what hurt dark souls 2 the most...

#1applesforapplesPosted 4/7/2014 7:11:39 AM
I posted this in another topic, but I feel this deserves its own topic. While I love dark souls 2, and will likely play it for weeks or months to come, I feel like the game was hurt most by the last second changes in late development.

-change of lightning system/graphics got rid of torches and required hasty relighting of areas. Most areas that are barren of s
art assets were most likely meant to be traversed with a torch. Also made all of these areas uninteresting and unmemorable. Change in lighting made previously impactful/scary moments null and removed darkness as a danger. Also meant that a lot of enemy Ai had to be scrapped.

-graphics downgrade. Many of the areas were designed around this engine, its clear they put more time into the engine than the textures, which would be fine had the engine not been scrapped. Areas like FoFG, Aldias Keep, and Shaded Woods look like they were really built around the engine. Graphics are the lens through which we see set design, so the downgrade affected the atmosphere a lot.

-changes to spallcasting/pyromancy were also last minute. Several weapons display fire damage values and several enemies use sorceror tools to cast pyromancies. In addition past mnute addition of the binoculars and poor sorcery balancing lead me to believe those mechanics were scraped late in development too.

there are other things, but mostly it feels like the game was released with it's pants around its ankles. While I doubt any of these things will be patched in, I can always hope.

what do you guys think?
---
"Those who do not move do not feel their chains" - Rosa Luxembourg
PSN: productofboredum - feel free to add me :)
#2applesforapples(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 7:21:21 AM
Bump
---
#3XCrossYZPosted 4/7/2014 7:23:19 AM
Why do people mostly make these asinine topics with a new account? Be a man/woman and use your main account >:O
---
I bleed Big Blue!
Dayman! Fighter of the Nightman! Champion of the Sun!
#4KalekebroPosted 4/7/2014 7:23:26 AM
Yeah, I pretty much agree that the last minute drop of that entire torch/darkness thing hurt the game, but at the same time, I can see why they did it. IIRC, they had to drop it due to framerate issues.

That said, I honestly would have been fine waiting for a delayed release if it meant they would be able to get it working with good FPS.
---
GT: Kalekemo
PSN: Kalekemo
#5LazyKennyPosted 4/7/2014 7:23:45 AM
As someone who has platinumed all three games

The biggest problem with this game is that dying is no longer your fault. As much as people do not want to admit it, there really is cheapness in this game and it destroys the rewarding experience of getting past that one part. Previous games had you saying to yourself "man, that was hard" but in this game it's "finally, that was stupid."
---
The main thing I liked about FFTA? You were the villain bent on destroying Ivalice, re-crippling your brother, and killing someone's mom for a second time.
#6Orven123Posted 4/7/2014 7:23:48 AM
To quote you, ok.

Nah JK, I feel that the thing that hurts Dark Souls 2 the most is that it tries to be a combination of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and that it fails to have it's own personality and charm. It kind of fails on both sides.
#7applesforapples(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 7:24:14 AM
XCrossYZ posted...
Why do people mostly make these asinine topics with a new account? Be a man/woman and use your main account >:O

this is my main account.
---
#8IceKrimPosted 4/7/2014 7:26:08 AM
Torches are only handy when you're a true gamer and play dark souls while the sun shines brightly outside and reflects from the tv screen. I can't see sh*t without torches lol.

No I don't have curtains, dont ask
---
Duelling sporadically. PSN: Lollershopper
#9OMGWTFBBQ99Posted 4/7/2014 7:26:42 AM
I'm getting the PC version to see if they fixed the graphical issues. If so, great! It not...eh. Hopefully someone'll come up with a DS2Fix to let you replace some textures.
---
It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.
PSN: Exivious / 3DS: 1435-4697-0457
#10NishuPosted 4/7/2014 7:27:47 AM
I think the game looks perfectly fine. If they tried to keep the torch being a required thing, people would just complain about that.