Lock-on doesn't lock in your aim

#1JCDentonPosted 10/14/2013 7:53:41 AM
Just to clarify something, when you're locked onto an enemy, you can actually still alter where you strike. I was able to lock onto an enemy and strike to my sides.

There is also a presumably new "auto-aim" feature in the options that you may want to turn off, as it might prevent you from manually tracking opponents who are right in front of you but moving to the side.

Anyway, give it a try when the next beta rolls around. I'm glad they added this feature. It should make for much more interesting fights.
#2p06111981Posted 10/14/2013 9:10:20 AM
I noticed this and it could be quite good for crowd control but I did find my self attacking in the wrong direction while I was back peddling.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEFNWiUKp_Y
#3NoblWolfPosted 10/14/2013 10:08:36 AM
Yea I found that I would miss a couple attacks if I pushed in a direction while locked on.

Also noticed that locking on just before swinging with a GS is pretty much a guaranteed hit.
#4NoblWolfPosted 10/14/2013 10:12:21 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5SORS_IMMANISPosted 10/14/2013 12:09:53 PM
I'm interested as to how this works.

I can't really get a feel for it just by hearing people's brief descriptions.
#6nubs222Posted 10/14/2013 12:20:06 PM
SORS_IMMANIS posted...
I'm interested as to how this works.

I can't really get a feel for it just by hearing people's brief descriptions.

When you press the attack button, your swing will go where the reticule last was, if you arent pressing on the control stick. If you are, you swing will go in whatever direction you were pressing it. This means if you're pressing down on the control stick to gain distance from an enemy and hit R1, you'll turn right around and attack behind you.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnnyBGoode1122?feature=mhee
PSN: The_Despair_
#7SORS_IMMANISPosted 10/14/2013 12:21:55 PM
nubs222 posted...
When you press the attack button, your swing will go where the reticule last was, if you arent pressing on the control stick. If you are, you swing will go in whatever direction you were pressing it. This means if you're pressing down on the control stick to gain distance from an enemy and hit R1, you'll turn right around and attack behind you.

Are you saying that there is absolutely no tracking on player attacks any more? That seems ridiculously unfair in PvE.
#8Cvdf3Posted 10/14/2013 12:39:55 PM
SORS_IMMANIS posted...
nubs222 posted...

Are you saying that there is absolutely no tracking on player attacks any more? That seems ridiculously unfair in PvE.

How? It still controls the camera you just have to control the character...
---
Rite of apostles of the ancient dragons.
#9caramel_codPosted 10/14/2013 1:03:56 PM
Cvdf3 posted...
How? It still controls the camera you just have to control the character...

I could see it becoming frustrating, with the Havel/Tarkus BP as an example. Your attacks don't track, but his do; for an enemy that can oneshot you if he so much as clips your leg, that's potentially troublesome.

The whole revamped control system seems to be about making the very act of movement more treacherous than it was in past games, which is something I'm not too certain is a good idea. I liked knowing exactly how my character was going to behave with each button press, but things seem a bit more unpredictable now.
#10zeik56Posted 10/14/2013 1:07:12 PM(edited)
The lock-on felt pretty much like in Dark Souls to me, if you didn't push any directions. To me this change is about giving you more control when you need it, rather than making it harder to do stuff.
---
I'm a dick, and I want to subject other people to that. ~ R.I.P. Ryan Davis