Melee is so inferior, and all builds are the same (way more so than previously)

#1Tec187Posted 4/7/2014 12:46:14 AM
The below is ALL in regards to PVE - I do not PVP at all.

4 characters above lv120 (1 above 200), and sadly, I have come to the conclusion that builds are not nearly as varied as in previous souls games.

1: Going above minimum stat req. for your weapon of choice/shield = pointless.
1A: str/dex above 20-30 is pointless regardless of weapon choice. (If your weapon of choice requires more than that, you're doing it wrong (I don't want to think that))

2: Skipping int/faith completely on a build = fail

3: Pure Dex build = pretty much fail

4: All win builds consists of int, faith or both along with the weapon of choice, and some flame swathe tossed in for good measure.

Now, I've been defending this game since release, and tbh i probably will continue to do so, because it's an outstanding game in almost all ways for me except this one little issue that is that ALL builds are the same and thus it becomes damn boring too quickly.

Faith / str with a claymore or a defenders greatsword

Int / str with MLGS

int / faith with dark weapon of choice (crypt sword if you will) and GRS

Any of the above can also be done with a dex weapon if you so choose.

In the end, it all becomes the same to play.....

1: Cast spell and win
2: If first spell didn't kill your target cast a second which will surely kill said target.
If boss then:
3: Cast spell 3 more times tops, and win

Once you get bored of this, start using your maxed out weapon of choice, that you never really use, just for a change of pace.

Once that gets boring too, and you milked NG completely and utterly, start NG+ and pick up the few things, very few things, that aren't in NG, then proceed to NG++, all the while still doing numbers 1 and 2 from above mentioned list.....

I put in a lot of hours in this game already, and it's starting to annoy me that I can't really enjoy making a new character anymore, because i already know what the end result will be like.

I've never been a pure str player, don't like it, not even in the souls games where it actually worked (oh wait....nm)

I don't see any way out of this except either "fixing" melee scaling or nerfing the entire magic side, and i do NOT believe that to be a good solution!

Rant over *sob*
---
I'm getting too old for this sheet
~ "I don't need luck, I have ammo" ~ Grunt, ME3
#2MilleydPosted 4/7/2014 12:50:19 AM
In regards to PVE that exact same thing was done before as well, casting a spell at the boss until it died easy.

Otherwise, I've already made more varied characters in this than I've done in the other games.
---
Music is good. Please add me on Last.fm!
http://www.last.fm/user/Millicent_Kitty
#3DaSnakeSnackPosted 4/7/2014 12:55:47 AM
Well you put forward such incredible arguments as "Fail" how can anyone disagree?
#4nonexistingheroPosted 4/7/2014 1:02:10 AM
I don't get why people say GRS is overpowered. Mine almost never hits.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#5Endless_NightPosted 4/7/2014 1:05:01 AM
nonexistinghero posted...

Maybe you're not doing it right?
---
Everything stemmed from Chaos, Aligned to Cosmos, Brought forth by Space, Woven with Time and Governed by Gravity.
#6MilleydPosted 4/7/2014 1:05:15 AM

Sometimes there are idiots who roll straight toward you into melee range without having an option afterward. If you see someone start one of those rolls, cast your GRS so it hits them when they come out of it. No time to roll again since they're so close.

Otherwise, extremely easy to deal with.
---
Music is good. Please add me on Last.fm!
http://www.last.fm/user/Millicent_Kitty
#7Tec187(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 1:07:26 AM

Tbh I don't think it's more overpowered than Great lightning spear or sunlight spear.
And it's only really powerful in NG. Once you start going through the NG+'s, most spells feels more "in line", but at that point, there's even less reason to use weapons if you DO have those spells at the ready.

I get that there's a lot of variety for PVP, but there just isn't for PVE, unless you intentionally "gimp" your self.
There's no reason to NOT use great lightning spear on a faith build
There's no reason to NOT use GRS on a hex build

Maybe if there were more viable dps spells to use instead of those select few, it would help.
That still wouldn't fix the melee scaling problem though, or the weapon buffing issue.
---
I'm getting too old for this sheet
~ "I don't need luck, I have ammo" ~ Grunt, ME3
#8FafnirPosted 4/7/2014 2:18:15 AM(edited)
This is the best build in the game, and there's very little reason to run much else:

VIG: 40
END: 40
VIT: 39
ATT: 2
STR: 25
DEX: 18
ADP: 3
INT: 18
FTH: 18

Raw Moonlight, Raw Avelyn, Southern Ritual Band, CMW.
With the Third Dragon Ring, you'll have nearly 2000 HP, you'll have enough load capacity to fit full Havel's armour with room to spare (especially with the Royal Soldier's Ring), and you'll kill any opponent in 3-4 hits.

Within the next month or so, expect the game to become more centralized around this build than it already is (and holy crap, it is).
---
PSN: TheManingrey
ACVD ID: Wintermute / 3DS FC: 0860-4081-6465
#9Cpt_MarceliantoPosted 4/7/2014 1:28:47 AM
1: swing weapon and win
2: if 1 doesnt work, dodge, and hit again. This will kill the target.
If boss then:
3: keep hitting till dead.

I dont get your point here. Spells are how mages attack. Whats the difference?
---
"I see. So this is it. It lies here within this palm. The heart." Ulquiorra Cifer
#10copenhagenLongCPosted 4/7/2014 1:31:07 AM

Then you don't hex. Git gud. I decimate people with very little opposition on my hexer in pvp.

Who cares about pve anyway? Its going to become easier and easier over time no matter what build you're using as you memorize enemy placement and attack patterns.