Game is overrated (Spoilers)

#1gamerzorPosted 3/2/2013 1:19:32 AM
I played this game twice and the first time, it was amazing and I was really into it. The second time, wasn't so much.

I'm entirely disappointed that you can't really change the outcomes in this game, I feel like they could've made this game a lot deeper by changing entire chapter scenarios based on your decisions. Really, your decisions still make you meet the same characters (Omid and Christa), same people die (Larry and Carly), end up in the same place (when you get interrogated in that room), just people say a few lines different. Example : I really wanted to save Carly, but was so disappointed when I found out I could not, no matter what I say or do.

So really, when they said the story tailors how you play the game, that is a lie. This game really is just a movie. A very good movie at that, but not a game they claimed it to be. I wonder how this even won Game of the Year at VGA?
#2The_Milk_Man13Posted 3/2/2013 3:27:07 AM
You only control Lee. You don't control how Lily thinks, or how Carley reacts to her. You can't change the direction the train is going, or control whether or not Christa and Omid will be arguing when you pull in. Lee has no knowledge of what's going to happen, and he isn't even the leader of the group, he's just the right hand man of Kenny or Lily. Go find a terrorist and try to talk him out of terrorizing, see how that works out.

This game made Game of the Year because out of all the games made, this one is the most emotional. Just about everyone who plays this is hit with a case of the feels, and they actually care about the characters. The story was tragic, the characters felt like real people, and when you had to see the people you came to love throughout the series die it isn't something most people laugh at and keep playing without thinking back. It earned it's place as Game of the Year just because of story alone.
---
It's as though I know every combo in the video game but they keep pressing the A button!
#3spacecowboy44Posted 3/2/2013 9:30:39 AM
The_Milk_Man13 posted...
You only control Lee. You don't control how Lily thinks, or how Carley reacts to her. You can't change the direction the train is going, or control whether or not Christa and Omid will be arguing when you pull in. Lee has no knowledge of what's going to happen, and he isn't even the leader of the group, he's just the right hand man of Kenny or Lily. Go find a terrorist and try to talk him out of terrorizing, see how that works out.

This game made Game of the Year because out of all the games made, this one is the most emotional. Just about everyone who plays this is hit with a case of the feels, and they actually care about the characters. The story was tragic, the characters felt like real people, and when you had to see the people you came to love throughout the series die it isn't something most people laugh at and keep playing without thinking back. It earned it's place as Game of the Year just because of story alone.

this...you have to realize that you dont control the world...you control Lee and how he reacts to the events in the world....yes they did oversell it a little with saying how much you do impacts the world...but you cant expect that to mean anything you do changes something
---
---Playing Hardcore with me is like quail hunting with Dick Cheney.
#4PokeyBananaPosted 3/2/2013 11:41:03 AM
I enjoyed this game more when I decided that it's not really about me/Lee changing the world as one man can't really do much in this situation. I see it more as deciding how Lee acts and how others relate to him, rather than changing the world.

Yes, it would have been nice to have had more game-changing impact, but that was never really going to be viable, so I just enjoy the game for what it is.
---
DLC - Paying rent on what you already own
#5gamerzor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 1:16:30 PM
Yes I'm aware you only control Lee. but you should be able to CHANGE entire chapter scenarios based on your decisions. If Lily wanted to shoot Carly, maybe you can make her shoot Ben instead by your DECISIONS. Maybe you can prevent Kenny from smashing Larry's head by your DECISIONS. I mean the game is great, but it have so much more potential. Because at the end of the day, the game doesn't tailor to how we play, because the scenarios I'm telling you guys is the SAME SCENARIOS that you guys experienced. We essentially are playing the SAME game, same story, which is a tad bit disappointing, we should have the potential to have ENTIRELY DIFFERENT games. Now that, would truly make this game unique. But as of right now, I don't see myself replaying it, and it is a movie, rather than a game.
#6UnCool_HeadPosted 3/2/2013 9:01:03 PM
Although I agree and disagree at the same time, I'm not sure how can I explain to you the concepts of ludism because my english is pretty bad.

Long-story short: when the game - which itself has no difficult/skill-required challenges - can make you not only relate, but connect with the characters and their stories, making your own story through an illusion strong enough to make you develop emotions for a nonexistent person, that... even if it isn't short, that is a game-play in the very meaning of its existence.

It could be overrated (anything good gets overrated every now and then), but still a good game and example of ludism.
#7pillerofautumnPosted 3/17/2013 9:42:01 AM
but you should be able to CHANGE entire chapter scenarios based on your decisions.

I would also have liked that. But then I remember that this is an episodic arcade game. Each episode is like 600 megabytes. Barely over half a gig. It's easy to say you should have been able to change things dramatically, but you have to remember people have to work on this. It's not as easy as it should have been.

And the fact that each dramatic decision also affects the next chapters down the line. I remember reading Ep1 was like a 500+ page script. Dialogue alone. Imagine if we were to follow what you're saying. Each episode would have to be exponentially bigger to support all the branching paths. What you're asking for is unrealistic. It's not like they didn't make it that way because they didn't want to make an awesome game with branching paths. They didn't make it that way because there are limitations that you people sometimes forget are there.
#8SlapInTheFacePosted 3/17/2013 5:51:54 PM
I think it's overrated simply because it isn't really much of a game at all. It's really more of an interactive movie. Don't get me wrong, i grew up on graphic adventure computer games of the late 80's and early 90's and i love the fact that telltale is trying to revive the genre on the console, but the gameplay is just too simplistic and easy. The puzzles are simple and don't require a whole lot of thought, and the majority of the game is spent watching the story unfold rather than actually playing the game. Other recently revived graphic adventures like Monkey Island 1 & 2 Special Editions are perfect examples of what a graphic adventure should be. There's an entertaining story and some very well written dialogue and interesting characters in there, but the emphasis is on the actual gameplay.