Holy god that preview was awful

#1KOTRsssPosted 4/11/2013 4:09:03 AM
A bunch of scripted crap and the reveal that they're working on diverse ways to die?

What a ****ing awful idea. Dark Souls is a game centered around *skill*

Adding in a bunch of "unique" ways to die just means that you have no way of knowing where danger is coming from, therefore you cant even chalk it up to skill if you die because you dont know how to react.

How is that a good idea? What is it with lead developers having terrible ideas like this? MAYBE if we have a bunch of DIFFERENT ways of dying, gamers will be really SATISFIED when they overcome it!

What the hell?
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#2SoaringDivePosted 4/11/2013 4:12:30 AM
Wait, so the game that let's you summon other players into your game to do everything hard for you, is "about" skill? The game with RPG elements, so that they game gets easier the more enemies you kill?
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#3KOTRsss(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2013 4:17:16 AM
You're kidding, right? If you cant see how Dark Souls is skill based, I dont see the point in discussing the matter with you. You're either pretending to be stupid so you can prove a point, or you're just stupid to begin with.

This is why it's always a terrible, terrible idea to whore IP out to developers that had nothing to do with the creative process leading up to it.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#4bopjo1Posted 4/11/2013 4:27:37 AM
Agreed, TC. There are so many other areas of improvement and innovation that could be addressed. Surprise deaths that you have no way of preparing for in advance are cheap and lame. There are other ways of introducing difficulty.
#5Cvdf3Posted 4/11/2013 4:34:26 AM
they didnt say surprise deaths but more death variety. -Hopefully- meaning more unique obstacles to overcome.
The only one I could think you'd mean is the bridge

Plus DkS had it's fair share of unpredictable stuff.
---
A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing.
#6Dreaded_FatePosted 4/11/2013 4:43:56 AM
And hate to burst your bubble TC but both previous Souls also had their share of "surprise deaths." Dark Souls having an unhealthy amount of them if going blind, and one of the trailers was focused on nothing but death.

Don't see the problem here.
#7Slayers8anFTWPosted 4/11/2013 4:50:53 AM
Cvdf3 posted...
they didnt say surprise deaths but more death variety. -Hopefully- meaning more unique obstacles to overcome.
The only one I could think you'd mean is the bridge

Plus DkS had it's fair share of unpredictable stuff.

My thoughts exactly. Even if they are referring to surprise deaths, I personally enjoy them. I WISH TO GOD someone would've been recording my expression when I encountered my first mimic in Sen's. I was shocked...and then proceeded to LMAO! Going through the rest of the game I smacked every chest I laid eyes on...sometimes twice to be safe.

Hell, the other day I was discussing with a friend how amazing and soul-shattering frickin' MIMIC BONFIRES would be! I can't be the only one that would enjoy such brutality...right?
---
IMASIANMANG posted... If I could abstractly have sex with you, I'd think about it.
#8MashYouGoodPosted 4/11/2013 5:13:12 AM
When were deaths solely based on skill in the Souls games? Last time I checked, 95% of the deaths were either from being ignorant of rote enemy patterns or 'one kill wonder' insta-death traps (...or the enemy hitting you through walls! lol).

'Skill' takes a back seat in any game that's centred around a lock-on mechanic. /fact
#9MalakTawusPosted 4/11/2013 5:35:17 AM
I wouldn't go as far as TC, but it's true that if they go too far with sudden deaths impossible to foresee it wouldn't be a good thing imo.

For example, what the hell happened on that bridge? Ok, it looks cool but for what we have seen it seems incredibly unfair.......but if there is some sort of warning that that could happen than i guess it would be ok since it would be the player's fault to ignore the warning.
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
#10xdividebyzeroxPosted 4/11/2013 5:38:40 AM
MalakTawus posted...
For example, what the hell happened on that bridge? Ok, it looks cool but for what we have seen it seems incredibly unfair.......but if there is some sort of warning that that could happen than i guess it would be ok since it would be the player's fault to ignore the warning.

That's classic Souls stuff. Both Demon's and Dark Souls had dragons that would burn the bridge you are on and insta-kill you, and what you had to do was either go around them, wade through the flame or time it.

The savviest of a Souls player would know that was a trap, and even someone who hasn't played a Souls game before should know, especially since there's about 20 Wyverns flying all over the place in the trailer. It screams "they are going to do something and I'm not going to like it."
---
Currently playing: Dark Souls and Tekken Tag 2 attempting platinum's