I never really use special weapons...

#1Damien 5000Posted 12/31/2012 4:37:57 PM
The fact that they have ammo makes me uncomfortable. Like I'm supposed to "save" it. Is this why a lot of the time, you guys think some of the Mega Man games are easy? Do people typically use special weapons? I've beaten something like 25+ Mega Man games, and to this day, I still rarely use special weapons.
---
Everything feels better fresh out of the dryer. Even death would be nicer if it was dryer fresh.
-UnitOmega010
#2Dark_SilverXPosted 12/31/2012 6:47:40 PM
I only use the over powered ones to clear enemies when i am too lazy to charge the buster.
---
Carmine is a beast. No matter how many times he dies.
http://i.imgur.com/FrZIT.jpg
#3Da DoodPosted 12/31/2012 9:06:36 PM
I use them all the time. My ultimate goal in Mega Man games is to find a stage order where I don't ever switch back to the buster after beating the first boss. This is incredibly fun and makes the whole stage, not just bosses, part of the weakness cycle.
---
And this time!
#4n00bsaib0tPosted 12/31/2012 9:36:00 PM
The whole point of the game is to use the abilities you get. Mega Man 9 and 10 also track your clear times, which encourages weapon use. You're supposed to use them, so yes, I use them. I use the s*** out of them. In this game in particular, I'm rarely not using Soul Satellite or Optic Laser.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#5KamisamanoOtakuPosted 1/1/2013 9:16:59 AM
Special Weapons gained are literally half the fun in a well designed Mega Man game. I believe you should be able to get by with mostly the Buster (or arm cannon depending upon the game) and hate it when they "force" a Weapon because nothing else will work, but the ability to switch between different weapons really increases the replay value.

Just as you can challenge yourself to a "buster only" run, especially in the games where dying refills all your weapon meters, you can try to do "[insert weapon/] only runs (after getting that weapon as your first boss clear) to challenge yourself and also to test first hand what weapons work best where. There will often be places where you're not forced to use a weapon but it makes the experience easier and/or more enjoyable. Many weapons that are labeled as "bad" often just have a use (or uses) that the people commenting on them haven't found.

Buster-only types are do exist, and for many players doing a "buster only" run is a common practice, but it isn't the "only" way they play.
---
I like pie.
#6beloved_slackerPosted 1/1/2013 7:25:55 PM
I typically just use the standard buster for most of the game, then use special weapons on the bosses. I rarely use special weapons during any other time unless I'm faced with a particular situation where using a special just makes things a lot easier.

The one exception is probably megaman x. There are just a lot of moments where it works out better to use a special weapons(like the charged up rolling shield for the elevator and climbing the side of the tower in boomers stage).
---
"My fight, is a fight I can't afford to lose!" - Guyver 1
#7BiurfePosted 1/1/2013 11:37:25 PM
If you already know and have the weapon for the boss, you should use the other weapons you have to help you through the stage!!

Besides its no fun picking up all those ammo pellets (whatever theyre called) when all weapons are full
#8jake-sfPosted 1/2/2013 10:02:42 AM
Funny thing is, my problem with Mega Man in general is the weapons are just totally not needed. If I don't need to use something, then it means I probably won't use it. They kind of just exist to screw around or to make bosses so easy they're not fun using against them. I never liked using special weapons in Mega Man.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#9Da DoodPosted 1/2/2013 12:50:29 PM
It's not because they're unnecessary that they're not useful, though. You can make a lot of stages easier (and IMO, more fun) if you use boss weapons.

As for bosses themselves being too weak with weapons, that's sort of the point... they're supposed to be tough without the weakness, but if you get there with the right weapon, the easy fight is your reward.

Still, that's actually the beauty of Mega Man games, because each person has their favorite way to play them. Whenever I watch/read about some kind of new way to play the games, or an interesting boss order, I always go back to try for myself. It's great replay value.
---
And this time!
#10n00bsaib0tPosted 1/2/2013 8:31:57 PM
They kind of just exist to screw around or to make bosses so easy they're not fun using against them.

In all of Mega Man I can only think of two bosses I've never done buster only (Quick Man and Shadow Man), because all bosses fall into easy patterns and their AI can be manipulated. All the weapons do is make it so I don't have to waste my time standing still waiting for an armored enemy to drop his shield, not have to take a boss down 1 pellet at a time in games without charging, and not have to charge in games that have it.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile