Nonlinear Progression: You can start halfway through the Game

#1caramel_codPosted 7/9/2013 8:20:43 AM
According to a new interview, the game will feature fewer blockades to progression (such as key-locked gates and ringing bells) than DkS1.

Players could, in effect, start at the halfway point if they're good enough. Pretty exciting, and good news for speedrunners.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/dark-souls-ii-to-feature-more-open-world-elements-than-original-6411181
#2CornerCheckPosted 7/9/2013 8:43:46 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info, TC!
#3SoaringDivePosted 7/11/2013 10:02:00 AM
So, half of the game only exists to make your character stronger rather than as a progression?

Uh oh...
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#4Vita_AeternaPosted 7/11/2013 10:27:48 AM
Can't wait for newbs to attempt killing an O/S-level boss in DkSII
#5PhophenomenonPosted 7/11/2013 12:33:48 PM
They should just charge $30 for the game
---
Now Playing: The Last Of Us
[ MS54 ] International Departures
#6SoaringDivePosted 7/11/2013 1:46:17 PM
Pessimism aside, it could actually be pretty neat. More variety and options mean more unique stories.

When I say stories, I mean conversations you have with others about the game. During downtime in band practices, the bassoonist and I would always talk about how we approached an area, the challenges we overcame, etc. We had different experiences due to the options available, and thus there were actual conversations.

But in a linear game like The Last of Us, the only conversations were "I liked the ending". Because the experiences were the exact same and we did the exact same thing from the beginning to end, there was nothing to talk about.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#7kingstagPosted 7/11/2013 1:49:02 PM
Is this any different than how you could beat the original Fallouts in 10-20 minutes if you knew exactly where to go and what to do?
#8caramel_cod(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 9:34:12 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting a negative reaction to this. What exactly is the issue with being able to get to the halfway point early if you're super-skilled?
#9flsomervPosted 7/13/2013 9:54:12 AM
I enjoy having the choice of where to go and when. So, I'm in favor of the start-at-the-halfway-point-and-get-your-butt-kicked concept.
---
"This isn't the anger of a vampire hunter,
This is the rage of all humanity!"
#10MC_Knight01Posted 7/13/2013 10:07:54 AM
caramel_cod posted...
Wow, I wasn't expecting a negative reaction to this. What exactly is the issue with being able to get to the halfway point early if you're super-skilled?

You realize this is no different than Dark Souls right?

By the time you get to Anor Londo you're about half way through the game. You can skip all the bosses prior to sen's fortress and just kill gargoyles and queelag at the start of the game effectively getting to Sen's and being to Anor londo in all about 30 minutes.

The fact that Dark Souls 2 is going to be more Linear and get rid of so much back tracking (Dukes archieves anyone?) you won't have to go back and forth to locations they'll most likely add the equivalent of master key to skip a good portion of the game for the skilled.
---
The PvP Code: More like "guidelines" than actual rules