What difficulty did you survive the longest in, ignoring Regular Hexagon?

#1fawful_XPosted 11/29/2012 6:52:37 PM
You can play Hyper Mode early via Arcade Mode. Hyper Hexagon is included for not being regular hexagon. - Results (18 votes)
Hexagoner
66.67% (12 votes)
Hexagonest
5.56% (1 votes)
Hyper Hexagon
11.11% (2 votes)
Hyper Hexagoner
16.67% (3 votes)
Hyper Hexagonest
0% (0 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Even though I know that Hyper Hexagonest would get the fewest votes, it is an option anyway. I survived the longest in Hexagoner, by the way.
---
This signature is a lie. The link isn't.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691923-super-hexagon
#2raydowner_ukPosted 11/30/2012 2:04:04 AM
I survived 33 seconds on Hexagon. I then uninstalled the game because it's blatantly impossible.
#3raydowner_ukPosted 12/5/2012 1:48:47 PM
This game leans far too heavily in the direction of luck over knowledge, especially on the higher difficulties where you can't make adjustments.

It's more about which angle the game brings the patterns in from, and whether you are able to get an advance view of the exit before it's too late to react, and also what patterns it throws in what order as some combinations are impossible if you've been forced to the opposite side by a previous pattern and are unsighted for the next one.

Unless there is a certain sequence or offset to combinations of patterns then the higher difficulties are completely impossible because they can't be done on reactions alone, and I doubt some of them are even possible when it combines certain patterns from certain angles one after another. The cursor is amusingly too twitchy and also too slow in an emergency... the worst of both worlds.
#4ClaustrofosPosted 12/6/2012 6:28:31 AM
raydowner_uk posted...
This game leans far too heavily in the direction of luck over knowledge, especially on the higher difficulties where you can't make adjustments.

It's more about which angle the game brings the patterns in from, and whether you are able to get an advance view of the exit before it's too late to react, and also what patterns it throws in what order as some combinations are impossible if you've been forced to the opposite side by a previous pattern and are unsighted for the next one.

Unless there is a certain sequence or offset to combinations of patterns then the higher difficulties are completely impossible because they can't be done on reactions alone, and I doubt some of them are even possible when it combines certain patterns from certain angles one after another. The cursor is amusingly too twitchy and also too slow in an emergency... the worst of both worlds.

Sorry but you are just simply wrong. I've beat 5/6 levels. If you were to argue that the last level is impossible then I might agree with you but I know even that is doable.
---
Even to myself I'm a genius
#5raydowner_ukPosted 12/6/2012 6:40:51 AM
You don't agree that certain combinations of hazards or certain hazards at higher speeds are vastly more difficult than others?

That was my point; the the randomness can give you are run that is a lot harder one time than it is the other.

I like the randomness in one sense that it doesn't reduce the game to remembering a sequence, and you are playing it "on the fly" as such, but the variation in difficulty of some of the hazards means that the randomness can throw much harder sequences at you in one run compared to another.
#6raydowner_ukPosted 12/6/2012 6:57:52 AM
I'm pretty adamant that Hexagonest is impossible, mainly because,

If you hesitate for a millisecond .... you die
If you don't pre-emptively move somewhere... anywhere...... you die
If you move the wrong way.... you die

Combine that with the spinning and reverse spinning combinations and you haven't got a hope in hell frankly. Certain sequences in that mode are definitely impossible because you don't have the time required to move once you can see the path out.

There's roughly as 1.5% clear rate for that according to the stats, and you have to account for a proportion of those being cheats as well.
#7ClaustrofosPosted 12/6/2012 7:28:22 AM(edited)
raydowner_uk posted...
I'm pretty adamant that Hexagonest is impossible, mainly because,

If you hesitate for a millisecond .... you die
If you don't pre-emptively move somewhere... anywhere...... you die
If you move the wrong way.... you die

Combine that with the spinning and reverse spinning combinations and you haven't got a hope in hell frankly. Certain sequences in that mode are definitely impossible because you don't have the time required to move once you can see the path out.

There's roughly as 1.5% clear rate for that according to the stats, and you have to account for a proportion of those being cheats as well.

First you said Hexagon is impossible, now you say Hexagonest is impossible. Notice the pattern? The game is hard but it's all about learning it. The success rate of beating hexagonest is 2,6% btw.

To clear up things: You can hesitate in hexagonest. I've done so many times and not died. In the hyper modes hesitation can and will get you killed though. Especially in hyper hexagonest where you need to play the game instinctively. Pre-emptiveness is not needed in anywhere except maybe in hyper hexagon where I admit there were a couple pretty unfair situations. And of course there are situations where going the wrong way will get you killed, but how does that make the game impossible? Going the wrong way is your error, not the game's.
---
#8ClaustrofosPosted 12/6/2012 7:30:56 AM
And please, stop belittling others by calling them cheaters. You're ineptitude to excel in this game doesn't make other people cheaters. It makes them better at this game than you.
---
#9raydowner_ukPosted 12/6/2012 7:37:48 AM
Going the wrong way is a consequence of having to move pre-emptively. You are forced to move pre-emptively in hexagonest in the 180 degree switch sequences for example and if one of those happens to not be an actual 180 but less, or it throws a different pattern immediately after a couple of switchbacks you are going to die and it's not your fault.

You are FORCED to more before the exit is visible a lot of the time because there isn't enough time to wing it. Sometimes the game forces you to avoid a pattern and puts you on the opposite side of the next obstacle. If the screen decides to starting spinning in the opposite direction at the wrong moment (completely removing your ability to see an exit approaching) that's not your fault either.

Half of it is guessing correctly and half of it is moving pre-emptively to where you think you need to be, unfortunately you can't be right all the time, and even the slightest hesitation can screw you up. Even if you get lost but still clear the pattern, it can put you off enough to miss the next one.
#10raydowner_ukPosted 12/6/2012 8:03:25 AM
I called a proportion of them cheats which they are undoubtedly are.

If you can't acknowledge that then you aren't living in the real world.