Something MMX1 did, that no other game did...

#21cheese785Posted 12/31/2012 12:33:12 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
I'm starting to enjoy the Zero games less with Zero 2. I mean the game itself is good, but you need an A rank for the EX abilities. Capcom's grading scale is so messed up. "Oh, you got 94% and didn't need help from cyber elfs? Yeah, thats a B, no EX ability for you".

The requirements for some of the ranks throughout the series really started pissing me off. I'd like to play through the series again, but I really don't feel like having to 100% each level just to get the abilities.
---
\m/
#22Da DoodPosted 12/31/2012 4:52:07 AM
You only need an A rank for the abilities. It's not so bad. And aside from the burst shot and the sword uppercut, they're not super useful. They're more like trophies for your achievement.

Anyway, you can find 4 or so Cyber Elves that bump your rank to A for one stage, so at least 4 of those skills are "free". Z3 makes it even easier with the Satellite Elves, and in Z4 you don't need a good rank for the abilities, just the difficult weather mode.
---
And this time!
#23Splatterhouse5Posted 12/31/2012 5:08:13 AM
^ I agree!

n00bsaib0t posted...
Capcom's grading scale is so messed up. "Oh, you got 94% and didn't need help from cyber elfs? Yeah, thats a B, no EX ability for you".

The percentage you're shown on the result screen is your performance on the stage you just cleared, but your letter level at any given time is the average of every percentage you've scored throughout the game. Also, you receive an EX skill based on your level when you fight the boss, but your level isn't recalculated until after you clear the stage, so whether or not you're getting an EX skill is determined the moment you set foot in the stage.

It's kind of hard to explain, so here's an example:
* I clear the intro stage with 99% and receive an initial rank of S.
* I choose Panter Flauclaws' stage. I'm already at rank S, so I'm going to get his EX skill no matter how I do... which is good, since I screw up and get a 49%, bringing my rank down to C.
* I hit Hyleg Ourobockle next. I do much better this time, 91%. My rank going in was C, though, so I wouldn't be getting his EX skill even with a flawless performance. Furthermore, my recalculated rank only averages out to B, so I'm not going to be getting an EX skill from whoever I pick as my next target either.

It's a slippery slope. Once you get a bad rank, you're unlikely to ever pull it up enough to get an EX skill again. But that's where Cyber-elves come in.

cheese785 posted...
I'd like to play through the series again, but I really don't feel like having to 100% each level just to get the abilities.

So don't 100% each stage. None of the EX skills are necessary. Even if you don't care about your rank, though, it's easy to get a decent amount of EX skills.

There are four Cyber-elves in Zero 2 and five in Zero 3 that will raise your rank to A just for the stage you're currently in. Simply use one of those before going up against a boss whose EX skill you want and you're guaranteed to get it. On top of that, the intro stage in each game is easy to get an A or S rank on, so you'll get the EX skill of whichever boss you choose to tackle first. That means you get at least half of the EX skills in each game even if you don't put any effort into keeping a high rank.
---
Canon: the juvenile's way of looking at fiction.
#24n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 5:27:15 AM
So what you're saying is that in Z2-3 if I get a bad grade I need to just turn of my DS and load my save again. Also am I the only one that finds it weird that there is a penalty for Cyber Elf usage preventing you from getting those A ranks yet the Ultimate Form requires you to use all the Cyber Elfs? I know these games are old and this stuff was all discussed years ago, but its new to me.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#25Rasb_BurrisePosted 12/31/2012 5:33:27 AM
Frankly, Swordless LoZ is actually a huge gameplay change. You basically can only damage things with bombs and later the bow, but firstly with bombs only. You actually disable A button of the game.

No Esper FF6 is pretty straightforward, that's why you always have to go Natural Magic, No Equipment, which is what I listed. Natural Magic already assumes No Esper. Natural Magic obviously means only Terra, Celes, Gogo can cast (and later on, only Terra is any good at it) and almost no one can viably regular attack save Umaro and Gau. Cyan can't Swordtech, Celes can't Runic, no one can reach ridiculous MBlock rates, Sabin suddenly becomes good of all things, same with Gogo, and Blue Magic is the only viable way to beat the game. Which is funny because it's still super easy to beat the game.
---
"I buy sausage" - Haruhi from K-On?: Fumoffu
#26Rasb_BurrisePosted 12/31/2012 5:48:03 AM
So what you're saying is that in Z2-3 if I get a bad grade I need to just turn of my DS and load my save again.

Only if you really care about rank. Zero games are actually pretty easy to A rank. Get a few 98+ scores on the easy missions at the beginning to buffer your score, a few 90+ on normal missions, and then you can basically bomb the last few really hard missions and still maintain an A and get all those cool abilities.

It also depends on the games. Zero 1 has a really low damage threshold to maintain 15 points, something like 4 damage. Zero 2 is like 8 damage. Zero 3 and 4 have ridiculously high thresholds and I can easily S Rank those games without even trying. Time should never be an issue, enemies killed depends on just farming enemies at the most convenient spot, and not using Elves/missions are straight forward.
---
"I buy sausage" - Haruhi from K-On?: Fumoffu
#27Da DoodPosted 12/31/2012 6:32:08 AM(edited)
n00bsaib0t posted...
So what you're saying is that in Z2-3 if I get a bad grade I need to just turn of my DS and load my save again.

Yeah, pretty much. But again, you don't actually need the EX Skills to beat the game, so the grade system itself is completely optional. Although I agree that constantly looking at an F rank and insulting nicknames when you don't care about your performance can get annoying.

As for the Ultimate Form, well, start using Cyber Elves only after getting the EX Skills. It's no big deal.

Also am I the only one that finds it weird that there is a penalty for Cyber Elf usage preventing you from getting those A ranks yet the Ultimate Form requires you to use all the Cyber Elfs?

The Cyber Elf penalty is weird but Z3 and Z4 deal with this. In Z3 you can equip a couple of Cyber Elves with no penalty, and in Z4 it's kinda the same. Additionally, some abilities that are related to Cyber Elves in Z1 and Z2 turned into equippable chips in Z3 and 4 (no penalty).
---
And this time!
#28n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 7:54:38 AM
Yeah, I've moved onto Zero 3 and I love how they revamped the system. I still think Zero 1 is my favorite so far, because rank is just a matter of pride (so if affects nothing) and the whole world being connected was just amazing. I'm not sure if I like Zero 3 taking away the weapon levels in favor of Cyber Elfs that take the same effect though, but thats really my only gripe with it.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#29Damien 5000(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2012 4:35:28 PM
I forgot I made this thread. I'm glad it got so many responses. I kinda wanna play X4 again to try that thing on the spider. I forgot about it(Or possibly never learned of it) Because I always went for the Spider first, then went through the order of weakness. And by the timethe Gauntlet happened, I was fully armored, so I didn't really use weaknesses. I just Plasma Shotted EVERYONE.
---
Everything feels better fresh out of the dryer. Even death would be nicer if it was dryer fresh.
-UnitOmega010
#30n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 11:50:16 PM
Yeah, that plasma shot is OP. Its actually how the thread got so derailed with everyone talking about different games and playing games in various ways, because I did that no armor X 4 run.

On another note, Zero 3 just joined the ranks of my favorite Mega Man games ever simply for acknowledging that X and Zero aren't Reploids. It doesn't happen often, they are usually referred to as Reploids by default even though they aren't, but when it does happen it makes me very happy to see that Capcom hasn't forgotten that X and Zero aren't replicas of X created on designs from Dr Cain.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific