Getting Started: Tips for New Players

#81illidelph22Posted 3/28/2014 7:33:04 AMmessage detail
got it, so based on this info i'll cap str at 40 even if im going to 2-hand something since it doesn't effectively become 60(in terms of damage mod.) like it would in dks1, therefore never giving diminishing returns

that was the best reply i could have hope for btw! you are the man, DuneMan!
#82FritanPosted 3/28/2014 11:53:52 AMmessage detail
illidelph22 posted...
got it, so based on this info i'll cap str at 40 even if im going to 2-hand something since it doesn't effectively become 60(in terms of damage mod.) like it would in dks1, therefore never giving diminishing returns

that was the best reply i could have hope for btw! you are the man, DuneMan!

I haven't tested this yet thoroughly, but I'm not sure capping strength at 40 is a good idea if you are planning on increasing dex for more damage. My claymore has c/c scaling, but in terms of damage I benefit more from increasing str over dex, sometimes even after the strength cap! I think it depends on the weapon, but I'm not sure, so I would recommend that you use a soul vessel to move around the stats until you find out which distribution gives you the most damage. Will do so with my claymore when I play next time, whenever that is.
#83MerlinCrossPosted 3/31/2014 2:12:00 PMmessage detail
I'm surprised no one has said this.

Use your Torches
Seriously I've seen a number of deaths that could have been avoided, if they had a torch. Especially later in the game when it gets darker or in the Shine with all the water. Just light one and see what's around/below you. It's not that hard guys.
#84illidelph22Posted 3/31/2014 6:12:58 PMmessage detail
Nice info Fritan!

I wonder if different scaling rating of quality weapons affect those too. Like if scaling of a/a instead of say c/c will make dex worthwhile or even less worthwhile that all-out str. Quality builds are sure confusing this time around! And now with addition of mundane... Makes me wish Crushing was in this game!

I found this relevant too:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20qjf2/guide_weapon_scaling/

Seems like dex scales at 60% of str or so, this probably ties in to your claymore tests as well.

Hmmm this got me thinking about more of a str/int or /fai builds for quality weps instead of dex in this game, since all of quality weps are great for spell-buffing (not to mention single-handing a quality weapon and having a nice range spell option for off-hand and magic)
OR maybe all of the dex points should go into end/vit/adp since there are so many stats to invest in these days. Could even be a lower level pvp build with just str, since the ~120 cap will probably go up now too...

Knew I shouldn't of started with a bandit... oh well at least there is still that grossly incandescent sun of ours to praise! \[T]/
#85rainwolf40Posted 3/31/2014 8:50:17 PMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#86attendingPosted 4/1/2014 2:12:47 PMmessage detail
I would like to think I have some game experience; but I am so frustrated with II and cannot seem to do anything but 'die'. is anyone having similar problems? any advice with combat would be appreciated and welcome. does attacking from behind actually offer any benefit? is there any help other than the kind of tutorial level?
#87normalguycapPosted 4/1/2014 3:15:31 PMmessage detail
I know what you mean 'attending'. The game forces you to play in certain ways to progress. It has far less freedom then it would have you think. The difficulty is in trial and error learning and some piss poor hitboxes. The only way to really progress is to always be careful or know what is coming and prepare for it. The game forces dying as a part of it's mechanics, so try not to feel too bad about it.

The game intentionally doesn't tell the player much about how to play it which is a very questionable practice giving how much content is hidden and everything you do is permanent to your character. Go to the wiki for help and to learn about what items are in the level you wish to attempt or how to find good secret equipment.

When entering a new area, allow yourself to be summoned a few times first to learn the layout and enemy placement of the upcoming level. This also allows you to test what equipment you have that works best and you get souls for increasing your power.

Ranged fighting is always best. Your enemies are stronger and faster than you. They are not limited by a stamina bar. Everything is stacked against you unfairly, so it's best to bring phantoms and level one attribute quickly to get strong in some way. Poison is effective from a distance if you have patience. More health always helps because then you are a bit free-er to make mistakes, run away and heal, than suffer through another death and more time wasted. Don't F around with jumps. Be extremely careful with those because this game requires precision and foresight.

Attacking from behind is better most of the time because you can do backstab attacks on certain enemies if you are in the right place. That starting Dagger is the best damaging backattack in the game. Sometimes those type of attacks are finicky with their placement though. At the very least, attacking from behind forces the enemy to turn towards you, giving you precious time to attack more before they can wind up theirs.

Final tip. Always carry a shield. I defy anyone to get through this game with no shield. Rolling can't save you all the time especially since it's a pretty crappy roll until you trial and error your way through attacks.
#88normalguycapPosted 4/1/2014 3:18:52 PMmessage detail
Oh yeah, and never mash. You can only hit enemies once or twice before having to dodge. Always be cautious and never be greedy when attacking. Stick under 70% equipment load so you have your roll available. Anything over and it becomes terrible.
#89DuneMan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2014 3:54:18 PMmessage detail
attending posted...
I would like to think I have some game experience; but I am so frustrated with II and cannot seem to do anything but 'die'. is anyone having similar problems? any advice with combat would be appreciated and welcome. does attacking from behind actually offer any benefit? is there any help other than the kind of tutorial level?

A few general tips:
- Dealing high Poise damage in PVE can make all the difference in the world, so try Strike weapons or get the Stone Ring from Things Betwixt and keep it on
- Depending on your Strength level, try a shield with solid physical resistance, the earliest examples in ascending order being Blue Wooden Shield, Silver Eagle Kite Shield, and Drangleic Shield
- Speaking of shields, try a leaping L2/R2 to knock most human-sized enemies on their asses, it's a new move that is still somewhat unknown yet highly effective
- When it comes to enemy attacks in this game most will track you horizontally during windup until momentum is put behind the swing, so try baiting attacks or learning which attacks can be strafed safely at close range
- If possible, try using any form of ranged attack to soften up targets to pull them individually; this game loves throwing group encounters at you and they can be among the most dangerous(to the point where I personally find it lazy design both in sheer repetition in stages and to make boss fights 'harder')
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#90FritanPosted 4/2/2014 5:11:39 AMmessage detail
attending posted...

I would say that a good weapon is more important than a good shield, even if both are vital. A good shield might keep you alive during encounters longer, but a good weapon will help you avoid bad encounters more easily. It can really be the difference between a series of 1v1 and an unwinnable 3v1 or worse.

I started with a deprived character and the game really changed when I ditched the dagger for a shortsword I found, and even more so when I found a bastard sword I immediately upgraded.

How far are you into the game and what weapon do you have?