E3 Demo Review

#1SteamyPunkPosted 6/11/2013 12:34:17 PM
Unfortunately, no video was allowed...

First was a presentation of some of the key features and some gameplay. Not much new but the Namco PR guy said servers would be worldwide. Also, when asked if the game would be on PS4 he said "DS2? ....no." The way he said it sounded like they have another game ready to go for next gen.

The gameplay demo had a sorceror run through the previous level we've seen but he made those turtle knights break a wall to create a secret room with a bonfire that let him warp.The smoke covering the bonfire seen in new trailer is warping animation. He then fought statues and a "necromancer" and died about 5 times before running passed them to the boss, the Mirror Knight. Very tough boss who can deflect magic with the shield and can summon help. PR guy said it was just AI for the demo which must mean it's meant to be other players ala Old Monk. Seems it can summon multiple players if you dillydally long enough.

Part 2 coming in a few minutes. Ask questions if you have any.
#2DuneManPosted 6/11/2013 12:36:33 PM
A hands-on preview from gametrailers mentioned things like: backstabs missing at times despite starting the animation, sunstones and slow health regen, and shoulder tackles instead of kicks... did you see those details, any other nuanced differences on display?
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#3caramel_codPosted 6/11/2013 12:53:21 PM
Nice stuff, Steamy.

Any chance they'll talk about changes to invasions or co-op?
#4SteamyPunk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 12:55:39 PM
The sorceror was able to use soul arrows and fire balls with the same catalyst. Based on the comments, seems like you can upgrade your gear to have various attributes. They stressed customization.

I then played the game and noticed a few things.Your character and the enemies seem slightly larger than in DS. I tried to jump but could not, turns out it has been moved to L3. Do not really like this change... My character had a claymore type big sword and a long sword. I tried to backstab the first enemies and it seemed much harder to do, especially with the claymore.I asked if this was the case but the demo guy didn't know. The BS animation was a bunch of slashes and you supposedly do not have as much invincibility while you are in the animation. A halbred character seemed to be doing normal BSes and the camera would zoom in when done.

The healing stones are called Lifegems now and replenish HP slowly. A new magic buff was called something like Astounding Ooze. Sticky white stuff...? Green blossoms are back. The stamina penalties seemed much harsher, even after using a blossom.

I tried jumping down to the fire lizards but it was an auto-death. Sliding down ladders is now a jump down but you suffer damage. Maybe another button is slide down?

Much more colorful than the trailers!!

Hard!! I died to the first few enemies while trying out the mechanics. Kept running out of stamina. Much less invincibility frames. It'll take some time to adjust. I decided to run to the boss and 3 red phantom enemies appeared... I ran by, got boss to about 60% health before dying.

Magic shown was pretty much the same but one spell had arrows rain down from above. Maybe useful in PVP?

More if I remember anything else...
#5DuneManPosted 6/11/2013 12:58:33 PM
I've seen a big magical sword slash spell in the gametrailers interview b-roll. I.e. a sword grows out of the catalyst and does a 180 degree slash in front of the player.

And yeah, much like swapping arrow types for bows it seems you can have two sets of spells to swap between.
---
#6SteamyPunk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 12:59:17 PM
caramel_cod posted...
Nice stuff, Steamy.

PR guy refused to share anything on this...

Oh, he mentioned character customization but seemed to indicate something that sounded like you answer some questions and the game chooses your class. Not sure if optional, probably is.
#7DuneManPosted 6/11/2013 1:05:08 PM
SteamyPunk posted...
caramel_cod posted...
Nice stuff, Steamy.

PR guy refused to share anything on this...

Oh, he mentioned character customization but seemed to indicate something that sounded like you answer some questions and the game chooses your class. Not sure if optional, probably is.

Oh dear... I can see it now:

Question 1. A big ugly, snarling troll approaches. How do you respond?
1. Chop its arms off with the biggest sword I can find.
2. Burn it to the ground with magical fire.
3. Pelt it with arrows from afar.
4. Sneak behind it and stab it right in the dark ring.

Question 2. You and a companion are caught by surprise, your companion drops to the ground with an injury. What is your first response?
1. Group heals, persevere with teamwork.
2. Kill everything in the room then check back with the companion when it is safe.
3. Let them bleed out as the threat is dealt with, then grab their gear and move on alone.

Question 3. A stranger approaches and offers you a magical stone that allows you to traverse to other worlds. The stranger asks what you'd like the stone to do, your response?
1. A stone that allows for the invasion and slaying of others.
2. A stone that allows for jolly cooperation!
3. A stone for honorable duels.
4. A stone that spreads despair and sickness to others.

Yeah, I hope that is all optional. XD
---
#8SteamyPunk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 1:13:48 PM
I played PS3 version and didn't notice difference from PC demo.

Oh, the rain effects during Mirror Knight battle was pretty impressive on PC and I neglected to notice if it wasnt as good on PS3.
#9MrPlanktonPosted 6/11/2013 1:33:21 PM(edited)
SteamyPunk posted...

Oh, the rain effects during Mirror Knight battle was pretty impressive on PC and I neglected to notice if it wasnt as good on PS3.

Was the PC demo running at 60 FPS by any chance?
---
i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz, Sabertooth P67, 8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz, GTX 670 Power Edition SLI, 1 TB SATA III HDD @ 7200 RPM, 800W GS800, Fortress 2 case
#10SteamyPunk(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 1:58:11 PM
MrPlankton posted...
SteamyPunk posted...

Was the PC demo running at 60 FPS by any chance?

I'm not able to count that fast... PR guy stressed graphics would be as good on PC as they are on PS3. ^^