When does this game take place? *speculation/spoilers*

#1ArcvalonsPosted 12/16/2013 11:54:59 AM
I've read theories that say this game is about the very first undead (main character looking for a cure to his affliction), or that it takes long after Dark Souls after the fire is fading again (meaning the Link the Fire ending is canon).
---
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato.
Arc doesn't speak English; he speaks life, the voice of a generation.-gamerTai and pigg
#2Suhn-Sol-JashinPosted 12/16/2013 12:07:15 PM
It is actually confirmed that this is a sequel taking place hundreds of years after Dark Souls.

Which means yes, all of our characters, used the "good" ending.
---
I'm a turtle knight. Fear me.
PSN ID: Suhn-Sol-Jashin
#3Arcvalons(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 12:16:03 PM
Aww, i really liked the Dark Lord ending.
---
Arc doesn't speak English; he speaks life, the voice of a generation.-gamerTai and pigg
#4Suhn-Sol-JashinPosted 12/16/2013 12:20:43 PM
As did I.
It's a shame though.
---
#5DuneManPosted 12/16/2013 12:34:57 PM
Barring the still extant possibility of time travel mechanics, the game does take place long after Dark Souls.

So in terms of chronology, you have the primordial state of sullen grey arch trees and eternal dragons, all stone. Then came fire, bringing with it dichotomy and disparity. Lord Souls were plucked from the First Flame, including the dark soul by the pygmy that would spread out into humanity. At some point things started breaking down amongst the Lords, including the Witch of Izalith creating the first demons via the birth of the Flame of Chaos. A thousand years pass. In the last century of that millennial passage of time the Undead begin spreading across the world. In most of the world the Undead are hunted, some being shipped to the Undead Asylum in the far North. Cue the events of Dark Souls.

I'm not sure how much time has passed since then, but it was enough for much of the knowledge of dragons and the gods to be lost. Yet you still see things like the Inheritors of Sunlight keeping some traditions alive, albeit in a likely different or altered set of meanings. Although I suppose there might be some mention of the God of War, in addition to the Solaire tribute shield(whether or not you believe in the elaborate setup of 'well, we as the developers are going to tease this topic in multiple layers to the very end').

Anyway, there's a chance they stuck with the Solaire linked the fire ending as the canonical setup for Dark Souls 2. Or they might just have left that ambiguous for the player to fill in their own character into that role.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#6Braid_DeanPosted 12/16/2013 1:36:05 PM
The Undead and their reliant relationship with the bonfires are what have
kept Age of Fire alive. Heavily implied by descriptions of the Dark Sign, Homeward Bone, and such from the beta, and has been documented in one of Growshrooms threads.

Therefore
the ending of Dark Souls is irrelevant. The First Flames ubiquity as the source of linking between bonfires is delegated to the Undead.

This is also why this entry is focusing on the curse itself.
The Dark Sign seemingly has a larger role to play.
#7jessdistressedPosted 12/16/2013 7:38:25 PM
Arcvalons posted...
I've read theories that say this game is about the very first undead (main character looking for a cure to his affliction), or that it takes long after Dark Souls after the fire is fading again (meaning the Link the Fire ending is canon).

maybe the Dark Lord tried to extinguish all the bonfires and seize the energy and humanity they stored, but could not. perhaps because they themselves had linked any bonfires they lit throughout the journey and couldn't undo that sacrifice,

or maybe the remaining firekeepers were protected from harm by a ragtag unlikely alliance of intrepid eggheaded iron fleshed chaos servants and the fog-like cat fanciers and darkmoonies whose orb finally worked and WOG spamming stalker priests and sunbros trying to dance YMCA and the bountiful cleavage clan and mighty crestfallen warriors and lustful darkwraiths and roaring dragon cosplayers and michelin men from catarina and thousands of people wearing odd masks and giant armor who teamed up to gank the Dark Lord in a smelly forest with TWoP and ninja flipping and humanity stealing and chainstabbing and longswords that scale with resistance glowing with the blue fire buff of vengeance with a hurricane of mashing R1s and stunlocking and lots of dark bead and the Dark Lord tried desperately to toggle escape and disconnect but during the lag Trusty Patches gave them the boot into a huge bird nest and they ended up back in the asylum where they started with nothing but hate mail and trash talk n their inbox
---
psn/xbox: jessdistressed
#8Arcvalons(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 8:50:21 PM
I was thinking the Dark Lord COULD be canon. Maybe the Dark Lord has been trying to bring forth the Age of Dark, but your character disagrees that is the best choice, and is working against him to link the fire.

How cool would it be that the final boss is the Dark Lord ?
---
#9OblivionAngel77Posted 12/16/2013 9:14:06 PM
I thought dragons were going to be a big part of this game......arent they all dead?! O.o
---
I used to be an Estus chugger like you,
than I took a Lloyds in the knee.
#10Suhn-Sol-JashinPosted 12/16/2013 10:29:39 PM
Arcvalons posted...
I was thinking the Dark Lord COULD be canon. Maybe the Dark Lord has been trying to bring forth the Age of Dark, but your character disagrees that is the best choice, and is working against him to link the fire.

How cool would it be that the final boss is the Dark Lord ?

Nothing you just said made a lick of sense.
---