The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Starting tips for Hexer build/weapons?

#1StryfeRavesPosted 3/26/2014 10:54:37 PM
This is gonna be my first run through DS2 and I wanna play as a hexer, my starting class is a cleric and I was wondering if theres any leveling builds that would be good to follow or any weapons/armor i should try to get/be using
#2sajoir2Posted 3/26/2014 10:57:53 PM
Hex need both Int and Fth.

Fire scales with both Int/Fth

There is a really nice sword in the beginning of the game in Forest of the Giants called Fire Longsword. You will want that sword for early game.

you will need 6/6 Int/Fth to talk to guy who sales Hexes. if you have 20/20 you will get a very good set and staff for casting Hexes.
---
IGN: Adrian: 3ds Friend Code: 1435-4826-3082
Friend Safari: Fairy: Togepi, Jigglypuff, Floette.
#3ZubatggPosted 3/26/2014 10:58:19 PM
You need to get the fire long sword. It is super early in a door just before the flamy shooting lizard.
---
Love me - Zubatgg
#4the_NGWPosted 3/26/2014 11:02:10 PM
Are you looking to go pure hexer or do you want to be able to rock some solid weapons and armor?

I started with a 40/40 quality build and after hitting the postgame, prior to moving to NG+, I respec'd myself into a 30/30/30/30 hexblade. I get, more or less, the same damage I was getting out of my quality build on my primary weapon (Curved Dragon Greatsword), but with the added benefit of Resonant Weapon to up the damage to ludicrous levels, and spells like Great Resonant Soul, which can pretty much two-shot people in PvP and does some real work against bosses in PvE. Dark Orb is pretty solid too, and has a ton of casts, and it is quite easy to acquire multiples.

Generally though, regardless of what build you go for, 30/30 on Int/Fth is pretty much the standard as that is where the dark scaling caps off, anything after that just depends on if you want sorcery type hexes or miracle type.

As far as what kinda equipment, the Sunset Staff is pretty much the best for hexes, especially if you give it a dark infusion. Caitha's Chime is really really good as well for hexes that require a chime.

This thread here is pretty much hexer central, tons of great tips and strats and discussion: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68803370
---
"Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"
Dark Souls II Brodent [||], PSN: ourtheNGW
#5the_onoPosted 3/26/2014 11:03:13 PM
fire sword is good until you get the: magic mace. i leveled that to +10 and it is a beast.

need to consistently level FTH + INT for a solid build.

dark magic/hexes can be very powerful, it is namely the only magic i use.

LVL 203 mage 58 FTH/58 INT
#6the_onoPosted 3/26/2014 11:07:27 PM
so far as infusing the sunset staff (which is my staff of choice) with dark damage, it is a tradeoff, really. this for that. you can slightly increase your dark dmg by a few points and a few percent, while at the same time reducing your normal magic damage.

i kept mine UN-infused and have done just fine.

and to whomever mentioned Great Resonant Soul, that is my go-to spell in PVP and invasions - can definitely 2-shot someone with it.
#7MCC1701Posted 3/26/2014 11:09:13 PM
If you want to have some melee in there go ahead and grab the fire sword. If you want to be a REAL caster without weapons and such, it is more than viable and really fun. I reccomend a sorc, and just never improve str, dex, adp, or vit. Your spell hit hard from the start and you soon can buy more soon after.

This coming from a 50 int/fth and 40 atn LDL 150 sorc who is 1-shoting people with his dragon sign right now
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#8JitawaPosted 3/26/2014 11:09:36 PM
Hexers are demanding because you have to level Faith, Int, and Attunement. Many hexes are multi-slot as well, which means you can't skimp on attunement and be viable as a "hexer-only". You might want to pick a weapon relatively close to your starting stats to "main" so you don't waste a lot of points in STR/DEX.

The Hexing gear you receive from the initial hexing instructor upon getting INT and Faith to 20 could actually carry you through the game if you wanted, it's very good stuff. The headpiece increases available casts. The miracle instructor also has a decent armor set with a headpiece with the same effect (for getting faith to 30 in her case). The hexer's set will give you a staff, the miracle set gets you a chime that's alright.

In either case, the fastest route to hexes would be Dragonrider to unlock Licia, then have her open the Huntsman Copse, and talk to the merchant at the start there. With a cleric, you'd need to level your INT to 8 before he'll speak to you though.

With a cleric, you can equip some decent shields and things like maces with practically no investment. Save the rest of those souls for the ton of investment elsewhere in your stats.
#9the_NGWPosted 3/26/2014 11:10:50 PM
the_ono posted...
so far as infusing the sunset staff (which is my staff of choice) with dark damage, it is a tradeoff, really. this for that. you can slightly increase your dark dmg by a few points and a few percent, while at the same time reducing your normal magic damage.

i kept mine UN-infused and have done just fine.

Ah yeah, should have specified. If you do have plans to use standard magic/sorceries then either leave it uninfused or have a second (I know you can get at least two in a playthrough) for them instead.

the_ono posted...
and to whomever mentioned Great Resonant Soul, that is my go-to spell in PVP and invasions - can definitely 2-shot someone with it.

Feels damn good too hahaha. And the soul investment per cast is so minimal in the long run that I was getting more souls off of killing things with it than I was spending casting it.
---
"Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"
Dark Souls II Brodent [||], PSN: ourtheNGW