Something MMX1 did, that no other game did...

#31Damien 5000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 12:43:47 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Yeah, that plasma shot is OP. Its actually how the thread got so derailed with everyone talking about different games and playing games in various ways, because I did that no armor X 4 run.

On another note, Zero 3 just joined the ranks of my favorite Mega Man games ever simply for acknowledging that X and Zero aren't Reploids. It doesn't happen often, they are usually referred to as Reploids by default even though they aren't, but when it does happen it makes me very happy to see that Capcom hasn't forgotten that X and Zero aren't replicas of X created on designs from Dr Cain.

Wait, X and Zero aren't considered Reploids? Is that why the Maverick Viruses affect them differently?
---
Everything feels better fresh out of the dryer. Even death would be nicer if it was dryer fresh.
-UnitOmega010
#32n00bsaib0tPosted 1/1/2013 1:26:10 AM
Reploids are replicas of the way X was designed. X, by definition, cannot be a replica. Zero was created by Dr Wily, thus also not a Reploid. X knows his origins, but I don't think he goes around advertising that he was the original. Zero knows that he isn't a Reploid and was found similar to X, but also doesn't go around advertising it. Sigma is the only one that knows the full truth about Zero, as Zero only knows bits an pieces. That is, if the US translations are accurate and Sigma has actually spoken to Wily and Wily built his bodys, then Sigma knows.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#33Damien 5000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 1:41:47 AM
Yeah, but isn't Reploid simply "Replicant Android?" I knew X and Zero were the first, but I figured they were definitively considered "Reploids" because they were replicants... Wow, mid sentence and I get what you're saying. Sorry, if you look at the time, It's about 40 past midnight and the drinks are getting to me now.

So are X and Zero simply Androids? Don't they blood though? I always figured they had flesh and blood, because of how Double slaughtered those Hunters, and there was blood.
---
Everything feels better fresh out of the dryer. Even death would be nicer if it was dryer fresh.
-UnitOmega010
#34n00bsaib0tPosted 1/1/2013 1:58:55 AM
I always thought that they used oil and coolants to give the appearance of blood in them, think Sektor and Cyrax in Mortal Kombat. It is worth pointing out here, however, that every time Zero is destroyed there is no "blood". Presumably because he was made different from X. It was never shown when X's body is destroyed so its unknown if he "bleeds" like the Reploids do.

But yeah, X and Zero are basically androids. So are the other reploids. The Reploild race got their name because they are all replicas of the design Dr Light used to build X and give him complete free will. This is also why Reploids can go Maverick while the Light bots could not, they had to be reprogrammed to follow Wily's commands.

There is also the Zero virus causing Reploids to go Maverick, but thats a completely different discussion. The main difference between X, Zero and the Reploids compared to the Robot Masters from the Classic series is free will, something Light and Wily figured out that no one else could until Cain found X.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#35Damien 5000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 2:19:02 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
I always thought that they used oil and coolants to give the appearance of blood in them, think Sektor and Cyrax in Mortal Kombat. It is worth pointing out here, however, that every time Zero is destroyed there is no "blood". Presumably because he was made different from X. It was never shown when X's body is destroyed so its unknown if he "bleeds" like the Reploids do.

But yeah, X and Zero are basically androids. So are the other reploids. The Reploild race got their name because they are all replicas of the design Dr Light used to build X and give him complete free will. This is also why Reploids can go Maverick while the Light bots could not, they had to be reprogrammed to follow Wily's commands.

There is also the Zero virus causing Reploids to go Maverick, but thats a completely different discussion. The main difference between X, Zero and the Reploids compared to the Robot Masters from the Classic series is free will, something Light and Wily figured out that no one else could until Cain found X.

Yeah, I knew the "Repl" part of reploid meant replicant. I just never realized it was for X and Zero. Or maybe I did, and it's just been so many years since I've sat down and thought about it, that the knowledge has left me since my mid teens. That said, the blood still came to mind for me a lot. As early as the first game, there's some blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Ii05Ejipc

If you look at Zero's face during the dialogue, there's a drip of blood from his mouth. Then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyujkjgg4kg

As Double slaughters them, there's splashes of dark red. I mean, yeah, it could be oil, but most oil I see is black, man.

That said, I would love to have you destroy me on MK9, if you still play. I don't. And I was never good in the first place, but I do need to play again sometime. I enjoyed MK9 a lot more than Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.
---
-UnitOmega010
#36n00bsaib0tPosted 1/1/2013 2:27:20 AM
Keen observations. The ending to X 5 is usually my go to reference for Zero not bleeding though. He got split in half and is missing an arm, no blood. Not even from the scratches on his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90If8Azaw-M

Of course every body after Mega Man X was a copy, kinda like in the Zero series (which kinda bugged me when I beat Zero 3 and they were trying to pass off the "Original Zero" as the first body when that Zero would be no less than body number three. The best way to do it would be to admit that the first body could bleed but none of the others I guess.

As for destroying you in MK9, I've never been particularly great at it. I know enough of the general strategy for my characters to have moderate success but I was never as good at it as I was MvC3 or SF4,
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#37Damien 5000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 2:36:29 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Keen observations. The ending to X 5 is usually my go to reference for Zero not bleeding though. He got split in half and is missing an arm, no blood. Not even from the scratches on his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90If8Azaw-M

Of course every body after Mega Man X was a copy, kinda like in the Zero series (which kinda bugged me when I beat Zero 3 and they were trying to pass off the "Original Zero" as the first body when that Zero would be no less than body number three. The best way to do it would be to admit that the first body could bleed but none of the others I guess.

As for destroying you in MK9, I've never been particularly great at it. I know enough of the general strategy for my characters to have moderate success but I was never as good at it as I was MvC3 or SF4,

I'm not good at fighters like MxC3 or SF4 though. I always get really into combos and find them to be interesting, spend half an hour on training mode getting them JUST right, and then I go and play MvC3 and my friends just mash a button with huge range and eat me. On MK9, there is no button mashing. If you do that, you die. I'm also a fan of Tekken, though they haven't made any good ones, recently, and my fandom has slowly decayed over the years.

I actually didn't get far in the Mega Man Zero series. The art style was kind of a turn off for me, and with no Gameboy Advanced, I was left with emulators. I've gotten fairly good at playing Mega Man games on my laptop, but Damn. DAMN. Mega Man Zero games are bloody difficult. I always considered myself a fairly adept Mega Man player. I mean, a lot of you guys can do some no-damage runs and no armor runs, but I know how to Mega Man, and I know it well. But Mega Man Zero took me to town. I couldn't find a working ROM for Zero 1, so I started on Zero 2, beat that, got stuck on 3 and threw in the towel.
---
-UnitOmega010
#38n00bsaib0tPosted 1/1/2013 2:56:17 AM
3 was really easy because of Satellite Elfs. If you don't care about your rank you can have the boss style life bars. Elemental weaknesses also wreck shop, although 1 out of every set of 4 doesn't have an elemental weakness. Zero 3 also has those head, body and foot chips. If you can get far enough without it, the Ultimate Foot Chip in the Baby Elf's stage is almost game breaking.

I would recommend getting the Zero Collection for DS if you have a DS or 3DS. It lets you take advantage of the extra two buttons the DS has over GBA, so you can actually play it with the Mega Man X control scheme. I never played them on GBA either, but I can't imagine doing it with the GBA controls, so awkward.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#39Damien 5000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 3:35:54 AM
Most people get irritated when their threads are hijakced. The discussions in the last few pages have actually highly amused me.
---
-UnitOmega010
#40Splatterhouse5Posted 1/1/2013 10:48:44 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
The Reploild race got their name because they are all replicas of the design Dr Light used to build X and give him complete free will.

I think that etymology was simply thought up by English-speaking fans. Can you tell me anywhere in the games where the word "Reploid" is deconstructed in such a way?

I'm also not sure what you mean about Zero 3 saying that X and Zero aren't Reploids. The very first sentence of the game is "The legendary Reploid Zero awoke from a long slumber."

Concerning blood, everything bleeds in the Japanese versions of the Zero games, even mechaniloids. I usually don't like censorship, but I kind of think it was a good choice to edit that out.
---
Canon: the juvenile's way of looking at fiction.