Changes from DS version?

#1Yeong-TaePosted 3/23/2013 5:30:40 PM
I've seen a few topics about the loss of a second limit break and Whyt, but I want to know if there are any changes in the story, cutscenes, and amount of voice dialogue.

I actually have the original DS version which I bought a long time ago and never got around to playing (still unwrapped!) cause I always ended up just playing the original or the PSP version. But I just bought the iOS version cause it's on sale and was wondering if there's even a reason to open the DS version now, or should I just leave it unwrapped since I'm a collector anyway.
---
Kim Yeong-Tae
From Korea, with love...
#2badboyPosted 3/24/2013 3:13:19 AM
They removed the FMVs, but the rest is the same as the DS version. The graphics are slightly better. About the story, I heard some dialogues were removed or summarized but I'm not sure if it's true. There's also an easier mode. Overall, I think the DS version is better.
#3Yeong-Tae(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 8:08:40 AM
Are the FMV's worth seeing? And were there many in the DS version?
---
Kim Yeong-Tae
From Korea, with love...
#4badboyPosted 3/24/2013 10:32:47 AM
Actually I remembered something, there's only one FMV (CGI) in the DS version which is the intro FMV that you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT12DW2Fm9M

All the normal cutscenes of the DS version exist in the iOS version.

It was the PSP version that had a bunch of CGI videos.
#5Yeong-Tae(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 6:10:33 AM
Ok, thanks. So aside from that FMV, the other dialogue and such haven't been changed I guess?

By the way, why do you prefer the DS version?
---
Kim Yeong-Tae
From Korea, with love...
#6badboyPosted 3/25/2013 6:59:02 AM(edited)
The DS version is more complete but this iOS release is quite good actually, not a major difference. Besides, in the DS version you can see the map on the other screen all the time, while in the iOS version you have to touch the map button then the map will appear over the entire screen, although if you move while the map is displayed, it will be slightly transparent.

About the dialogues, I'm not sure actually but if the FF Wiki is right, a few dialogues were abridged:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_Differences#iOS
#7Yeong-Tae(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 9:08:43 AM
Hmm...that wiki says the script is 'greatly abridged.' That bothers me, since I play RPG's mostly for story more than prettier graphics. Combine that with the FMV, Whyt, and the extra limit break..... I guess I'll have to open my DS copy after all.

Thanks for all the great info!
---
Kim Yeong-Tae
From Korea, with love...
#8SuperShroom333Posted 4/22/2013 4:46:39 AM
Pretty sure the abridged script is a false claim on the wikia. Graphics/framerate/loading times are much better on the iOS version. The only thing missing is the opening FMV and whyt (lol).