Offline Covenant Progression

#1AdaventPosted 3/10/2014 5:11:55 AM
In Dark Souls, you had a way to level up in every covenant without going online (you had a way to farm Sunlight Medals, Souvenirs of Reprisal, and so on).

Will this still be possible in Dark Souls 2 ?

Specifically, rumors say that an item given by the Rat Covenant will allow the respawning of depleted enemies.
Will this item be obtainable offline ? Which would allow anyone to farm at their heart's content.
#2Max58201Posted 3/10/2014 5:17:11 AM
from what I have herd no you will not be able to

but at the same time from what I hear you do not need nearly as much of the covenent tokens like in dark souls
---
I just wanted to raise his affection, NOT have him lick my nipples
#3tlnPosted 3/10/2014 5:31:42 AM(edited)
Max58201 posted...
from what I have herd no you will not be able to

but at the same time from what I hear you do not need nearly as much of the covenent tokens like in dark souls

Not according to the wiki. Some covenants require that you kill up to 500 other players in order to reach the max rank and obtain the reward. If those rewards are unique then it's going to be one hell of a grind for the platinum.
#4tlnPosted 3/10/2014 6:10:17 AM
What are training matches and deathmatches?
#5Zombie2626Posted 3/10/2014 7:07:59 AM
Avoiding spoilers but did look at the covenant requirements to level up. Pretty brutal. You aren't going to max out all these covenants unless you put in A LOT of time into pvp.
---
PSN: TMAN2626, Deprived and proud!
"I mock your value system, and you look foolish in the eyes of others."
#6caramel_codPosted 3/10/2014 7:18:03 AM(edited)
tln posted...
What are training matches and deathmatches?

Not really a spoiler, but just being safe:

Training matches are 1v1s against fellow covenant members that can be done at a covenant's shrine. Death matches are arena fights.
#7tlnPosted 3/10/2014 7:29:28 AM
I don't suppose you could do these offline against NPCs somehow?
#8hkfourtysevenPosted 3/10/2014 8:08:17 AM
First of all, if you really have to kill that many people to get max rank, that's ridiculous. Secondly, I'm sure you'll be able to increase the rank offline somehow. They did in Dark Souls and I don't see why they wouldn't do it here. If they didn't, that would essentially be screwing over the people who can't/won't play online.
#9tlnPosted 3/10/2014 8:13:50 AM
I don't see how though. The way you rank up is by killing other players and not by offering an item that can be acquired through other means like in Dark Souls.
#10loseswithluigiPosted 3/10/2014 5:33:43 PM
I got a Sunlight Medal and a token for the Blue Guardians as a random drop. There are no trophies for having unique equipment, but you'll have to play some Bell keepers among other things to get all the spells.