Boss souls use for souls? Or perhaps... (Spoilers)

#1Smokay310Posted 3/19/2014 6:15:02 AM
I put a Spoiler warning cause I'm going to reveal what the souls can be turned into and the exact numbers to souls you get so if you're doing a blind run and haven't gotten here yet stop reading.

So I've been saving the Souls of bosses because they can be traded to a merchant to acquire boss weapons. However after seeing the weapons and price I'm not sure if I should go for souls or weapons.

Maybe I'm only looking at stats but the weapons don't seem to be all that powerful. There are a few of them that are good but even the good ones are outclassed by other weapons. For example: Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword 156 damage 18 weight. Compared to Drangleic Sword which does 186 damage only 9 weight and higher durability. Plus you get the Drangleic Sword pretty early and it's not even Ultra. For Pursuer's ultra GS it seems to be the weaker of the other Ultras.

Plus you still have to pay souls for the boss weapons. Most of them are greatswords and in comparison to the Murakumo (Curved GS) they're rather weak. Or the souls can be used to acquire large amounts of souls. I think Pursuer's Soul gives 8,000. Last Giant is 6,000. And Dragonrider is 6,000 souls but he actually has decent stuff, like his shield and bow.

So has anyone used boss weapons? If so are they any good?
---
Didn't have to smack a troll on the forums... today was a good day.
#2TracinyaPosted 3/19/2014 6:17:57 AM
Don't boss souls weapons scale much better?
#3Tec187Posted 3/19/2014 6:19:06 AM
All boos weapons have "effects" that you don't see. The merchants also tell you this when you first meet them.

"Wielding them requires skill, but once mastered they can be very powerful" or something to that effect.
Weather or not they are worth it, is entirely up to you i suppose.

A lot of people tend to think that the only one worth it is the bow.
But maybe we just don't know enough about them yet.
---
I'm getting too old for this sheet
~ "I don't need luck, I have ammo" ~ Grunt, ME3
#4detrimental13Posted 3/19/2014 6:19:32 AM
IIRC, you only have to pay 1500 souls per weapon. I'm not sure if any of them are useful, but if you ever went back and decided you did want that weapon, you'd have to NG+ or use a bonfire ascetic. I think it's worth it to just get the boss weapons and keep them in your item box, just in case.
#5Tec187Posted 3/19/2014 6:20:30 AM
detrimental13 posted...
IIRC, you only have to pay 1500 souls per weapon. I'm not sure if any of them are useful, but if you ever went back and decided you did want that weapon, you'd have to NG+ or use a bonfire ascetic. I think it's worth it to just get the boss weapons and keep them in your item box, just in case.

True, but with every boss soul being used for around 3 different things, thats at LEAST 3 playthroughs to get them all :)
---
I'm getting too old for this sheet
~ "I don't need luck, I have ammo" ~ Grunt, ME3
#6shadowsofdawnPosted 3/19/2014 6:23:47 AM
Honestly I wouldn't use a boss soul until you had already acquired all of the available weapons/shields/spells you can get with it and know for certain you don't want to use them on your current build.
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||
#7gEiStToGPosted 3/19/2014 6:25:27 AM
shadowsofdawn posted...
Honestly I wouldn't use a boss soul until you had already acquired all of the available weapons/shields/spells you can get with it and know for certain you don't want to use them on your current build.

I'd even then save for subsequent playthroughs so you will have 5 then 10 then 15....etc etc
---
\[T]/ Praise the F out of that Sun! PS3 ID/Xbone ID: gEiStToG
.(#)
#8Smokay310(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 8:31:14 PM
Thanks I didn't see that, they scale really well. Some scale to be pretty powerful early but most of them take some time and rare items to upgrade though. But yeah they do have some mystical appeal to them that weapons don't, even though wiki and websites say SpecialAbility: No it seems players are saying they do have special traits that other weapons don't have. I guess they even out back to the question of level up or buy better weapons/gear. I'm such an indecisive person lol.
---
Didn't have to smack a troll on the forums... today was a good day.