Dark Souls 2 Lore and Story Compelation (Spoilers)

#1AydooPosted 3/21/2014 8:16:56 PM
Since a lot of people keep posting about the story I'm going to attempt to type out a clear picture of everything. Sources will be listed in Italics, and only information from the game's dialogue, item descriptions, or the official guide will be used. I'll use GB then the page number for this. The official guide is to be taken as canon as the writers (confirmed by ENB) actually had access to From's lore files. Here we go:

Locations

The game centers around your trip to the land of Drangleic. Note that this land is actually seperated from an entire world/dimension by a rift which you pass through to get to the Thiings Betwixt. (GB34)
Your main hub is an abandoned hamlet known as Majula.

On your way to Drangleic you pass through the ruined provinces of Tseldora, Heide, Venn, Alken, and Aldia. Drangleic encompasses these places into its kingdom.

Other places mentioned but not seen are Jugo; which is to the Far East and near a Desert (Desert Sorc item description as well as Jugo's Dialogue), Lindelt, home of many Miracles/Clerics, and the Monsatery/Painting Protector set; Forossa, home of Vengarl and the Lion Knights who worshiped the war god Faraam; Melfia, home of modern Sorcery and a Magic Academy; Lanafir, a merchant town farthest to the South (Traveling Merchant Hat); Volgen which is mentioned as full of scandal, corruption, and merchants (Avelyn Ring of Prayer); and Mirrah home of a knightly order and which is also to the East. (Creighton's Steel Mask)

Drangleic is in the South,a nd is known for bradden steel and alloy that was created while trying to copy the Heide's metallurgy. (Elite Knight Helm,) Mountains surround Drangleic on three sides. (Brigand Hood) To the North is a sea and further north is a continent "said to be the home of things inhuman." (Varangian Armor) Majula is also situated on the Northern coast.(GB42) The Bastille is on an island off the coast (GB87) and was known as Olaphis (Straid Dialogue) as well as Venn (Belfry Luna Bell Keep Covenant) at one time. The Old Iron King's Castle, Huntsman's Copse Harvest Valley, and Earthen Peak sit where Alken used to reside. (Belfry Sol Bell Keep Covenant) Aldia is named after Vendrick's brother, and they both founded Drangleic, (GB418)

Deities
Lots of new Deities are mentioned through out the game:

Zinder god of desire (Covetous Gold Serpent Ring)
Zandroe god of greed (Covetous Silver Serpent Ring)
Kremmel god of struggle (Ring of Thorns)
Caitha goddess of tears (Blue/Red Tearstone Rings)
Quella god of dreams (Spirit Tree Shield)
Faraam god of war (Faraam Set)
Evlana the not goddess of hunt (Hunter's Blackbow)
Nahr Alma god of blood (Tichy Gren, GB421)

Dieties hinted at but not explicitly mentioned

All Father Loyd (Loyd's Talismans)
Lord of Sunlight Gwyn (Sunlight Blade)
Sunbro Son of Gwyn (Sunbro Covenant)
Velka Goddess of Sin (Pardoner Set)
#2Aydoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 9:06:15 PM(edited)
The Lord Souls

The 5 Great Lord Souls once again show up in Dark Souls 2. Their connection and use are listed here.

The Witch of Izalith's Soul

Held by the Lost Sinner of Sinner's Rise under the Lost Bastille.
The Lost Sinner eternally punishes herself for the sins of her past. Indeed, she committed what some would believe to be the ultimate sin - she attempted to relight the First Flame.

"The Lost sinner possesses the Soul of a Great One; she holds the remnants of the Soul of the Old Witch of Izalith. Eons have passed since the legendary Witch walked the land, but such was her power that it persists even now."

Straid mentions the Witch as a legend who "harnessed the power of flame and melded it into Pyromancy, then led her daughters into war against the Old Ones."
(GB234, Old Witch Soul, Straid Dialogue,)

Speculation: Personally I think the Sinner could be Quelana the last living and non cursed daughter of Izalith. Quelana was long lived and had many students over the years.

Lord Soul of Gravelord Nito

This Lord soul is held by the being known as the Rotten. The Rotten embraces all, in his sanctuary for all things unwante dor tossed away, (Soul of the Rotten) The Rotten is a " patchwork entity born from an amalgamation of lost souls and withered bodies they inhabited" (GB167) He is similar in the way that Nito was an amalgamation of skeletons rather than flesh.

Its interesting to note that the Melfanito and Fenito races are both immortal undead beings that were created by Gravelord NIto at some undisclosed time. (Agdayne and Melfanito Dialogue)

Lord of Sunlight Gwyn's Lord Soul

The Old Iron King held this soul.
"A powerful but short-sighted king who exalted the virtue of might, the Old Iron King has been transformed into a demon. As his flesh burned away, his soul was possessed by the wicked things that lurk below. He possesses the soul of an ancient king from long ago - a king who met with a similar fate when he reached into the flames."
(GB184)
The Old Iron King was mining Iron in Harvest Valley and built his castle from it. It was supposedly so heavy that it sunk into the land. (Marigold Dialogue) This act caused a mass of iron to come to life in the form of the Smelter Demon which flooded the castle with Lava and killed the Old Iron King. (GB181) The King's body was destroyed but his soul was possessed by demon's and he became the giant form you fight. (Old Iron King Soul)
The Baneful Queen Myrtha was in love with the Old Iron King and transformed herself into a demon with poison while seeking eternal youth and beauty. (Baneful Queen Soul) The Covetous Demon was a man once in love with Myrtha but was turned into a demon some how. (Covetous Demon Soul)

Speculation: There seems to be a strong indication that Myrtha is the Princess of Venn and that the Covetous Demon is the Prince of Alkin. This would mean that there was a tragic love triangle between the Old Iron King, Myrtha, and Alkin and would account for the emnity between the city states with the bells. There is also mention that both Alkin and Venn were founded by one man; which could very well have been the Old Iron king, and the Prince of Alkin could have been his heir.
#3Aydoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 9:48:03 PM(edited)
The Paledrake Soul / Seath's Part of Gwyn's Lord Soul

This great soul is owned by the giant spider creature Freja, the pet of Duke Tseldora.(GB222, 225, Freja's Soul) Duke Tseldora founded a mining town in the South-Eastern Mountains for the main Drangleic. The area was mysteriously over run with parasitic spiders and the peasants hollowed. (GB211, Peasant Set)

There's a vague link that the Scorpion people Najka and Tark may have been created by Seath at some point in the past. Najka being a "fragile soul created long ago by an ancient being in the throes of madness." Tark is called "a twisted experiment in an age long past." (GB 197, 415, Najka Soul)

Speculation: There's not all that much information on Freja itself, but it seems that Tseldora may have had Seath's soul in an attempt to stave off the undead curse but some how gave it to his pet spider that mutated into the Freja we know of today. This would also account for Tseldora going hollow.

The Dark Soul / Manus Lord of Darkness and Abyss, Primeaval Man/ The Furtive Pygmy

Now to the good stuff. This Soul is owned and IS the Queen of Dragleic Nashandra. (Equipment of Want)

Nashandra showed up one day and entranced Vendrick. She was

a woman of mysterious origin who appeared at Drangleic Castle claiming to have ventured there from a foreign land. She bore a warning for King Vendrick of a looming threat beyond his borders and urged him to take action; after mobilizing the kingdom's army the King took Nashandra's hand in marriage."
(GB418)

"She Convinced Vendrick to cross the sea and pilfer a might prize from the Giants. She brought a Dark-like peace to the Kingdom of Drangleic, but eventually Vendrick Realized something was amiss. He fled and refused to take part in Nashandra's plans any longer."
(GB304, Emerald Maiden Dialogue, Nashandra's Soul)

After some inordinate amount of time the Giants counter invade Drangleic which leads to its current state of ruin besides the passage of time, to reclaim the "prize" that Vendrick stole years before. (GB418, Drummond Dialogue)

Captain Drummond, his men and an unnamed hero (see player; yay time travel) took part in the battle and defeated the king of the Giants ending the war. (GB417)

Speculation and Clarification:
Its assumed that Vendrick traveled to Drangleic and stole the Lord Vessel which happened to also contain the Lord Souls due to the events of Dark Souls 1. This would explain why Vendrick was able to pass the souls on to those in his domain.

Lastly lets talk about:
Emerald Maiden: Shanalotte

Shanalotte is the fourth sister and last of the bonfire keepers.(Milibeth Dialogue, Navlaan Dialogue) She was born of the Ancient Dragon, given a name, to help set the land free. (Shanalotte Dialogue) Its possible that the land of Drangleic is cut off from the world due to her power, as the aged feather mentions:
"The child of the dragon, sequestered away from the world, imagined a world of boundless possibilities from the mere sight of a feather."

This would explain why the other three sisters are those who greet you when you first enter Drangleic, and why she guides you on your way.

I hope this helps everyone get a clearer picture of the world of DkS2.
#4justinjwl1Posted 3/21/2014 9:09:29 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5Aydoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 9:55:54 PM
Alright its finished. Thanks for giving me time to type it out before everyone posted :> I wish there was more concrete evidence but From soft went a bit light on the lore this time. They also took a path to try and ignore most of the lore from the first game and distance itself from it except for a few key details.

My favorite speculation at the moment is that Drangleic is not Lordran as I see many people try to put together. The Elite Knight Set was a famous armor set from Astora which was said to be in the south of Lordran. Drangleic is now famous for making that set out of bradden steel. This correlates well to the relative positions and the plot of the game. It could also explain why there is a sunbro shrine in Drangleic if you follow the line of thought that Solaire of Astora is the first born son of Gwyn.
#6Dooroofoo1Posted 3/21/2014 10:40:08 PM
Aydoo posted...

My favorite speculation at the moment is that Drangleic is not Lordran as I see many people try to put together. The Elite Knight Set was a famous armor set from Astora which was said to be in the south of Lordran. Drangleic is now famous for making that set out of bradden steel. This correlates well to the relative positions and the plot of the game. It could also explain why there is a sunbro shrine in Drangleic if you follow the line of thought that Solaire of Astora is the first born son of Gwyn.

This. I could totally see drangleic being astora. Especially since solaire was a pretty big part and everyone liked him
#7YoozayPosted 3/21/2014 10:41:13 PM
Awesome thread, definitely fell under the radar. I had a good read, and although I already knew a lot of this, it was a good read. It was definitely arranged in a clean and precise way, I'm not much of a theorist myself when it comes to the lore, because when I see something as it's stated I can't really interpenetrate it any other way. Kinda sucks, not that i'm unimaginative but, I like to keep the stories as they are.
---
PSN: ManeaterMiIdred
#8Pirateking2000Posted 3/21/2014 10:52:56 PM
I thought the fourth sister was the one you met in the opening cutscene?
---
XBL GT: Demon Ninja X2
"There comes a time in every man's or woman's life where they have to make **** up to cover their ass." - Hazama
#9Aydoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 10:56:31 PM
Pirateking2000 posted...

Yes, thats Shanalotte, whom is also the Emerald Herald. She disguised herself to lure you to Drangleic.
#10YoozayPosted 3/21/2014 10:59:25 PM(edited)
Aydoo posted...
Pirateking2000 posted...

Yes, thats Shanalotte, whom is also the Emerald Herald. She disguised herself to lure you to Drangleic.

Welp, that's disgusting... (rule34 I mean) Ahem...
---
PSN: ManeaterMiIdred