This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think we'll be able to transfer old pokemon?

#11mondrae205Posted 1/8/2013 9:05:00 AM
If they would have done it they would have done this in black/white
---
Congratulations, random chance is random and based on chance -Naucitos
#12paiprPosted 1/8/2013 10:16:38 AM
maybe they could make it so mime jr. only evolves if its male. and then get rid of all female mr. mimes!!
---
cant decide which movie is the worst movie; dragon ball z evolution, m.nights last air bender, or twilight????? hmmm
#13ClassyOldHatPosted 1/8/2013 11:02:42 AM
Guys, you don't need to cut off backwards compatibility to add new mechanics, change base stats, or anything like that.

Gold and Silver allowed backwards compatibility despite changing all Pokemon's base Special stats, adding genders, and new types.

The only things that might not transfer so easily if changed are the EV/IV systems, and even then, depending on HOW they're changed, it wouldn't likely be a huge obstacle. For example, if they decided to cut the IVs from 0-31 to 0-15, we could just halve the IVs of a Pokemon being transferred in.
#14Dark_Link92Posted 1/8/2013 11:11:18 AM
I would really hope we can. Locking off 3 of the most developed generations that people having been playing for over 10 years would be horrible. Something is telling me though that some major change will appear that stops us from being able to transfer.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#15darkus_fPosted 1/8/2013 11:12:37 AM
gnerdus posted...
I hope not. I really want a fresh start where everyone in on the same playing field.

This. I'll be leaving behind loads of shinies and competitive Pokes but I like the idea of a fresh start. Probably won't happen though.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549
White2 FC: 0047-1293-2356
#16deevo117Posted 1/8/2013 11:16:19 AM
ClassyOldHat posted...
Guys, you don't need to cut off backwards compatibility to add new mechanics, change base stats, or anything like that.

Gold and Silver allowed backwards compatibility despite changing all Pokemon's base Special stats, adding genders, and new types.

The only things that might not transfer so easily if changed are the EV/IV systems, and even then, depending on HOW they're changed, it wouldn't likely be a huge obstacle. For example, if they decided to cut the IVs from 0-31 to 0-15, we could just halve the IVs of a Pokemon being transferred in.

This. People forget that Special Atk and Special Def used to just be "Special"

They did that for over 250 pokes way back in the 90's when technology was slower, and less advanced.

It'd honestly would just be a simple altercation of numbers, not hard.
---
Pokemon Diamond FC -Name:Broskie - 0088 0032 6515 Pokemon Platinum FC - Name:Brohan - 4126 1664 9399
Pokemon White FC - Name Broheim - 1506 7007 0431
#17Haku125Posted 1/8/2013 11:25:28 AM
How would you possibly be able to complete your pokedex without transferring from past games. There is no way they would make all 649 pokemon available in the game as well as the new ones
---
Superbot: Oh you want us to nerf Sackboy? Here why don't we break the game for you!
#18Ampharos64Posted 1/8/2013 11:28:39 AM
gnerdus posted...
I hope not. I really want a fresh start where everyone in on the same playing field.

That would last for about five minutes, though. People into competitive battling would very quickly either edit Pokes, or breed good competitive ones legitly. It's a fresh start to an extent anyway, since the introduction of new Pokes changes the competitive scene.

I wouldn't buy it if you can't, anyway. Didn't get R/S back in the day due to that, and only even got back into Pokemon with Platinum. I have too many Pokemon I've spent time training to want to play a new Gen if I can't move them over. If they want to change mechanics, yeah, all they need do is change numbers, and perhaps not allow transferring Pokemon with certain moves, should be doable. I don't think there should be any reason a region lockout should happen again, it's not like trying to connect the GB and GBA when it hadn't been planned for.
#19ZeroArcheryPosted 1/8/2013 11:35:31 AM
I'd love it. We'd have a Legit Pokemon Experience for once, since Hacks wouldn't be available for a while.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#20paiprPosted 1/8/2013 11:57:07 AM
My biggest question to those who say don't lock it due to loosing old Pokemon. The question is how do you play other games? Pokemon is a rareness where trading is allowed, between the old and the new. If you play sports games can you handle not having won seasons already in the game? In fps, do you not play new ones since you haven't progressed through the story yet? Do you avoid new platforming games because you don't have full access to all areas? Do you ever start an RPG over?

transferring is great, and I can't imagine them locking the 3ds games from the ds ones since two will be a year old stateside. But still not playing a great series because you can't import your perfect/shiny/level 100's over seems a bit extreme. And its not like it would take forever for "the missing" Pokemon to be accessible again.
---
cant decide which movie is the worst movie; dragon ball z evolution, m.nights last air bender, or twilight????? hmmm