Why did they change the guess pitch option?

#1tcdctcPosted 3/5/2013 3:54:28 PM
I always use the setting (I think it's either default or classic 1/4) where you can call a pitch and location and then the strike zone will light up red if you select the correct pitch or it will light up the area the pitch is going to if you select the right zone.

The problem is now you have to get both the pitch type and location correct or it will not show you any indication you guessed right. In other words, you can't just get the location right or the pitch right, it has to be both.

This is frustrating because I like to play on Legend hitting difficultly and it just got a whole lot harder.

Does anyone know if you can somehow change it back to the old way? I've tried every guess pitch setting (default, classic 1/4, PCI, etc...) and adjusted the difficulty setting thinking it was related to the Legend difficultly, but still nothing...
#2niko916408Posted 3/5/2013 3:59:15 PM(edited)
They just made it a bit tougher. I know they changed it from changing the boarder color to making the ball flash red when you guess it correctly.

I don't think it can be changed that I've found out.

---
XBL: stevedave408
PSN: Niko408
#3tcdctc(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 4:30:51 PM
I messed around with it some and when it flashes where the ball is that is one setting, but you can change it to the old way where the entire zone lights up. But still, I guess you can't change the fact that now you have to guess both pitch and location or you get nothing.
#4BUHS03Posted 3/5/2013 5:36:30 PM
They really ruined this, and it was one of my favorite parts of the game. Loved when I was playing with a friend in the same room, the nervous tension that would occur because of the guess pitch option. And it really forced you to think about what pitch you wanted to throw and where based on the tendencies of the person you were playing. Now even if you guess fastball every time, by the time you can react to the ball blinking red it has already whizzed by you.... seriously so upsetting they changed it.

Funny thing is they still call it "Classic 1/4"
#5niko916408Posted 3/5/2013 5:48:09 PM
I don't see it as huge of a deal as people are making it. I mean, I understand how heavily we all relied on it in MLB 12. I know I did. This one makes me rethink my game. It is actually a bit more fun and challenging. It is still there just in a different way.

I do feel your pain though. At the same time, I don't mind adjusting.
---
XBL: stevedave408
PSN: Niko408
#6knicksah2oPosted 3/5/2013 6:08:10 PM
I also used this guess pitch method in last years game and wish they would have put it in this years. It is taking some getting used to, but I'm still managing to put together plenty of hits every game. Use the "contact" swing to stay alive when you fall behind in the count. Last years game, it felt like it was impossible to get a hit when I used the contact swing. This year I'm driving balls into gaps with it.
#7este914Posted 3/5/2013 6:10:46 PM
Can anyone explain to Me how its actually supposed to work now?
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#8tcdctc(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 6:31:03 PM
I might just turn the guess pitch off completely. You take a penalty (I think the size of your hit zone) if you guess wrong. About 90% of the time I guess wrong, so really it would make more sense to just not use it and go back to the basics of reading and reacting to the pitch.
#9The_Juice_Posted 3/5/2013 7:31:44 PM
I've always used no feedback because it feels like cheating if I know when a pitch is coming, does this "get both correct" thing apply to that as well?
---
Difference in men & women: http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9347/writingassignment.jpg
#10tcdctc(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 6:50:56 AM(edited)
I've never used that option. So you mean you still try to guess the pitch and location but even if you get it right, it won't tell you? Seems like it would be better to turn it off because if it still works the same way you are probably guessing wrong most of the time and still getting penalized.

And a separate note.... I figured out that you can guess just the location OR just the pitch type only and if you get it right it will light up. This makes it easier to guess right since you are only picking one or the other, but of course you can only know location or what pitch is coming if you do it that way.