Magic is awesome in Dark Souls 2

#1Chanseyfan353Posted 3/14/2014 12:34:44 AM
Just for a change of pace. I have seen a lot of threads talking about how magic is weak now, but I am enjoying it far more than in Demons souls or Dark Souls 1.

I am building a general mage character, rather than sorceror/pyromancer/cleric. I am making use of all 4 schools of magic so that I am ready for any monster regardless of weakness/resistance.

I started off by getting 10 Strength. I am not the best at dodging, so I needed to be able to equip a somewhat decent shield. I went for the Iron Parma. I later replaced that with the Large Leather Shield, which only has a 7 STR requirement, but whatever.

Felkin will give you the hex armor set, which is far better than the starting robes and much lighter. It seems you have to have a certain amount of faith or intelligence or both for him to give it to you.

I am leveling my INT/FAI/ATT in a 2/2/1 Ratio. At least until I get both intelligence and faith to 40.

I have found this build to be very fun and effective so far. My experiences with each branch of magic is below.

So far, miracles seem the most powerful for regular monster clearing. Lightning spear is very strong and flies extremely fast so it is good against nimble enemies and in PVP.

Hexes are a close second, but that is with the Sunset Staff which scales for hexes very well, but requires twinkling titanite to reinforce. In PVP and bosses, the Great Resonant Soul spell is extremely useful.

Sorcery is a distant third, with Great Heavy Soul Arrow doing about the same damage as dark orb. 4th rank sorcery = 1st rank hex, is not so good. Once I find homing missiles and spear spells, I think it will make a comeback.

Pyromancy is the weakest so far, but that is because I have not found any additional spells or the item required to reinforce my hand yet. Considering how badly I have been owned by pyromancers in PVP, I have high hopes for it.

In previous games, It was basically spam soul arrows until you got spears, then spam spears until game over. Now a multifunctional mage build seems more effective than it did in previous games. I don't even feel the need to carry a melee weapon just in case, which I always felt was necessary in the other games. In Dark souls, by the end of the game, I was just using the moonlight great sword, because spamming soul spear became tedious.

The only bosses that I have had trouble with so far is the three sentinels. It took me probably 15 tries to beat them. But that was more because, as I said earlier, I am bad at dodging and that fight lasts a while so there are many chances to mess up. Strangely the gargoyles were not difficult despite them piling up to 4 at once. I beat them first try, go figure.

Just my 2 cents. Putting it out there that not everyone sees magic as useless now.
---
3ds FC: 5086-1644-7653.
Name: Solomon
#2TakuruPosted 3/14/2014 12:36:28 AM
I can't speak for hexes or miracles.

Magic is horrible though. It's been nerfed hard.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Tib8ohc.jpg http://i.imgur.com/sGFlGWW.jpg
#3Leventhan26Posted 3/14/2014 12:44:01 AM
Magic is far from useless, I think most people probably don't upgrade their staff much because they think a good staff won't be too far in, it also is a problem that you don't get any good spells for quite some time and even some of the hardest hitting spells like soul spear don't hit that much harder and have few uses. This isn't helped by the fact that quite a few spells are all but useless like soul barrage and that soul spells that rains from the sky.

Also there are a lot of enemies this time around that are very resistant to magic and pyro(not sure about lightning), this was probably to make hexes better in pve.
#4CrevoxPosted 3/14/2014 12:45:48 AM(edited)
Magic is amazing. If you're not doing well with it, you're doing it wrong.

I'm just about to finish the game and was pretty much a pure caster all the way through. My weapon is a dagger.

But, by all means.. continue to think it sucks. I'll kill more people in PVP that way (as I've killed every single invader thus far).
#5IronknuckleMMPosted 3/14/2014 12:49:48 AM
Crevox posted...

I'm just about to finish the game and was pretty much a pure caster all the way through. My weapon is a dagger.
But, by all means.. continue to think it sucks. I'll kill more people in PVP that way (as I've killed every single invader thus far).

Since you think you have it all figured out, be a good sport and explain just how a soul spear that does 360 or so damage is not completely outperformed.
---
3DS FC: 4382-3126-2558
Gamertag: StalfoLordMM PSN: Stalfo_Lord
#6CrevoxPosted 3/14/2014 12:51:48 AM(edited)
IronknuckleMM posted...
Crevox posted...

Since you think you have it all figured out, be a good sport and explain just how a soul spear that does 360 or so damage is not completely outperformed.

360 damage? It should not be doing 360, that's for sure. My crystal soul spear has done 1800 damage. My soul geyser hits for over 2k on bosses.

Magic hurts. A lot. It completely destroys things. I two shot the giant knights in Dragon Shrine (1 if I use my Soul Geyser).
#7IronknuckleMMPosted 3/14/2014 12:52:55 AM
Like I've said before, on normal enemies in the Iron Keep, it takes 3 GHSA, or BOTH Soul Spears to kill one. So what is it you are apparently doing that is giving you such a difference in damage?
---
3DS FC: 4382-3126-2558
Gamertag: StalfoLordMM PSN: Stalfo_Lord
#8Leventhan26Posted 3/14/2014 12:55:13 AM
IronknuckleMM posted...
Like I've said before, on normal enemies in the Iron Keep, it takes 3 GHSA, or BOTH Soul Spears to kill one. So what is it you are apparently doing that is giving you such a difference in damage?

What staff and upgrades do you have and your int?
#9Chanseyfan353(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2014 12:55:41 AM
I do wonder if some people who think magic was nerfed are unaware that you now have to reinforce your catalysts to make your spells effective. I am sure not everyone who has a grievance has made that error, but it could be a possibility. I did not realize I could reinforce it until after the first boss.

I felt very weak early on, but it was balanced by being able to fight at range. It got a bit better when I bought an extra copy of the first spell from Melentia. I also had to burn through a few spell restoration items in the early stages. You just have to stick with it. I am sure melees have their own challenges.
---
3ds FC: 5086-1644-7653.
Name: Solomon
#10dacaiPosted 3/14/2014 12:56:29 AM(edited)
For one he used a crystal souls spear. Other than that perhaps an int issue (stat not player)