This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Starters evolution type

#11KEN181Posted 1/8/2013 6:39:06 AM
If all have a Double Type I'm going for:

Grass/Ground -> he looks so muddy, dunno
Fire/Psychic -> because foxes are more mental than fighter types
Water/Ice -> because of the white scarf-thing he has
---
Wilf > METROD > Phoenis PAUNCH!!!
Poke D/P Name: Rose FC: 4596 6778 0536
#12Yamato_sanPosted 1/8/2013 6:48:31 AM
considering they ended up turning the f***ing pig into a bipedal sumo wrestler, why do I get the sick feeling that GameFreak's gonna "surprise" us by giving Fennekin some unexpected evolution that happens to be yet another Fire/Fighting? And while we're at it, another 8 Gyms based off of types that were used frequently before (including a first Gym using Rock-types), and not a single Dark-type one. Oh TrollFreak, why you so troll?
#13DranoelLeonhartPosted 1/8/2013 7:39:53 AM
Hope it goes

Grass/Ground
Fire/Electric
Water/Ice

But if thats true, Froakie's final evo will be the one with only 2x weakness whereas Chespin and Fennekin's 4x. Unlikely this will happen...
---
This user will leave at any time, if s/he feels like it.
This user does what s/he wants! You have problem?
#14ynniPosted 1/8/2013 7:43:17 AM
That white stuff around Froakie's neck is most likely foam.
---
*Insert witty line*
#15Yamato_sanPosted 1/8/2013 11:15:11 AM(edited)
DranoelLeonhart posted...
Hope it goes

Grass/Ground
Fire/Electric
Water/Ice

But if thats true, Froakie's final evo will be the one with only 2x weakness whereas Chespin and Fennekin's 4x. Unlikely this will happen...

didn't stop it from happening in generation 1 (Charizard is 4x weak to Rock, and for those who don't recall, Venusaur's Grass/Poison was initially 4x weak to Bug). Besides, you wanna talk about unbalance, how 'bout the fact that Torterra's the only 4th gen starter with a 4x weakness, and said weakness so happens to be easily abused by Water-types? Being undoubtedly the slowest starter in existence combined with the other two having enough attack strength to off even its bulk in one hit doesn't help none.
#16SSJ2__GohanPosted 1/8/2013 3:20:23 PM(edited)
Here are my thoughts (note, I sometimes use a part of the Japanese name. I have absolutely no connections with Japan though, I simply use my experience of having seen hundreds of subbed anime of what sounds Japanese and what not, and I use a site for translations):

Chespin: He has an entirely differently colored backside which suggests it curls up as a defense. Others who curl up are all Ground type. While this note is controversial, I found that if you take the last part of its Japanese name (Maron) and make it more Japanese-sounding (Maru), one of its meanings is "curl up". Coincidence? And while I'm with that: his first part means (amongst other translations): "Chestnut", for the curious.
Anyway, furthermore, Its front is brown, Ground-type Pokemon are often brownish. Finally, its feet have long sturdy nails, which looks like he'd use them to dig (though his paws are lacking).
Verdict: Grass/Ground

Fennekin: His English name obviously comes from the Fennec Fox, a nocturnal big-eared fox. If we compare Fennekin to such a fox, it's quite obvious this localized name isn't just randomly taken. Nocturnal, Dark. Furthermore, it looks quite mischievous to me, it reminds me alot of Zorua and Purrloin, which is also how foxes are generally portraited. Though, it IS a bit too colorful, and I unfortunately can't do anything with its Japanese name. Still...
Verdict: Fire/Dark

Froakie: This one's a tough name, as it doesn't show a hint. Its Japanese name is like this: "Keru" is the sound a frog makes (according to anime) though it also means "kick" (perhaps on purpose? Water/Fighting? But he's not exactly a Fighting type... Though kicking would make quite sense for a fantasy frog), and "Matsu"... I think Splash is the best translation out of the list of translations (which... would happen if he'd kick the water? Regardless: it's water-themed), but it could also be Waiting (he has giant eyes: watching the enemy's movements before he makes a move), or perhaps a double meaning again.
verdicht: PERHAPS Water/Fighting
#17Yamato_sanPosted 1/8/2013 11:22:17 PM
SSJ2__Gohan posted...
I found that if you take the last part of its Japanese name (Maron) and make it more Japanese-sounding (Maru), one of its meanings is "curl up". Coincidence? And while I'm with that: his first part means (amongst other translations): "Chestnut", for the curious.

make a Japanese word more Japanese-sounding? Uh.... what? I mean, you might have a point if said word had a foreign root (possibly Chinese or other mainland Asian language, ancient Japanese having originally migrated from the mainland), but other than that, this makes no sense at all. Also, you got its name mixed up. The first part of its name isn't "maron" (that's the word that means "chestnut", not the first part), nor is it a corruption of "maru". Its name is "Harimaron", which has an extremely basic meaning if you know Japanese. "Hari"=needle, "maron"=chesnut.

Froakie: This one's a tough name, as it doesn't show a hint. Its Japanese name is like this: "Keru" is the sound a frog makes (according to anime) though it also means "kick" (perhaps on purpose? Water/Fighting? But he's not exactly a Fighting type... Though kicking would make quite sense for a fantasy frog), and "Matsu"... I think Splash is the best translation out of the list of translations (which... would happen if he'd kick the water? Regardless: it's water-themed), but it could also be Waiting (he has giant eyes: watching the enemy's movements before he makes a move), or perhaps a double meaning again.

"matsu" can also mean "powder". And the word you're thinking of is "kero", not "keru", and it really is just a frog's call. Although, "kero" can refer to kicking, being a potential alteration of the verb "keru". Still, I don't think it was intentionally used for the sake of a pun, I'm pretty sure they just went with "kero" due to its association with frogs.
#18Meta289Posted 1/8/2013 11:30:19 PM
jayman7 posted...
Monixion posted...
Grass/Dark(maybe Fighting)

It hit Golurk. Golurk is a Ghost-type. Fighting is out.

Chespin, of course, could have, you know, just have used a not Fighting type move.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
The Pokemon Cycle. Don't deny its existence.
#19PirateKing290Posted 1/8/2013 11:33:28 PM
Honestly?

Grass/Normal/Pure Grass/Grass Dark
Fire Pure/Psychic
Water/Flying/ELECTRIC

Really think Froakie's cloud coat will become a thunder cloud. CALLIN' IT.
---
PSN: Weeeler
http://www.youtube.com/user/LPWeewer
#20summerclawPosted 1/8/2013 11:36:05 PM
I read that a Stantler and I laughed and laughed and laughed.
---
In every loss, in every lie, in every truth that you'd deny
And each regret and each goodbye was a mistake too great to hide.