The roll delay and shield raise delay get me killed more than anything

#1Cvdf3Posted 4/4/2014 4:47:28 PM
why did they implement these... Adp does not change either, at all. I have two characters currently, one with 33 Adp and one with 9 (base Sorcerer). They are glaringly present across the board...
---
http://tinyurl.com/k8terec
#2Pyth_the_BullPosted 4/4/2014 4:48:59 PM
Only 33 Adaptability?

99 or gtfo.
---
"Their hopes dashed on our shields! Their victory slashed by our swords!"
#3Vengeance_JoePosted 4/4/2014 4:49:11 PM
Sometimes I hold down the circle button and it doesn't register until a second later. Imagine my frustration killing ancient dragon.

I think it's the game because I don't experience this problem in DS1.
---
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2667/u5914d.jpg
#4Cvdf3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2014 4:59:26 PM(edited)
Vengeance_Joe posted...
Sometimes I hold down the circle button and it doesn't register until a second later. Imagine my frustration killing ancient dragon.

I think it's the game because I don't experience this problem in DS1.

It is definitely the game.. it seriously makes the game zero fun to play. It doesn't feel responsive at all, which is one reason the series was able to be so punishing before; because it was your fault if you died...
---
#5Giant_DadPosted 4/4/2014 5:03:18 PM
delayed actions is where is at.
imagine if you roll and you want to switch weapons, so you press [right] during the roll (like it was before)...

but now it's different, if you press [right] too early, when you finish the roll nothing will happen.
You must wait until you're almost out of the roll.

the same applies for nearly every action.

if you roll and try to do a backward slash, it only works with a delayed timing. otherwise your character will swing to a side.

and to Vengeance_Joe : if you deplete your stamina entirely, you'll have to wait a while before you're able to run again.

hope this helps.
#6Cvdf3(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2014 5:11:31 PM
Giant_Dad posted...
delayed actions is where is at.
imagine if you roll and you want to switch weapons, so you press [right] during the roll (like it was before)...

but now it's different, if you press [right] too early, when you finish the roll nothing will happen.
You must wait until you're almost out of the roll.

the same applies for nearly every action.

if you roll and try to do a backward slash, it only works with a delayed timing. otherwise your character will swing to a side.

and to Vengeance_Joe : if you deplete your stamina entirely, you'll have to wait a while before you're able to run again.

hope this helps.

I'm aware, I hate it. The being unable to queue weapons switches (d-pad) I don't mind but being unable to time rolls or block after attacking is awful.

Yes, it sounds like a good way to make the combat feel more methodical and strategic making players weigh their options but it doesn't.

Enemies have too many attacks with too many variances in attacks to be able to pre plan your actions past the very basics. Instead the enemies require more a reactionary playstyle but the game punishes you for doing so.

Ex
the stone soldiers in Drangleic Castle recover from being attacked faster than you recover from attacking (logic...) and have a 3 hit combo that does about 900-ish dmg on NG. It is not until the fourth hit when you can roll or block any damage...

So instead of fighting them you are better off cheesing a backstab...
---
#7Giant_DadPosted 4/5/2014 7:21:33 AM
Cvdf3 posted...

I get your point. It's valid and ok if you don't like it.
Yes, things will destroy you. Really the only solution is playing extra careful, staying out of range. Usually they have one move with longer recovery.

I felt the slugginess only at the start. For some reason, the start and those cyclops were the hardest. Not sure about Adaptability yet, but I'm leaning for "It does something". I felt after I level it up that I had the groove back and haven't had further control issues.
And personally, I don't mind about using backstab, cause look at my name! If it's in the game, use it.
#8SykostuffPosted 4/5/2014 7:31:00 AM
Both the first game and this one have input delays, but with the more heavy feel and less iframes it is more obvious in this one. High agility helps by cutting down recovery time between actions.
---
Hey look at this sig and how cool and important it makes me! Read it and get super jealous because I am not desperate for attention at all...
#9JollyCoopPosted 4/5/2014 7:43:49 AM(edited)
I feel your pain... In ds1 i did sl1 to ng+3 and sl10 ninja cosplay with only shadow set, target shield and uchi melee only to ng+2 and sl5 mage to ng+9. And i could parry on reaction, but now you need to guess when to parry... Also rolling doesn't work and blocking is unresponsive... You got no choice but to level because the game will hit you no matter what.

That being said. It looks amazing... Maybe we need more practise... I only played 80 hours vs 1000+ on ds1...
---
PSN: JollyCoop, UnJollyCoop (NG+7 only)
#10NovaLevossidaPosted 4/5/2014 7:52:40 AM
The thing that gets me about roll delay is that it isn't consistent as far as I can tell. It will sometimes happen in the worst of times, and other times it won't. Shield delay is at least consistent. I know it consistently won't block attacks in time, so I roll. In the cases where I roll, sometimes I get to roll in time, and sometimes I don't.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter