Dragon shrine's madness

#11none_givenPosted 3/21/2014 3:19:10 PM
Akazora posted...

Some people like to do it legit as part of the challenge, of how it was intended to be done. If you wouldn't run around one-shotting bosses with pre-nerf homing crystal soul mass in DkS, why would you use poison arrows?

You're the greatest guy there is.
#12sithamor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 3:23:03 PM
Poison throwing knives indeed would be better than using a bow, the problem is I have exhausted all of mine, I can't find gavlan anywhere... I think only him sells them but I'm not sure... And I can't seem to recall an ennemy that drops them... or maybe the hollows before the black gulch... will have to try that as a last resort I guess
#13AkazoraPosted 3/21/2014 3:24:34 PM
Gavlan moves to the first cave behind the dark orb tossing giant in the poison area of harvest valley by the first bonfire, then he moves to the start of the path up to Brightstone in Pharros. Don't remember if he sells infinite poison knives there though, just that he sells infinite poison arrows.
#14OmniNakagoPosted 3/21/2014 3:25:06 PM
Akazora posted...
Some people like to do it legit as part of the challenge, of how it was intended to be done. If you wouldn't run around one-shotting bosses with pre-nerf homing crystal soul mass in DkS, why would you use poison arrows?

Game Police is on the scene.
---
"God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh." -Voltaire
steamcommunity.com/id/nepenthes / twitter.com/epolsen
#15sithamor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 3:27:42 PM
Ok thank you I will try to locate him... I met him at no man's wharf and harvest valley but not in pharos so I will see... but I will try to do this pure melee before... thanks for the nice advises everyone. it's cool to see people that are not condescending...
#16lafoftophPosted 3/21/2014 3:38:18 PM
The big knights seem to be weak to fire. You can also just run past everything to go talk to the dragon.
#17clustercannon09Posted 3/21/2014 3:46:06 PM
THEY ARE EXTREMELY WEAK TO FIRE. Take out a bow, fire arrows or bring a fire weapon, and one enemy at a time. Lure them out to small spaces so you only fight 1 each time. As for the big staircase, go to either side after the first staircase, fight 1 of them there, then kill the other 1. This area is not so hard really, just time consuming. I never,, not once, died or used more than 3 estus to get through dragon aerie and dragon shrine. Although it took me an hour and a half or 2 to finish it while collecting everything. Take your time people, and exploit weaknesses.
---
I'm no hero, never was, never will be.
#18PureNothingnessPosted 3/21/2014 3:52:10 PM(edited)
For the hammer guys, it's a risky strategy, but their shields can't block damage for crap. I routinely go to town on them with a Scimitar +10, and while their shields are raised I'm dealing around 180 damage while forcing them into permanent blockstun. With a slower weapon, odds are you won't be able to put them into that kind of blockstun, but it's still good to know for pure melee builds.

This strategy also works on the greatsword and mace knights when they're blocking, but not the sword knights--a small/medium weapon will just bounce off their shields without doing much.
---
"Even a stray has pride." -Gabranth, Final Fantasy XII
PSN: Mysteltain
#19Alpr1010Posted 3/21/2014 3:53:52 PM
I had a lot of trouble with it too as a melee build. A melee fighter sacrifices everything else for survivalability, and this place makes you as squishy as a mage, so I eventually gave up. Fighting those enemies were all a complete chore.

I restarted with a mage, didn't feel like continuing on my melee guy.
#20sithamor(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 4:10:36 PM
An idea just came to my mind... if I remove half of their health with one heavy attack of the great club, maybe I can one shot them by doing a power attack while dual wielding... I've got another great hammer fully upgraded so that could work... don't know if I meet the recquirements to do the power stance on these things though, never tried dual wielding before