This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did the new Fire starter break the Chinese Zodiac theory?

#21King-gamerPosted 1/8/2013 6:23:43 AM
Foxes are sorta like dogs. Close enough. And we haven't seen his evo. He could still evolve into a dog.

Or he could be a very fox-like dog. Some dogs look kinda like foxes.
#22FuneralCakePosted 1/8/2013 6:25:15 AM
game2002 posted...
It's true, but to me, calling it a Fire Mouse Pokemon is good enough for it to represent a rat.

Like I said before, it's a translation (and also character limit) issue. These things have happened in practically every generation.
---
SERIOUSLY NOT HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?
#23game2002Posted 1/8/2013 6:34:03 AM
FuneralCake posted...
game2002 posted...
It's true, but to me, calling it a Fire Mouse Pokemon is good enough for it to represent a rat.

Like I said before, it's a translation (and also character limit) issue. These things have happened in practically every generation.

If you can provide its Japanese species name, then we'll talk.
---
Praise the Lord, our one true God!
#24FuneralCakePosted 1/8/2013 6:43:21 AM
Its Japanese species name is literally "fire mouse," but it's not right to look at it so literally. That's why we have mistranslations like Weedle being a "hairy bug," Zangoose being a "cat ferret," and Purugly being a "tiger cat."

In Weedle's case, one word for caterpillar literally translates to "hair bug." For Zangoose, the word for mongoose literally translates to "cat ferret," and for Purugly, the word for tabby cat literally translates to "tiger cat."

So, let's look at Cyndaquil. It's pretty obviously a fire porcupine or hedgehog, right? The Japanese word for hedgehog is literally "needle mouse." There wasn't enough space to fit "fire hedgehog," so hedgehog was abbreviated as "mouse."

Sandshrew got a similar treatment; the word for armadillo, which is literally "armor mouse" would not fit, so it was also abbreviated to just "mouse."

That's my take on it, anyway. It makes much more sense to me than some Chinese zodiac nonsense.
---
SERIOUSLY NOT HOME ROWED
want some funeral to go with that cake?
#25game2002Posted 1/8/2013 8:51:36 AM
Well, then we can say that Cyndaquil representing a rat is justified by its literal Japanese species name.
---
Praise the Lord, our one true God!