Thorned vs Defender

#1IssacFrostPosted 4/22/2014 2:55:44 AM
I'm pretty torn among these two weapons.

On one hand I have a full move set greatsword that hits like a truck when fully upgraded WITHOUT the buff and hits like a wrecking tank when using it's built in Sunlight Blade.

On the other hand I have a Greatsword that utilizes only the fast R1 movesets can be buffed by Sunlight Blade and can shoot projectiles with R2.

Both I carry massive amounts of repair powder. So which one is better for PvP?
---
GT Aizakku Furosto
Official Archdrake Knight of GameFaqs
#2_Caker_Posted 4/22/2014 3:01:22 AM
The R2 moves are much more useful than the crappy thorned projectile, but the buff of the defenders lasts a pathetic amount of time compared to SB. I prefer defenders although I wonder if a lightning claymore would be better than both
#3DismalFaith1Posted 4/22/2014 3:05:56 AM
_Caker_ posted...
The R2 moves are much more useful than the crappy thorned projectile, but the buff of the defenders lasts a pathetic amount of time compared to SB. I prefer defenders although I wonder if a lightning claymore would be better than both

I can vouch for a Lightning Ruler's Sword being better than any of them... as long as you have 1m Souls.
#4IssacFrost(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 3:17:48 AM
DismalFaith1 posted...
_Caker_ posted...

I can vouch for a Lightning Ruler's Sword being better than any of them... as long as you have 1m Souls.

It seems to get better at 3M souls. But I want to be practical. So between those two and a Lightning Claymore which one of them would be best?
50 faith 20 Str 16 Dex
---
GT Aizakku Furosto
#5IssacFrost(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 5:03:27 AM
Thorned GS seems to be winning it for me. R1 R1 into R2 when both the attack AND the lightning strikes it deals a hefty amount of damage. More so buffed with SLB. And it's not yet +5... Rocking it now with Cloranthy +2, Third Dragon Ring, Clear Bluestone +2 ans Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 for about 13 R2 combo shots before I have to use 2 Repairs then Rinse and Repeat. Got the idea from this thread:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68884019

So right now Thorned is what I'm rocking.

Note: I'm basically really a caster with Llewelyn Set + Saint Hood (need to max these out). 50 Attune and 50 Faith. Lightning Dragon Chime +5. Cast Speed 246.
---
GT Aizakku Furosto
#6SephirotheuPosted 4/22/2014 5:06:37 AM
IssacFrost posted...
I'm pretty torn among these two weapons.

On one hand I have a full move set greatsword that hits like a truck when fully upgraded WITHOUT the buff and hits like a wrecking tank when using it's built in Sunlight Blade.

On the other hand I have a Greatsword that utilizes only the fast R1 movesets can be buffed by Sunlight Blade and can shoot projectiles with R2.

Both I carry massive amounts of repair powder. So which one is better for PvP?

Defenders greatsword by a longshot, a pure faith build can hit above 600 AR with it.
The buff isnt sunlight blade, it only boosts Light dmg by 20% unline Sunlight which boosts 30%.
#7ATTACK__CATPosted 4/22/2014 5:06:59 AM
one thing to remember… defender gets S scaling to light… the other two get C (throned might get a B actually… I do have both at +5 but can't remember)…

my decision was throned was awful. projectiles were very weak and the MUCH lower scaling meant defender hit for MUCH more despite sunlight blade giving thorned +30%.

FYI it is when you infuse defender it gets the mad scaling bonus.

defender also has an amazing roll -> R1.

claymore just winds up a little on the weak side. move set is great, but doesn't mean a lot when the power is so low relative to the others, and their move sets are in no way bad.
#8KingofDeceit666Posted 4/22/2014 5:08:53 AM
Defender's GS is better.
---
http://tinyurl.com/c5ambvk - http://tinyurl.com/nrluepw - http://tinyurl.com/okfh7ba
#9RandyNotaLocaPosted 4/22/2014 5:12:05 AM
I'm doing some testing and Lighting Mastodon Halberd is doing more than my Lighting Defender GS even though Mastodon only have B compare to Defender's S. I will also gladly test Thorned as well and see who comes at the top.
---
Current Games Playing: Metal Gear Solid 2 HD PSN- cangriman87
Pull List- AM, Batman, ST, JLD, Constantine, ANXM, UA, SSM, AoU, Saga, EoW, & Harbinger
#10SephirotheuPosted 4/22/2014 5:17:18 AM
Defenders R2 has the the most insane trucking in the game, even if u roll behind me, it will still hit u.