The Adaptability stat seems pretty stupid

#1AnimeKid1089Posted 2/26/2014 9:50:48 AM
I mean, that stat basically improves both your speed and defenses. We will probably see Heavy-Armored players who move faster than the speed of... sorcery light.

It makes it an OP stat because you are pretty much more resilient to attacks, and can avoid them more easily if need be. If you ask me, they should have put defense boosts (aka resistances) to the Strength stat and the increase in speed and evasion to the DEX stat.

What do you think?
---
I am not a kid, nor a huge fan of anime, so don't ask.
#2AgressiveCampinPosted 2/26/2014 9:54:27 AM
are you a young anime fan
---
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/Warriorj93.png
#3SirRegulusPosted 2/26/2014 9:55:04 AM
I think it's still a little early to be jumping to conclusions. We don't know how effective it is in either area. Hell, the effects of the AGI stat on movement speed were pretty inconclusive in the network test.
#4SolidKnightPosted 2/26/2014 9:57:06 AM(edited)
I doubt it. AGI wasn't even close to being over-powered in the beta. RES was nice but they supposedly toned it down when they merged it with AGI.

It's just too early to declare the stat overpowered when we haven't even seen its full effects much less those effects combined with everything else in the game.
#5Pride17Posted 2/26/2014 9:56:37 AM
AgressiveCampin posted...
#6AnimeKid1089(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 9:57:48 AM
SirRegulus posted...
I think it's still a little early to be jumping to conclusions. We don't know how effective it is in either area. Hell, the effects of the AGI stat on movement speed were pretty inconclusive in the network test.

I don't think you understand what I mean. This Adaptability stat basically makes you tougher to kill, period. It increases BOTH your speed and defenses. We should only be able to have one or the other, at least the DEF buff should belong to the STR stat and Speed buff to the DEX stat. It makes sense to me this way because DEX builds usually rely on roling and moving, while Strength builds tend to rely on being heavily armored and resilient.
---
I am not a kid, nor a huge fan of anime, so don't ask.
#7getsueiPosted 2/26/2014 10:02:24 AM
AnimeKid1089 posted...
SirRegulus posted...

I don't think you understand what I mean. This Adaptability stat basically makes you tougher to kill, period. It increases BOTH your speed and defenses. We should only be able to have one or the other, at least the DEF buff should belong to the STR stat and Speed buff to the DEX stat. It makes sense to me this way because DEX builds usually rely on roling and moving, while Strength builds tend to rely on being heavily armored and resilient.

Your proposition makes no sense or are you relating this to fable's toughness and speed categories. Strength of skill has no relation at all to defense nor dexterity to speed. Dextrous people are not necessarily fast. If I were to put it my way, dextrous people are able to perform actions in a way without getting themselves tied up like jugglers.
As many have said, we don't know how much of an effect , so wait and see
---
3ds fc: 3222-5601-2680 pokemon y: Andre
PSN: Chipmunk_Gaiden
#8The_DarkwalkerPosted 2/26/2014 10:02:24 AM
AnimeKid1089 posted...
I mean, that stat basically improves both your speed and defenses. We will probably see Heavy-Armored players who move faster than the speed of... sorcery light.

It makes it an OP stat because you are pretty much more resilient to attacks, and can avoid them more easily if need be. If you ask me, they should have put defense boosts (aka resistances) to the Strength stat and the increase in speed and evasion to the DEX stat.

What do you think?

Do you know why From decided to do this? Because in the beta they had a dedicated stat for Resistance and there were a ton of videos on YouTube showing players who pumped nothing but that one stat and were taking almost no damage even from bosses like the Skeleton Lord.

They had to do it for balance reasons. Also, no one has any idea of how much one point of Adaptability increases speed or defense. It seems logical that since it increases more than one aspect of a build that it would require pumping more points into it than a stat that only increases one thing.

All in all, I think it's way too premature to call it "stupid" since we know next to nothing about how practical it is. Your fears that people are going to be running around like Sonic in Havel gear seems like a knee-jerk reaction. At least wait for the game to come out so you can play it for yourself rather than try drawing conclusions based on little to no information.
---
Evil always wins because Good is dumb.
#9getsueiPosted 2/26/2014 10:06:32 AM(edited)
The_Darkwalker posted...
AnimeKid1089 posted...

What do you think?

Do you know why From decided to do this? Because in the beta they had a dedicated stat for Resistance and there were a ton of videos on YouTube showing players who pumped nothing but that one stat and were taking almost no damage even from bosses like the Skeleton Lord.

They had to do it for balance reasons. Also, no one has any idea of how much one point of Adaptability increases speed or defense. It seems logical that since it increases more than one aspect of a build that it would require pumping more points into it than a stat that only increases one thing.

All in all, I think it's way too premature to call it "stupid" since we know next to nothing about how practical it is. Your fears that people are going to be running around like Sonic in Havel gear seems like a knee-jerk reaction. At least wait for the game to come out so you can play it for yourself rather than try drawing conclusions based on little to no information.

Another point, if like dark souls how much weight one carries affects the roll type, I doubt adaptability will change a fat roll into a medium roll. My guess is that like shield raising, the stat most likely increases how fast it takes for the animation to start (like reaction speed/timing). Or to put it in another way, the higher the stat, the shorter the delay between pressing the dodge button or shield button and the action taking place
---
3ds fc: 3222-5601-2680 pokemon y: Andre
PSN: Chipmunk_Gaiden
#10Suhn-Sol-JashinPosted 2/26/2014 10:20:17 AM
Pride17 posted...
AgressiveCampin posted...

I'm going to assume he's 24 by the 89 in his name.

Also the fact that his account is 4 years old...
---
PSN ID: Suhn-Sol-Jashin
I am a turtle knight. Fear me.