Thorned vs Defender

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Thorned vs Defender

User Info: IssacFrost

IssacFrost
2 years ago#1
I'm pretty torn among these two weapons.

On one hand I have a full move set greatsword that hits like a truck when fully upgraded WITHOUT the buff and hits like a wrecking tank when using it's built in Sunlight Blade.

On the other hand I have a Greatsword that utilizes only the fast R1 movesets can be buffed by Sunlight Blade and can shoot projectiles with R2.

Both I carry massive amounts of repair powder. So which one is better for PvP?
GT Aizakku Furosto
Official Archdrake Knight of GameFaqs

User Info: _Caker_

_Caker_
2 years ago#2
The R2 moves are much more useful than the crappy thorned projectile, but the buff of the defenders lasts a pathetic amount of time compared to SB. I prefer defenders although I wonder if a lightning claymore would be better than both

User Info: DismalFaith1

DismalFaith1
2 years ago#3
_Caker_ posted...
The R2 moves are much more useful than the crappy thorned projectile, but the buff of the defenders lasts a pathetic amount of time compared to SB. I prefer defenders although I wonder if a lightning claymore would be better than both

I can vouch for a Lightning Ruler's Sword being better than any of them... as long as you have 1m Souls.

IssacFrost
2 years ago#4
DismalFaith1 posted...
_Caker_ posted...

I can vouch for a Lightning Ruler's Sword being better than any of them... as long as you have 1m Souls.

It seems to get better at 3M souls. But I want to be practical. So between those two and a Lightning Claymore which one of them would be best?
50 faith 20 Str 16 Dex
GT Aizakku Furosto

IssacFrost
2 years ago#5
Thorned GS seems to be winning it for me. R1 R1 into R2 when both the attack AND the lightning strikes it deals a hefty amount of damage. More so buffed with SLB. And it's not yet +5... Rocking it now with Cloranthy +2, Third Dragon Ring, Clear Bluestone +2 ans Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 for about 13 R2 combo shots before I have to use 2 Repairs then Rinse and Repeat. Got the idea from this thread:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68884019

So right now Thorned is what I'm rocking.

Note: I'm basically really a caster with Llewelyn Set + Saint Hood (need to max these out). 50 Attune and 50 Faith. Lightning Dragon Chime +5. Cast Speed 246.
GT Aizakku Furosto

User Info: Sephirotheu

Sephirotheu
2 years ago#6
IssacFrost posted...
I'm pretty torn among these two weapons.

On one hand I have a full move set greatsword that hits like a truck when fully upgraded WITHOUT the buff and hits like a wrecking tank when using it's built in Sunlight Blade.

On the other hand I have a Greatsword that utilizes only the fast R1 movesets can be buffed by Sunlight Blade and can shoot projectiles with R2.

Both I carry massive amounts of repair powder. So which one is better for PvP?

Defenders greatsword by a longshot, a pure faith build can hit above 600 AR with it.
The buff isnt sunlight blade, it only boosts Light dmg by 20% unline Sunlight which boosts 30%.

User Info: ATTACK__CAT

ATTACK__CAT
2 years ago#7
one thing to remember… defender gets S scaling to light… the other two get C (throned might get a B actually… I do have both at +5 but can't remember)…

my decision was throned was awful. projectiles were very weak and the MUCH lower scaling meant defender hit for MUCH more despite sunlight blade giving thorned +30%.

FYI it is when you infuse defender it gets the mad scaling bonus.

defender also has an amazing roll -> R1.

claymore just winds up a little on the weak side. move set is great, but doesn't mean a lot when the power is so low relative to the others, and their move sets are in no way bad.

User Info: KingofDeceit666

KingofDeceit666
2 years ago#8
Defender's GS is better.
http://tinyurl.com/c5ambvk - http://tinyurl.com/nrluepw - http://tinyurl.com/okfh7ba

User Info: RandyNotaLoca

RandyNotaLoca
2 years ago#9
I'm doing some testing and Lighting Mastodon Halberd is doing more than my Lighting Defender GS even though Mastodon only have B compare to Defender's S. I will also gladly test Thorned as well and see who comes at the top.
Current Games Playing: Metal Gear Solid 2 HD PSN- cangriman87
Pull List- AM, Batman, ST, JLD, Constantine, ANXM, UA, SSM, AoU, Saga, EoW, & Harbinger

User Info: Sephirotheu

Sephirotheu
2 years ago#10
Defenders R2 has the the most insane trucking in the game, even if u roll behind me, it will still hit u.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Thorned vs Defender

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived