Do you use the Ring of Life/Soul Protection?

#1xlinerPosted 3/30/2014 5:46:12 PM
Do you? - Results (204 votes)
Yes
80.39% (164 votes)
No
19.61% (40 votes)
This poll is now closed.
It's going to be patched in some way, since it takes away the point of death.
---
Official Praise the Sun! of the Dark Souls 2 Board
xliner is probably an eridian - 3CDED | http://i.imgur.com/HazHHmG.png
#2zeroboboPosted 3/30/2014 5:46:52 PM
Yes i do. I have 3 that i rotate :)

I dont think it will get patched.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#3ArchMageSynokPosted 3/30/2014 5:53:10 PM
I have 10 that I rotate, it should get patched, make it cost more to repair.
---
"But when I looked down, I saw that I hadn't kicked a hole in a baby. I kick a hole in a bag of flour! I'd been tricked!"
DkS2 Explorer Master Race
#4Spoiled_ClichePosted 3/30/2014 5:54:33 PM(edited)
I am currently on NG+ having three rings of Soul Protection and two of Life Protection. They are all very useful, specially because it's so easy to gain a lot of souls right now. The repair cost for both rings is very cheap and they effectively counter the hollow mechanic, as well as make invasions much less punishing for the host.

It would be no surprise if they got patched, increasing the repair cost to 10.000 and 20.000 souls respectively.
#5Killmoves37Posted 3/30/2014 5:54:56 PM
Im far too metal for that ring.
#6pro9b17Posted 3/30/2014 5:57:14 PM
xliner posted...
It's going to be patched in some way, since it takes away the point of death.

Why would they patch it? It can be very expensive, and also inconvenient when you don't have enough souls to repair it. For example, I died almost 30 times to the Smelter Demon. The first few times I died against it, I got down to my last Effigy, and was furious that I was wasting them. So I got and equipped the ring. I died another 30 or so times to that boss with the ring on, each time paying 3k to fix the ring in Majula before warping back to that boss. That cost me almost 100k souls, just to retain my humanity so I could have the ability to summon.

And when it got to the point that the enemies stopped respawning in that level, I had to go travel to other levels to kill several enemies just to have enough souls to be able to fix the ring again every time I died. That was incredibly inconvenient, since I kept dying to a boss that I couldn't figure out how to beat (even with summoned help!). This game is way harder than DS1, and having that ring equipped really adds up in souls spent to repair it, as well as time spent going out of your way to earn enough souls to repair it every time it breaks. And all of those souls that you spend fixing it, you could have used leveling up your character, upgrading your gear, buying some good items, etc.

The ring is fine as it is. Effigies are finite and hard to come by in the early and mid stages of the game. When you run out of Effigies, you can't summon help, and each time you die, your max health gets lower and lower, making the game even more difficult. So you have the choice of that, or spending a ****ton of souls that you could put to much better use repairing a ring every time you die. It's a fair trade off, even when the patch comes out that will let successful co-oping regain your humanity. Death is so frequent in this game, co-oping can be inconvenient too. Absolutely no point in patching the ring, it's fine as it is.
---
Pro9b = Pro 9-Ball (retired) 17 = My ranking in my state at the height of my career. There's no money in pool, the elite top few players make 100k/year at best.
#7TheIciestWaterPosted 3/30/2014 5:59:13 PM
I didn't even think about rotating rings and then just fixing them every few deaths until coming here, and at this point, I'm glad I didn't. So nah.
---
So icy it burns more than cools. Yeah, it's like that.
#8ArchMageSynokPosted 3/30/2014 5:59:28 PM
I say increasing them to 6k and 9k would be fine, then they can't be abused too much in NG and by NG+ they are moot anyway.
---
"But when I looked down, I saw that I hadn't kicked a hole in a baby. I kick a hole in a bag of flour! I'd been tricked!"
DkS2 Explorer Master Race
#9pro9b17Posted 3/30/2014 6:00:10 PM
The same rings were in the first Dark Souls, the only difference being that they break for good. But you could buy quite a few of them, and also acquire a few for free in the game. I never heard anyone saying those should have been patched. Why patch them now? As mentioned, the cost to repair them really adds up, and it can be time consuming farming enough souls to repair the ring. It's fine as it is.
---
Pro9b = Pro 9-Ball (retired) 17 = My ranking in my state at the height of my career. There's no money in pool, the elite top few players make 100k/year at best.
#10TheIciestWaterPosted 3/30/2014 6:00:40 PM
I didn't realize it apparently made you keep your humanity though... that's pretty ridiculous.
---
So icy it burns more than cools. Yeah, it's like that.