This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Implications of a Simultaneous Worldwide 3DS Release

#1QuagsireQingPosted 1/8/2013 10:51:19 AM
The runup leading to the release of XY, and the days after are going to be very different from past releases. Let's look at how:

Reveals
No longer will Pokemon be revealed in Japanese ages before English, French and German. New Pokemon are liable to be revealed with all their international names at the same time. The same goes for new Moves, Abilities, and locations. This will be the first generation where English name-guessing will not be a thing.

Discoveries
Every generation until now, the first thing we've done to the games after release is rip the ROMs apart to extract all the data we can. A complete look at all the Pokemon, moves, events and music has been possible. The 3DS has not yet been fully hacked (though this could change before release), meaning no ROMs. We'll be discovering new Pokemon only by playing the games, and might never know when we've truly discovered them all. Event legendaries might go hidden in the game code for months or years before GameFreak unveils them, if they don't leave them out of the code entirely and release them as DLC. Even more exciting, some of these Pokemon may be discovered for the first time in a game that isn't Japanese.

Extra-game Materials
One of the reasons we need to delve into the game ROMs and play the games to find out information is because GameFreak never announced every Pokemon before the game's release. The Japanese guide books are released after the games, so a complete compendium of all the new game data is not available at launch. By the time the games launch internationally, The Pokemon Company International has had time to translate the Japanese guides and can release them day-and-date with the games, so they're ready for us from the get-go. Even if the simultaneous localization includes the strategy guides this time around, we still won't have them available at game launch, unless that changes.

All of this put together means that everyone around the world, you, me, everyone, will be starting off their adventures with no idea of what to expect, beyond what GameFreak shares with us over the course of the year. It's a return to the old days of the second gen, before most of us spent much time on the internet, where we won't know exactly what we're sitting down to play until we're playing it!
---
"Cats...are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well."
--S. Miyamoto
#2spooky96Posted 1/8/2013 10:52:17 AM
tl;dr
---
Roughly I seed 4x more than I download.
#3DarkHeroRavenPosted 1/8/2013 10:54:06 AM
Yes. This all excites me. I think I'm gonna try to stay away from further news about the games so I can relive that childish sense of exploration and discovery once again.
---
http://backloggery.com/RavenTheObsidian
#4JC152Posted 1/8/2013 10:54:18 AM
QuagsireQing posted...
The runup leading to the release of XY, and the days after are going to be very different from past releases. Let's look at how:

Reveals
No longer will Pokemon be revealed in Japanese ages before English, French and German. New Pokemon are liable to be revealed with all their international names at the same time. The same goes for new Moves, Abilities, and locations. This will be the first generation where English name-guessing will not be a thing.

That is likely to be still false. The rest of the world does not have Coro Coro Comics to show us stuff, so its likely we will get the Japanese only names prior to the English names.
#5kirbydude385Posted 1/8/2013 10:55:27 AM
we also will have many more possible sources of information instead of just corocoro and the occasional pokemon smash announcement
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous
#6vital_tundraPosted 1/8/2013 10:56:30 AM
Yup, sounds pretty cool. Although I have a feeling we will get all the information about the game before release anyway.
---
I wish Blastoise was my dad. He wouldn't beat my mom like what her boyfriend, Johnny does. If Blastoise was my dad things would be different around here.
#7MilsoPosted 1/8/2013 10:58:00 AM
Most of the stuff revealed in CoroCoro/Pokemon Sunday will likely just appear on the official website shortly after. There's no reason to assume reveals will all still revolve around Japan, when there's a bigger audience outside of Japan getting the game at the same time.

The fact we won't all know every single Pokemon long before the games come out here is definitely one aspect that really excites me too.
---
rawr
#8abbyhitterPosted 1/8/2013 11:01:29 AM
spooky96 posted...
tl;dr

You missed out on a good read. I agree with everything that the TC said. I am tired of Serebii spoiling the game before I can play it. Now, we all play it at the same time and discover new things on our own.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#9SlimeStackPosted 1/8/2013 11:01:32 AM
I'm curious about the anime. Surely TPCi will want CN to air Ash's venture into Gen 6 in October? That means they have to catch up to Japan. I'd love that if it did happen.
#10Grand KirbyPosted 1/8/2013 11:04:56 AM
Still, how I wonder how this will affect supplementary material. For example, the anime isn't that far behind the Japanese version, but I still highly doubt we're going to get episodes and movies around the same time as they do. That will affect reveals and stuff.

I always thought one of the biggest reasons the games took a while to be translated wasn't just the effort into actually doing it, it was trying to synchronize the release of all the supporting material, like the anime, and the trading card game releases, which always come out around the same time.
---
Okay, I rolled a 14. What's that mean? Hsu
That you're a cheater. This is a 12-sided die. Chan