Addictive?... yes.......... impossible?.. probably.

#1raydowner_ukPosted 11/29/2012 7:32:54 AM
The levels are 60 seconds I believe?

If so this is clearly impossible.

The randomness of the sequences means that you can only improve up to an extent through practice, after which it is a combination of reactions and blind luck, because some sequences are vastly harder than others which appear at equivalent points in the level.

Getting to 30 seconds is a feat of inhuman reactions. Doing another 30 seconds at an even faster speed is obviously not possible.

If ever a game needed a checkpoint system of some kind (even if it was at mid-level) this is it.

tl;dr
good concept.... stupid difficulty.
#2fawful_XPosted 11/29/2012 8:20:34 AM
Wrong.

Once you get good enough, you can consistently pull off 1 minute runs. When you get better, you can either consistently perform 2 minute runs or 1 minute hyper mode runs.'

Still, Hexagonest is always harder than Hyper Hexagon.
---
This signature is a lie. The link isn't.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691923-super-hexagon
#3NeoRamzaPosted 11/29/2012 10:57:28 AM
It's definitely not impossible, but as you say some sequences are harder than others, so a little bit of luck is always helpful. So far I've managed to last 60+ seconds on Hexagon and Hexagoner (and almost Hyper Hexagon), but not Hexagonest yet.
#4raydowner_uk(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 2:54:46 PM
I think it's completely ridiculous.

20 seconds average.... 30 on a good run, but absolutely no chance of doing 60.

I'll chalk it up as a stupid impulse buy that I'll never touch again, but really it just highlights the problem of allowing people to release ghetto games out of their bedroom where no testing or quality control has to be undertaken.
#5JunpeiIoriPosted 11/29/2012 6:29:34 PM
Ummm, just keep playing?

Seriously, it's incredible how much better you get if you just keep at it.

Stop looking at your triangle too. Look at the entire screen all at once. When you do that, you see the exact patterns coming WAY earlier and you can react accordingly.

I'm not even that good at the game, I've only beaten Hexagon, but I see myself constantly improving.

Oh, and if you're whining about Hexagon mode then watch the creator of the game beat Hyper Hexagonest...in front of a live audience...on his first attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ96olZr8DE

It's absolutely not impossible. Stop whining and get better.
---
PSN / XBL: JunpeiIori
Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.
#6raydowner_uk(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 1:24:17 AM
I saw that video earlier, but it's quite likely that he is

1) Not actually playing it but is merely pretending to play whilst a video of gameplay is run

and

2) The said video was created with the game being played at a much slower speed and has then been speeded back up for the presentation.
#7JunpeiIoriPosted 11/30/2012 10:59:17 AM
Clearly you're trolling but I need a troll answer for this.

How do you explain people actually finishing the game themselves?
---
Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.
#8raydowner_uk(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 12:02:43 PM
I'm not trolling. Maybe pointing out how ridiculous this game is comes across that way?

As for people completing this game themselves, well, not many people are.

Looking at the steam stats only 30% of people have managed to clear hexgon and the percentage of clears drops rapidly as difficulty increases to the point where only fractions of a percentage are clearing harder levels.
#9JunpeiIoriPosted 11/30/2012 6:12:10 PM
If even just one person has, then it isn't impossible. It just takes practice.

You can continue complaining but it won't make you any better at the game.
---
#10raydowner_uk(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 3:26:51 PM
Maybe you are taking my use of the word "impossible" too literally. Whilst it probably isn't impossible in the strictest sense it is highly improbable that it can be completed.

Of course, blindfold someone and tell them to randomly input directions and they may eventually clear it with enough runs. Very unlikely, but not strictly impossible.

Those runs of the higher difficulties are definitely fake. The only way they possibly wouldn't be is if there is a way to make the game run a specific sequence of obstacles in a specific order that doesn't change each time. Even then though it's going to be a matter of running it thousands of times to get a clear, even with plenty of practice under your belt.

The concept is very clever, but the difficulty combined with the randomness and disorienting gameplay make it highly unlikely to be cleared with any consistency.