Difficulty?

#1HoneybadgerKevPosted 2/11/2013 2:51:11 PM
Is there anyone else who thinks Dark Souls 2 needs to be harder? I mean once you learn how to play, Dark Souls is very easy.
#2sjwho2Posted 2/11/2013 5:26:19 PM
HoneybadgerKev posted...
Is there anyone else who thinks Dark Souls 2 needs to be harder? I mean once you learn how to play, Dark Souls is very easy.

Dark Souls is a "hard" game, but not a re-flex type.

I think dark souls 2 should just allow more newbie-friendly play. A better tutorial and explanation of the games mechanics would make the game so much more easier and also a lot more enjoyable for newbies, while making the overrall game experience still "hard" by standards.
#3AlbinoCrocodilePosted 2/12/2013 2:25:44 AM
That pretty much applies to every damn game.
---
Miss Albino at your service...
Not really.
#4HoneybadgerKev(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 12:36:33 PM
sjwho2 posted...
HoneybadgerKev posted...

Dark Souls is a "hard" game, but not a re-flex type.

I think dark souls 2 should just allow more newbie-friendly play. A better tutorial and explanation of the games mechanics would make the game so much more easier and also a lot more enjoyable for newbies, while making the overrall game experience still "hard" by standards.

True, a better tutorial would make it more user friendly. The point I'm trying to make is that if you put some actual effort into learning how the mechanics work and which play style you're comfortable with, then the game becomes very easy and beatable at base level. I just want more of a challenge in Dark Souls 2.
#5d3dsightPosted 2/12/2013 12:53:33 PM
Yes. Neither Demon's Souls or Dark Souls would even be considered that difficult if the games explained their mechanics in great detail.

Some people have posted good ideas about enemy randomization...that would be a good start.
#6Suffer_NotPosted 2/12/2013 1:48:14 PM
Dark Souls is a very hard game if you live somewhere without an internet connection.

Otherwise, simply using the Dark Souls Wiki trivializes a lot of it's difficulty. But then the same could be said of a lot of games; they get a lot easier once you know what you are doing.

Honestly, I like a lot of the ideas that Dark Souls had about making it easier for players who stuck to it. Things like the master key and the Drake Sword and how npcs like Big Hat Logan and Domnhall will tell you how to get to deal with the 4 archdemons once you get to that stage of the game. Someone who knew nothing about the game but was persistent could learn everything they needed to know to beaet it.

The tricky part is that most people who play video games aren't persistent. They want a casual experience. And they have a lot of money. And some budget manager somewhere is going to say "Why not make the game easier so those people will also buy it?"

Which is a decision that seems to scare a lot of gamers for some reason. You can make a video game accessible to casuals without 'casualizing' it.

Watch, I'm going to do it right now. One of the starting gifts is a ring or an orb or a soapstone or an invitation to a covenant or whatever that lets you invite people from your friend's list to play the game with you. Bam. Done. The casuals get to play the game with a partner, which makes the game a lot easier since they have twice the firepower. The hard core people pick some other starting item (witch's ring) because they don't need to artificially deflate the difficulty. Everyone is happy.

Except the people who are bad at the game and who also don't have any friends. They have to lame it out with the Drake Sword :x
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#7DaedalusExPosted 2/12/2013 4:57:23 PM
HoneybadgerKev posted...

Absolutely. They can start by nerfing blocking, it's currently too much of a safety net. Emphasize positioning and dodging instead, these are deeper mechanics that are more difficult to master.

Suffer_Not posted...
Everyone is happy.

No, that's essentially easy mode and shouldn't exist for reasons that have been stated countless times.
#8gumbyxcore99Posted 2/12/2013 7:53:29 PM
there is literally no logical reason at all whatsoever why there shouldn't be an easy mode to attract more players.
---
iller than phil schiller
#9Cvdf3Posted 2/12/2013 8:06:25 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
there is literally no logical reason at all whatsoever why there shouldn't be an easy mode to attract more players.

Dark Souls isn't hard. The things that add difficulty to the game are not something you can adjust in a menu. Patience and timing can't be changed in a menu and removing those to make difficulty menu adjustable would take out half of the good things about Souls.
Plus there are TONS of ways in game to make it significantly easier.

The difficulty that does exist is important to the atmosphere and general feeling of the game.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#10BombayNugzPosted 2/12/2013 8:13:38 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...

Because noone wants those scrubs. Its like inviting cancer to have a party in your prostate, why.
---
Go Big Red
PSN: BOMBAYNUGZ420