people complaing about illusion of choice are entitled spoiled

#1AWorldUnitedPosted 5/22/2013 12:43:08 PM
and totally ignorant to how much working, writing, voice acting, drawing, time, and animated it would take to make tons and tons of if different storylines available.

not to mentions, how on green earth coulds we have a sequel if everyone and their mom had a different ending?

I mean, come on kids. come to reality, please
#2spacecowboy44Posted 5/23/2013 10:37:14 AM
agreed...however the problem is that ppl forget they are only controlling lee...not the world
---
---Playing Hardcore with me is like quail hunting with Dick Cheney.
#3CokroachCharliePosted 5/23/2013 4:04:59 PM
Not to sound mean, but they pulled it off pretty well with Mass Effect...of course...that was a much higher budget developer there.
#4spacecowboy44Posted 5/24/2013 8:26:12 AM
CokroachCharlie posted...
Not to sound mean, but they pulled it off pretty well with Mass Effect...of course...that was a much higher budget developer there.

not really...you only control sheps actions..and even then it ends relatively the same no matter what

and like you said...arcade game vs AAA title
---
---Playing Hardcore with me is like quail hunting with Dick Cheney.
#5pedrovay2004Posted 5/30/2013 12:54:30 PM
I agree 100%. People seem to not realize that in games like TWD and Mass Effect, the choices affect the JOURNEY, not the ending.
#6PokeyBananaPosted 5/31/2013 9:47:56 AM
CokroachCharlie posted...

No they didn't. ME never really gave you meaningful choices, the end happens all the same anyway.
---
When the apocalypse comes I'm going to be a bicycle courier. It's an honest living with a steady wage. We can't all be mutant hunters, after all
#7jreece17Posted 6/12/2013 7:58:24 PM
No offense man, but having just finished this game- I couldn't help but feel disappointed at the realization that a second, or third play-through wouldn't change the experience in any significant way. And to be honest with you- calling anyone who shares the same sentiment, "entitled," is seriously short-sighted. So if I, or anyone else feels this way, its indicative of a character flaw on our part? Or a testament to our ignorance of the inner workings of the gaming industry? Thats really not a fair assessment man.

Let me tell you, I was extremely excited about the prospect of going back and saving Shawn instead of Duck. "A story tailored to your choices." Of course I'm going to get a different experience. Turns out, I was wrong. Your choice really doesn't matter in that instance. But of course, because this particular thing isn't delivered, it suddenly becomes "about the journey," or my favorite- "its not the game, its you." Don't even get me started on that purely "cosmetic change" in the beginning of episode 5.

That being said, I loved the heck out of the ride (all the way up to the last episode, but that's a different story). However, in my estimation- these people have a legitimate gripe: and its not because they're entitled, or they don't understand how game development works, or some other unforeseen character flaw. Its a linear experience largely composed of various small, minute "routes" to point A or B, and in some cases- no alternative route at all. Its just not what a lot players expected, and no one should have their intelligence insulted because their impression of the game doesn't match yours or anyone else. A hall-mark of good fiction is being able to take away different things from the story. Obviously, you found something that resonates with you. Awesome. I'm happy for you.These other people didn't. Don't berate them for it.
---
"Mississippi Delta Alliance is back!!!!!!!!!"
#8IdioticgeniusPosted 6/21/2013 11:23:01 PM
jreece17 posted...
No offense man, but having just finished this game- I couldn't help but feel disappointed at the realization that a second, or third play-through wouldn't change the experience in any significant way. And to be honest with you- calling anyone who shares the same sentiment, "entitled," is seriously short-sighted. So if I, or anyone else feels this way, its indicative of a character flaw on our part? Or a testament to our ignorance of the inner workings of the gaming industry? Thats really not a fair assessment man.

Let me tell you, I was extremely excited about the prospect of going back and saving Shawn instead of Duck. "A story tailored to your choices." Of course I'm going to get a different experience. Turns out, I was wrong. Your choice really doesn't matter in that instance. But of course, because this particular thing isn't delivered, it suddenly becomes "about the journey," or my favorite- "its not the game, its you." Don't even get me started on that purely "cosmetic change" in the beginning of episode 5.

That being said, I loved the heck out of the ride (all the way up to the last episode, but that's a different story). However, in my estimation- these people have a legitimate gripe: and its not because they're entitled, or they don't understand how game development works, or some other unforeseen character flaw. Its a linear experience largely composed of various small, minute "routes" to point A or B, and in some cases- no alternative route at all. Its just not what a lot players expected, and no one should have their intelligence insulted because their impression of the game doesn't match yours or anyone else. A hall-mark of good fiction is being able to take away different things from the story. Obviously, you found something that resonates with you. Awesome. I'm happy for you.These other people didn't. Don't berate them for it.

this guy is pretty much right, people were told the story would change depending on your choices, its only natural to think that these choose who lives and dies moments wouldnt be just restricted to carly and doug, and even then they slap you with that two episodes later

still though, after i realised it didnt change the story dramatically, the dialogue changes and delivery of the story were so great i didnt give any amount of **** about it anymore

also episode two deciding whether you and kenny are best friends or leadership enemies. that was both great and dilivered a bit off at the same time
---
MHTri ,Luis, HR54 ID (B186QQ)
#9HeavyJay901Posted 6/22/2013 12:01:46 AM
At the start of the game it tells you straight up that the universe changes and adapts with your choices. You can be the complete d**k head kill everyone you can the first chance you get and still come out of it all with the same ending as the guy that was nice and didn't step on peoples toes and tryed to save everyone.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!

Choice 1 save carly or dough... doesn't matter they both die.

Choice 2. Side with kenny or (lisa)? Can't remember her name. Larrys duaghter.
Doesn't matter lisa leaves no matter what and kenny dies.

Are just some examples. How come if I want to side with lisa we cant stay at the motor pool and have different series of events? Or if you pick carly the quick shot. She shoots lisa instead? Or dough rig explosives against the bandits? Your choices don't mean anything the way it was made.

Maybe i don't want a sequel. Maybe I want a unique story of my own like they promissed me. If they do more episodes and I hope they do. Its called the passage of time. If my kenny was alive doesn't mean he is 5 years down the road. Its also a big universe with a lot of other people's stories to tell.
#10AWorldUnited(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 11:30:42 PM
I am sorry, but the two guys who came in here complaining about ++++ not+++ being able to save
Shawn

really should not be speaking. I meant, if you don't even know the storyline of the series, then why our how you have right to file the long winded complaints?