This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What the online experience SHOULD be like

#1FrankulaPosted 1/9/2013 12:44:26 AM
So I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls lately, and I think that Pokemon could learn a valuable lesson about how to create a deeper experience.

How online works in Dark Souls
For those of you who have never played Dark Souls, the online basically works like this:
-As you play through the game, you see random ghosts of players who are in the same area. They only appear for a couple of seconds, and then fade away. This is just cool to see other people randomly, and keeps them from interrupting your gameplay (you can't interact with them at all)
-Players can "invade" your game, and you generally have to kill or be killed.
-You can summon other players to help you with bosses, or to challenge to a fight. These summonings happen just by activating a summon sign that appears where they placed it on the ground in their game.
-Most of these summons and invades have level criteria's (unless certain items are used) so that you do not have large discrepancies in levels between players interacting with each other (basically to balance so that people don't just troll low levels and what not)

How this kind of integrated online play could work for Pokemon :
-As you play, you connect with random players who show up in your game. ( There would not be more than 1 or 2 other players in your world at one time)
-You can interact with them just like you would with any NPC, and of course you can simply just ignore them and go about your business.
-You will have the option to trade and battle with these trainers

This basically integrates your playthrough with that of millions of players around the world. I personally think this would be freaking epic. Of course you would still be able to trade and battle with people via methods similar to how you can in the recent Pokemon games. This would just add to the online functionality.
---
Now i know why they call it salt, it's so di YUM
#2seth_sage12300Posted 1/9/2013 12:45:50 AM
As long as you're not FORCED to interact with those 'invading' your game, or at least have the option of turning off 'invaders,' I think this is an absolutely magnificent idea.
---
Official member of the Omastar Club.
Official Gen 6 First Route Generic Bird of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#3Frankula(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 12:48:56 AM
seth_sage12300 posted...
As long as you're not FORCED to interact with those 'invading' your game, or at least have the option of turning off 'invaders,' I think this is an absolutely magnificent idea.

Of course! I feel you should definitely be able to turn off the feature. And the trainers would exist in the world just as all the NPC's. It would not interrupt your game experience at all if you choose to ignore them (unless they approach you and ask you for a battle/ trade. To safe guard against spamming requests I would guess that after someone has declined, thaey can not be asked again by that trainer)
---
#4hardknock55Posted 1/9/2013 12:49:33 AM
I've always wished for a way to interact with other trainers like face to face in eachothers game. I think it's possible and im hoping that we can customize our own trainers.
---
Dragons Dogma: Shadow(assassin) Pawn: Circe(Mage/Sorcerer)
#5Frankula(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 12:51:52 AM
I think this would be really cool, because as you progress through the game you could battle other players who are at the same part in the game. It would make you feel like you are not alone!
---
#6kylekillgannonPosted 1/9/2013 12:53:21 AM
I disagree with this based on the arrogance in your title and the fact that I hate the Dark Souls fanbase with a burning passion.
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#7AhnoldDoodPosted 1/9/2013 12:54:29 AM
I'd like an entire area where you can talk, invite, and battle other trainers. Like a convention, only in the video game.
#8deevo117Posted 1/9/2013 12:54:44 AM
I think this would be very difficult to incorporate into WiFi with a handheld 3DS game.

However, this honestly sounds like it could be implemented perfectly via a StreetPass mechanic or something though. It'd be super interesting.

I freaking loved Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls was pretty good too.
---
Official Manectric of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#9Frankula(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 12:55:39 AM
kylekillgannon posted...
I disagree with this based on the arrogance in your title and the fact that I hate the Dark Souls fanbase with a burning passion.

I understand your first point, but quite honestly in my experience with Gamefaqs, if I made a well thought out and logical topic title NOBODY would read my post. I purposely made it provoking so that people wouldn't pass it up.

The idea has nothing to do with the game itself or the fanbase, so your 2nd reason doesn't really make much sense.
---
#10UPhailPosted 1/9/2013 12:55:47 AM
All I want for Pokeween is online travel/battle companions.
---
Derp.