It's awesome.
---
-\o_o/-
#17simonpunkPosted 2/15/2013 9:11:52 PM
Do you want good and emotional stories? Don't play heavy rain, it's just a big mess full with clichés. The story looks like it was written by a 5 years old.
Play mass effect, deadly premonition, back to the future, jurassic park (the story is pretty good, the gameplay not so much), dragon age.
#18Yorkshire_14Posted 2/16/2013 6:38:52 PM
Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout. Almost any RPG has choices for you to make.
---
Break the pan! Release the bacon!
#19Jag85Posted 2/18/2013 4:30:41 PM(edited)
lovable_lombax posted...
Look into visual novels. That's the most abundant source of games similar to this. I'd play 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, and if you like those, try some others like Saya no Uta, Planetarian, Ever 17, and Muv Luv Alternative for example.

And while Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy are most similar to The Walking Dead gameplay-wise, the general consensus is that their writing is not really that great, and going straight from a very well written game like The Walking Dead to one of those will likely be fairly disappointing.

And I will also recommend Nier. While there's not much choice at all, (though there are 4 endings) I'd say in terms of the tone of the story, it is the closest game to The Walking Dead that I can think of. It's story and soundtrack is about as good as it gets.

This. Visual Novel (VN) games are quite easily the closest thing to The Walking Dead, so much so that many even consider TWD to be a VN game itself (which is up for debate, but that's another topic altogether).

Anway, the OP should definitely check out the VN games listed above: the Zero Escape series (999 and Virtue's Last Reward), Ever 17 (predecessor of Zero Escape series), Saya no Uta, Planetarian, Muv-Luv Alternative, etc.

In addition, another VN I'd add to that list is Clannad. The whole father-daughter-like relationship in TWD reminded me of Clannad, especially the After Story portion (i.e. second half). Anyway, Clannad had some of the most emotionally powerful drama I've seen in any medium, so I'd highly recommend it.

And oh yeah, if the Zero Escape games interest the OP, then I'd also recommend checking out the Infinity series, which includes Ever 17 (mentioned above) and Remember 11. Another VN I'd highly recommend is Steins Gate, which has one of the most engaging and thought-provoking sci-fi narratives I've seen in years, in any medium.

And beyond VN games, the OP might also want to check out some other VN-like adventure games, such as Catherine and To the Moon, both of which arguably had the best video game narratives for the previous year of 2011.
#20Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 9:23:10 AM
Jag85 posted...
lovable_lombax posted...

This. Visual Novel (VN) games are quite easily the closest thing to The Walking Dead, so much so that many even consider TWD to be a VN game itself (which is up for debate, but that's another topic altogether).

Anway, the OP should definitely check out the VN games listed above: the Zero Escape series (999 and Virtue's Last Reward), Ever 17 (predecessor of Zero Escape series), Saya no Uta, Planetarian, Muv-Luv Alternative, etc.

In addition, another VN I'd add to that list is Clannad. The whole father-daughter-like relationship in TWD reminded me of Clannad, especially the After Story portion (i.e. second half). Anyway, Clannad had some of the most emotionally powerful drama I've seen in any medium, so I'd highly recommend it.

And oh yeah, if the Zero Escape games interest the OP, then I'd also recommend checking out the Infinity series, which includes Ever 17 (mentioned above) and Remember 11. Another VN I'd highly recommend is Steins Gate, which has one of the most engaging and thought-provoking sci-fi narratives I've seen in years, in any medium.

And beyond VN games, the OP might also want to check out some other VN-like adventure games, such as Catherine and To the Moon, both of which arguably had the best video game narratives for the previous year of 2011.

Thanks! Catherine has been on my radar for quite a while now. Think I'll be picking it up along with 999 during my next game drought
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727, NintendoID: the1graz (friend me through Miiverse)