What two mega man weapons, if removed would make each game hardest to no damage?

#1Inuyasha1357Posted 1/25/2013 6:41:40 PM
If you ignore boss fights I was curious what you guys thought would make each Mega man hardest if removed. Say you choose metal blades and flash stopper in Mega man 2. This would mean that you would have to beat each stage without the use of them, but you could still use Metal blades to destroy bubble man, and Flash stopper to beat quick man.

For each game that I actually have played enough to know.
Mega man 1: Electric beam and fire storm because they both kill most enemies in one hit, replace the buster entirely, and grant some additional benefit like a fire shield.
Mega Man 2: Metal blades and flash stopper because the metal blades are like an upgraded buster that can be fired in any direction, and the flash stopper allows you to skip by at least one hard part in each stage.
Mega man X: The chameleon sting and the storm tornado because the chameleon sting when charged grants invincibility and lets you ignore most of each stage, and the storm tornado is powerful and has a wide radius. It is also the best weapon on most of the mini-bosses in the game.

I have not really played any of the other Mega man games enough to know yet, but that is going to change soon. Now that I have beaten Mega man 1 and 2 without taking damage and without the weapons listed above, I intend to do 3, 4, and then finally this game.
---
A turtle creeps, sleeping beauty sleeps. - Akira
Games that I currently play all the time: SSBM, Persona 4 Arena, and Magic 2013
#2n00bsaib0tPosted 1/26/2013 12:14:17 AM
MM3- Shadow Blade and Magnet Missile. Shadow Blade was Metal Blade lite. Magnet Missile allowed you to say "f*** aiming", and its usefulness is often underrated. I use it a lot.

MM4- Pharaoh Shot for sure. Not sure what else.

MM6- Flame Blast and Yamato Spear. Flame Blast one shots a lot of enemies, the ones it doesn't still take massive damage. Yamato Spear penetrates shields and is also VERY strong.

MMX4- Soul Body and Rising Fire. Soul Body is almost too good, and charged Rising Fire wrecks most of the minibosses.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#3Inuyasha1357(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 10:45:05 AM
Actually now that I think about it, for Mega man 4 it should probably be Pharaoh shot and flash stopper because flash stopper. Pharaoh shot is powerful and versatile, while flash stopper is amazingly cheap in some areas.
---
#4qzecwxPosted 1/26/2013 2:11:58 PM
Pharaoh Shot can easily be replaced by one of the other weapons, and is only really noteworthy for speeding up handful of boss battles (none of which really need it; MM4 doesn't have anyone where you can get RNG screwed out of a perfect like Quick or Centaur, or at least not any that are meaningfully affected by Pharaoh Shot). You should ban Flash Stopper and Rain Flush because they'd be the most important ones to have in the narrow context of a no-damage run. Both can neutralize whole rooms with minimal effort.

MM3: Shadow Blade's the only one that really matters. While Gemini, Top, and Magnet are all decent weapons, it's of little to no detriment to go without them. I'd honestly pick Rush Jet second, with the obvious exemption for Doc Needle.

MM5: ....Huh. This one's actually pretty hard. Your go-to weapon for killing things is Gyro Attack, but there's invulnerability in Charge Kick, and Star Crash and Gravity Hold are pretty good for defense against projectiles and small, homing enemies respectively.

MM6: Centaur Flash is an obvious choice since it's basically Rain Flush. After that, you've got five interchangeable buster replacements and two joke weapons, so whatever. Let's say Plant Barrier just because it can stop seven projectiles.

MM7: Freeze Cracker and Wild Coil. Have fun.

MM9: Jewel Satellite and Tornado Blow.

MM10: Triple Blade and Wheel Cutter. Blades are broken, obviously, and Wheel Cutter is generally a better shield weapon than Water Shield, which will fail to stop a bullet nine times out of ten if even one bubble is missing.

X2: This arsenal kinda sucks, so the best bans would simply be the weaknesses to some of the harder bosses. I recommend Strike Chain and Bubble Splash.
---
EvenSpoonier: [Miyamoto] is someone who has forgotten more about game design than you will ever know.
#5n00bsaib0tPosted 1/26/2013 2:55:01 PM
MM6: Centaur Flash is an obvious choice since it's basically Rain Flush. After that, you've got five interchangeable buster replacements and two joke weapons, so whatever. Let's say Plant Barrier just because it can stop seven projectiles.

And yet no one uses those weapons anyway. Well, I would use Centaur Flash more if it actually could store more uses. I abuse it in Complete Works with the double weapon energy power up, but normally it doesn't have enough energy to be worthwhile. Flame Blast and Yamato Spear on the other hand have wicked damage and Yamato Spear penetrates shields. You can call Flame Blast a buster replacement if you want, but no other weapon in the game packs its damage to energy ratio.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#6qzecwxPosted 1/26/2013 5:24:16 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
And yet no one uses those weapons anyway. [...] Flame Blast and Yamato Spear on the other hand have wicked damage and Yamato Spear penetrates shields. You can call Flame Blast a buster replacement if you want, but no other weapon in the game packs its damage to energy ratio.

Yes, Flame is technically the best, but you make the gaps in power between MM6's weapons sound wider than they really are. With very few exceptions (bosses, gabyoalls, those dome things you can only kill with charged shots), the strengths of MM6's weapons are completely standardized: Flame, Plant, and Centaur all do four damage, Tomahawk and Knight do three, while Blizzard, Wind, and Yamato do two. It's not unheard of for people to say they prefer Knight over Flame for its extra line of range because at the end of the day, three and four are both good numbers to be working with when faced with enemies who most commonly have three or six health. Flame stands out when it can kill Power Slams in three hits instead of the four required by Knight and Tomahawk, and it gets points for being picked up very early in the most popular orders, but that's about all that sets it apart.

Weapons aren't used much in 6 because you're locked into the stupid Rush suits for the second half of the game, and the slow fade into and out of the menu makes switching more than a couple times per stage a chore. When you don't have them all, though, they're pretty good.
---
EvenSpoonier: [Miyamoto] is someone who has forgotten more about game design than you will ever know.
#7n00bsaib0tPosted 1/26/2013 5:36:47 PM
You can't rapid fire Tomahawk or Knight, though. Plus like I said, there is the damage to energy ratio. Centaur Flash is the go to weapon for clearing a screen quick, but it drains quick too. And Plant Barrier is really only good if you aren't good at avoiding shots again you have a better damage to energy ratio in Flame Blast. I guess Wind is good too, but if you're talking about eliminating two weapons from the game and you have identified your strongest damage to energy weapon, your next choice would almost have to be the armor penetrating weapon. You also can't rapid fire Blizzard.

As for weapons not being used much in the last half of the game, that's just not true. There are only a handful of areas where you are required to use an adapter, people tend to use them to eliminate the platforming aspect from the game (and then complain that it is too easy, much like people who break the platforming in NSMB2 with Raccoon Mario and then complain about it not being hard enough). The vast majority of the X and Wily stages can be done without adapters if you know where to jump or which route to take.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
#8Inuyasha1357(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 8:23:40 PM
qzecwx posted...
Pharaoh Shot can easily be replaced by one of the other weapons, and is only really noteworthy for speeding up handful of boss battles (none of which really need it; MM4 doesn't have anyone where you can get RNG screwed out of a perfect like Quick or Centaur, or at least not any that are meaningfully affected by Pharaoh Shot). You should ban Flash Stopper and Rain Flush because they'd be the most important ones to have in the narrow context of a no-damage run. Both can neutralize whole rooms with minimal effort.

MM3: Shadow Blade's the only one that really matters. While Gemini, Top, and Magnet are all decent weapons, it's of little to no detriment to go without them. I'd honestly pick Rush Jet second, with the obvious exemption for Doc Needle.

MM5: ....Huh. This one's actually pretty hard. Your go-to weapon for killing things is Gyro Attack, but there's invulnerability in Charge Kick, and Star Crash and Gravity Hold are pretty good for defense against projectiles and small, homing enemies respectively.

MM7: Freeze Cracker and Wild Coil. Have fun.

MM9: Jewel Satellite and Tornado Blow.

MM10: Triple Blade and Wheel Cutter. Blades are broken, obviously, and Wheel Cutter is generally a better shield weapon than Water Shield, which will fail to stop a bullet nine times out of ten if even one bubble is missing.

X2: This arsenal kinda sucks, so the best bans would simply be the weaknesses to some of the harder bosses. I recommend Strike Chain and Bubble Splash.

Thanks for the amazing response, but I wanted to make a few comments. I forgot to mention I am always banning rush and in the first games the numbered items and magnet beam. So banning rush jet does not count towards the two weapons that need banned. In addition I wanted to mention that I will be fighting all bosses that are not unfairly random with the buster only, so you may wish to reconsider some of them if bosses were part of the equation as suggested by X2. For example in Mega man 2, I used buster only on most of the bosses and still used flash stopper against quick man even though it was banned.
---