Dear Capcom: Here's how to really save Megaman

#21Ness0123456789Posted 12/31/2012 2:51:52 PM
Killing enemies with a time limit has happened before, too I think. I can't think of anything off of the top of my head, but I know that there were stages in past games where you had to kill enemies in a certain amount of time to escape a room or you were killed.

Cyber Peacock. Optic Sunflower's stage was essentially one giant throw back to Cyber Peacock's stage.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#22Damien 5000Posted 1/7/2013 1:39:39 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Damien 5000 posted...
X8 wouldn't have even been that bad, if they'd simply made more than like, what? Four levels that were actually Mega Man-like?

Think about it. The ice stage was all on a motorcycle, the stage against the Manowar was all on a jet thingy, Burn Rooster's stage was almost completely just jumping from platform to platform, Trilobyte forces you to run away from the mechanaloid, and Optic Sunflower's stage is simply killing enemies under a time limit.

I would argue it was LESS fun than X7, but X7 was pretty garbage as well.

The bike level was like Overdrive Ostrich's level in X 3 or Jet Stingray's level in X 4.

Jumping platform to platform while you are being chase up the screen by lava is like Flame Stag's level in X 2, the part after final Sigma in X 3, and in some ways like the fight with Phoenix in X 5. I think one of the Gate stages in X 6 did this too.

Running away from a mechanaloid is like the T-Rex in whatever stage it was in MM7, the intro stage in X 4, Duff McWhalen's stage in X 5, Infinity Mijinion's stage in X 6.

Killing enemies with a time limit has happened before, too I think. I can't think of anything off of the top of my head, but I know that there were stages in past games where you had to kill enemies in a certain amount of time to escape a room or you were killed.

Maybe you should play some of the older games before you start complaining.

Probably way too late to respond to this, but I don't want to be remembered as ignorant. It's not that the levels I pointed out weren't Mega Man like. Yeah, they've all been seen before, but the difference was that they weren't EVERY level. In X2, the cycle only took up about a third of the stage. Jet Stingray's cycle WAS the whole level, but at least of 8 stages, that was only one. The flame stage thing only happens for about ten seconds worth of the stage, rather than about 3/4s the stage, etc.

My point is, it's the level design of X8 that bugs me. Yes, all of the above happened, but they weren't in every stage. I don't have fun if they're making me do something BESIDES be Mega Man. One cycle stage is enough. X8 had two, plus a whole stage dedicated to jumping on platforms, plus another stage where you just jumped into teleporters to kills enemies in a time limit. Kinda like Cyber Peacocks, but Sunflower's was boring.
---
Everything feels better fresh out of the dryer. Even death would be nicer if it was dryer fresh.
-UnitOmega010
#23n00bsaib0tPosted 1/7/2013 7:02:58 AM
Cyber Peacock had no time limit. You were timed, but your grade didn't kill you it just got you a Sub Tank, Heart Piece or the Head Armor for being fast.

Anyway, I feel like X 8 ended the series on a good note. Not story wise, but as far as the quality of the game. X 7 wasn't bad but it didn't feel like a Mega Man X game, X 8 was great and felt exactly like a Mega Man X game to me. Its because of all the throw backs to what we had done in the past that I love it. Also, Cut Man.

Also I'm kinda shocked no one called me out on saying Blaze Heatnix/Phoenix was in X 5 :p
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#24Damien 5000Posted 1/7/2013 1:51:19 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Cyber Peacock had no time limit. You were timed, but your grade didn't kill you it just got you a Sub Tank, Heart Piece or the Head Armor for being fast.

Anyway, I feel like X 8 ended the series on a good note. Not story wise, but as far as the quality of the game. X 7 wasn't bad but it didn't feel like a Mega Man X game, X 8 was great and felt exactly like a Mega Man X game to me. Its because of all the throw backs to what we had done in the past that I love it. Also, Cut Man.

Also I'm kinda shocked no one called me out on saying Blaze Heatnix/Phoenix was in X 5 :p

I saw it and kept quiet. Same goes for Overdrive Ostrich being in X3. That was X2. =3

Due to the anniversary, I've been completing all of the X Games I own all over again. Or, at least attempting to. I've beaten X 1, 2, 4, 7 and 8. I'm having a lot of difficulty with Sigma on X5. I don't remember him being this hard. Haven't even touched X6 yet. Not a big fan of X3. I know a lot of people here are good at the X games, but 3 just ruins me every time. I can never remember where any of the light capsules are, and once Bit and Byte show up, it's just a troll fest of them stomping me around.
---
Everything feels better fresh out of the dryer. Even death would be nicer if it was dryer fresh.
-UnitOmega010
#25Splatterhouse5Posted 1/7/2013 8:49:58 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...

That's pretty much how I feel too. Sigma's apparently final death also makes it feel like the end of an era. I've been trying to retire that SOB since 1994.
---
Canon: the juvenile's way of looking at fiction.